Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New Here....finally Admitting I Need A Major Shift!

Hello! My struggle is similar to many I have read here. I've been obese since I was 10, lost and gained portions of weight. Have always thought I will be able to do it some day. Try, try again right?

I recently got what I consider 2 taps on the shoulder. Tap 1: At a funeral of a doctor who was an amazing man, a speaker challenged us all to use Dr. Jim's death of a wake-up call for our health. We could honor him, but honoring ourselves. Made me think about how I needed to actualize this. Tap 2. I switched primary care physicians, and the new doctor asked me "You've been severly overweight for 40 years and keep trying. Do you really think you can do it with just dieting....maybe you need to consider weight loss surgery?" Excellent question she asked.....reality check. I can't do it alone.

So here I am..listening to the taps....40 years old, wife and mother of a 6 year old girl, 300 pounds. I'm good at everything else in my life but this.

Now it's my turn.

Going to an information session at the University of Penn Hospital next Thursday....eager to learn more about the whole process. Met with a wonderful women from church who is 3 years post...she gave me some great insights. Really eager to get the ball rolling.

So fortunate to have a wonderful husband who is 100% supportive and supportive from the very small circle I have told about what I am considering. Not letting everyone know yet....not interested in anyone derailing me right now.

Thanks for listening!

Karen

Your story is inspiring! Thanks for sharing it. Good luck with the informational meeting. You are just beginning an exciting part of your journey. When you're motivated to start anew, nothing can happen fast enough :)

Congratulations Karen for taking the first steps. I'm new to all this, too. I'm 8 days post op and did all my homework before deciding to do it. Took many months. I thought about it for a long time and when I did mention it to family or friends, they would react very negatively with comments about me not needing something so drastic, not being "big enough" or how people die from weight loss surgery. The responses were not supportive at all! One suggestions was, "just stop eating"

Educate yourself and make the decision that's best for you! The advise of doctors you respect and trust will guide your decision. I chose NOT to tell anyone other than my husband and my doctors - maybe that will change one day, but for now I need to keep my attitude positive and the negative naysayers are not what I need. My PCP and OB/GYN supported this decision and right now I'm not up for the comments or questions. This site also provides great support!! Best wishes to you!!

You are doing the right thing - the only thing you will regret is not doing it years ago. Oh well, better late than never. BEST OF LUCK TO US ALL ON OUR JOURNEYS!!!! ;)

Karen I can really connect with what you are saying as many other here will. You have found a great spot to vent, talk, receive support, and Celebrate. This is such a great forum. I am in my 6 months pre op diet now and I am counting down the days. I LOVE the fact that you are doing this for YOU! Keep us posted on your progress.

Karen I so relate to you. I think I was seven when I started gaining weight. Yesterday I weighed in at 298. The surgery went great. I too have someone at church that has been a tremendous friend. She even came to my work and had a Protein Shake with me for lunch during my preop diet. I also had a lot of prayers going up. Mentally spiritually and physically I was ready. I have been researching and praying about it 5 years. even with a little discomfort I would do it again. No regrets!