Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

September 10Th

Shira
Sign in to follow this  

Hi Everyone!

I finally made it here! I'm a 42 year old mother of 4.

I am scheduled to have a Lap Band over a previous Gastric Bypass surgery (from 2000) on September 10th.

I am using Dr Ren at NYU. She gives us a liquid diet of Protein Shakes and veggies 2 weeks before the surgery. However, after I saw her 2 weeks ago I decided that I wanted to get a jump start and I put myself on a modified liquid diet for the time being. Thank Gd it is going pretty well. I feel free of the stress from food. It might be slightly easier for me to be on the liquid diet because I did have the gastric bypass so long ago. My stomach is still smaller to some extent.

I also started seeing the Cognitive Behavioral Therapist that NYU recommends. Initially I just went for the consultation for the insurance company but I decided to start seeing him specifically because I know that my success will come with modification of my behaviors.

I have spent YEARS and years and years thinking that if I just solved this or that problem in my life - worked harder in therapy, etc... then the weight would come off. While all that work was amazing in terms of improving my life, it didn't do much for my weight! I am really trying to set myself up to succeed this time. I see that it's all in my behavior. I never learned to eat well so I never did!

I think of the Lap Band as a tool and certainly not as a solution. I know it's a lot of work and no panacea - but I'm ready to live in the body that I want and deserve!!

Looking forward to sharing, supporting and loosing with all of you!

Shira

341 (GBS, 2000)

NOW 290

Goal: 180 or less. :)

Hi Shira and September Bandsters

Shira, how is the liquid diet going? I leave on Saturday for a cruise with my husband and Son, I get back two days before my pre-op with the Nutrionist and the Dr., I will start my liquid diet the next day when I get back. I'm really going to watch what I eat on this cruise, it' would be great to come back and have lost a pound or two. I can't beleive some of us are only a little over 3 weeks away from our surgery!!!

I don't know about you guys, but now that its getting so close, it's on my mind constantly..... Hope all is well with everyone.

Enjoy your cruise! I am doing pretty well. I am not officially on the liquid diet until august 27th but I am doing a partial version that is going well. It's also been on my mind constantly and I think the stress of the unknown and anxiety (albeit it mild) about surgery is making by back hurt. Ok, the weight isn't exactly helping either. But I noticed that my back is SO tense. I am getting a massage today just to chillax!

Thanks so much!! Yes, a massage sounds like a great idea, I hold my stress in my shoulders and lower back. I hope you feel better after yours. I will check in with all of you when I get back.

Take care........

Lynn

I'm going on a cruise before I get banded also! I start my liquid diet and have my pre-op testing shortly after I get back.

I'm not going to worry about food on the cruise. Not that I'm doing a "one last hurrah" pig out...I think I'll just eat normally, and just relax before what is going to be a VERY eventful September.

When do you leave DisneyNut? I'm going to enjoy myself but REALLY try hard not to gain any weight, not with having to see the dr. for pre op two days after I get back.

It's coming soon, but for now time to enjoy, as you said a VERY eventful September coming up!!!

I leave Sept. 2nd. I''m going to focus on the activities and let the food take care of itself (for this one last time).

I'm just worried that my blood sugar will go sky-high!

Hi Everyone, I am scheduled to get banded on Sept 10th. I keep hearing everyone say they are going on a pre-surgery liquid diet. My Dr. hasn't mentioned and pre-surgery diet to me at all. Is this something I should ask him about. I'm getting very nervous and want to make sure I am doing everything the correct way. Best of luck to all of you with your surgeries and I wish you all a quick and speedy recovery.

Hi yankee girl, welcome!!!!

Yes, it wouldn't hurt to ask your dr. They are all different in the're requirements, most. drs require some sort of pre-op diet becuase they want to shrink your liver, it makes it easier for them to get to your stomach. It can be as short as a week before surgery to a month before surgery. Some are just liquid, some are sugar busters, i've heard of so many, it really makes you wonder which is the best, but it's just better to follow your dr's. orders, so just ask. I think they all get the same outcome, just different roads traveled. So don't be nervous, it sounds like your on top of things. Let us know what your dr. wants you to do / or not do pre-op, just curious. Your going to do great, we are all getting close!!!

Thanks! I can't wait. I'm so excited, nervous, scared and so many other emotions all at once lol. but most of all I can't wait to start my new life. Will be nice to lose weight and hopefully become a healthier person. I am going to give my Dr. a call Monday morning to find out about the pre-op diet. I will let you know what he says.