Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A (Rare) Compliment To The Band

Now being band free for 10 days (and feeling better than I have in months!!!) I will say that my 2 1/2 years of banded life helped me develop significantly better eating habits and made me realize I won't die if I don't eat XXX (insert any of the many foods I couldn't eat while banded here). I realized this As I ate my glorious 6 inch sub and apple slices today at lunch. 3 years ago it would have been a foot long, chips, and soda, I'd say that's not too bad of a trade!

Sorry if it seems I've hijacked this forum but just working through A LOT of stuff as I adjust to non-banded life and wait for my bypass. I realized earlier this week I have some anger associated with all of this. (originally I thought it was all shock and disappointment). I picked the band because it's not permanent, if there a complication it can be removed, yet, here I sit with some degree of permanent damage and scarring....I'm not placing blame, don't start yelling at me, just saying this is a surprise I wasn't prepared for. I assumed the band came out and everything was back to normal. Bad assumption on my part!

But anyway, thanks band for teaching me I won't starve to death if I don't give in to those cravings! I owe ya one! (but you owe me many more)

I think there are other ways of looking at it too.

Lets say that you had a problem with your leg, your Dr will probably offer the least invasive surgery first. You will probably be told that it has a good chance of success but that it is not guaranteed. Most of us would be happy to try that. If it doesn't succeed and it then turns out that we do indeed have to have our leg amputated we will know that we gave all the other options a shot first.

The band is similar. It works for many but not all. Most of us when we are trying to commit to WLS are happy to do something like the band but would not be ready at that point to go for a sleeve or a bypass. If it works great. If you are one of the unlucky ones and something goes wrong at least you know you gave the minimally invasive option it's best shot first before trying the more drastic solution.

Wishing you all the best with your bypass and fingers crossed that you manage the waiting period until then without too much stress and gain.

Oh I'll be fine, but thank you. The waiting and not knowing when are driving my OCD planning everything out self nuts. However, to put my minor issues into perspective, my mom is a renal failure patient who has been on the transplant list for 15 months and God only knows how much longer she will remain there. Truly, I have no right to complain.

I'd be complaining too. I think it's only natural. Things haven't turned out the way you wanted/expected so it's only normal to be a bit upset.

I agree! The band taught me as well! After much sliming the first year though because I have a hard head!

Congrats and good luck with the bypass! Hope your mother is going to be ok.

I got banded in Oct of last year and every month I would go to my Dr. visits and get a fill. For 9 months I just didn't feel like it was working. I insisted he check my band and discovered it had a leak. So I got rebanded 2 weeks ago. And I can truely say that it is definitely working.

Many of us say we like the band because it is reversible. Truth is, it really isn't. Bypass is reversible, too. They CAN put it back together again. They are finding as bands are in longer, that scarring and permanent changes are occurring. That part of the "sales pitch" needs to change. The band is not meant to be temporary, no one should enter into with the mindset that it can be removed if it fails.

Christie, I am not saying you did this. I remember when you got banded. I say this for people researching now and reading your post. There are long-term consequences to being banded that we did not know about when we were banded. They are coming to light as we get to 5 years out, and hopefully keep going.

You made an educated decision based on the information you had AT THE TIME. You did your best with your band. Now, you've made your best decision based on what information you have now. I know you will give bypass your all. I pray you come through it with flying colors and all your troubles are behind you.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

BTW..I had an unfill a month and a half ago. I ate the whole 6" sub yesterday! :o

I read all the threads and see the newbies saying they are getting the band because it's easily reversed and want to yell HELLO!!!! It's not that easy kids!!!! I mean, in the grand scheme the surgery (both getting it in and getting it out) was fairly easy but I know my doc is guilty of glossing over the long term consequences even now! But this is the same man who essentially chewed me out for having a slipped band (truly, I think it's because it hurts his stats....) and would not even consider the possibility that it was anything other than my fault, can you tell he makes me warm and fuzzy??? I was not the perfect band patient, I should have exercised more and I did occasionally hit the ice cream for dessert with my son but the first year I followed pretty much all his rules to a T and was having issues even back then. But I also wasn't a bad band patient. I didn't eat the stuff I wasn't supposed to eat, i ate small portions, focused on Protein, small bites, and chewed my heart out. I can only recall getting truly stuck once (cheese stick about 6 weeks post op, scared the hell out of me!). My issues seemed to be more reactive or inflammatory in nature. Allergies or sinus drainage killed me, the week before my period was horrible, my son gave me a GI virus that was almost the death of me (this is actually where I think the slip started), stress tightened me up and sent me back to liquids as well.

I stopped posting a few years ago because of the animosity amongst the posters. I came here for support post-op when I was starving to death and couldn't figure out what was wrong and left because of the band nazis who knew everything and anytime there was an issue it was your fault, always your fault, never a chance that sometimes stuff happens. I've been reading the bypass and sleeve boards as well and just don't see the hostility there that I see here sometimes. Makes me sad that when we're supposd to be supporting each other sometimes we chose to tear each other down instead....

Thank you all for your kind words, I will be fine. I always am! I don't know if any of you remember my story or not but I'm the girl that 8 1/2 years ago walked out on an abusive husband with a 5 day old son and $50 in my checking account....and now I have just the most amazing young man and we have such an amazing life. This is simply a bump in the road. Sometimes the bumps hurt but they're there for a reason and hopefully make us stronger in the end.

That said, sometimes I do want to whine about it all!!! That's why I'm here :P

Thank you all for your kind words, I will be fine. I always am! I don't know if any of you remember my story or not but I'm the girl that 8 1/2 years ago walked out on an abusive husband with a 5 day old son and $50 in my checking account....and now I have just the most amazing young man and we have such an amazing life. This is simply a bump in the road. Sometimes the bumps hurt but they're there for a reason and hopefully make us stronger in the end.

I don't remember your story but it sounds pretty amazing. I am glad that things have turned around for you :)

Christie, I remember your troubles from our "banded together" thread, although I don't think you went into great detail.

I am sad that is why you left the boards, I missed your presence here, and your experience can help others. I think we are learning more as bands are longer in place and slips are happening more.

Sometimes our actions can contribute to a slip, but certainly not always. Then you have me, who was too tight for 6 months, and I could not get into my surgeon (non-related band illness and insurance snafu). I was vomiting often. When I did get in, I was told I was quite fortunate I didn't slip or have a dilated esophagus. Yes, I know that, ask my insurance company why the kept denying my request to see you!!!!!

It's funny though..I am glad you've gotten a good reception on the other boards. I went to a sleeve board to learn about the procedure. I wanted to be able to answer questions here when newbies ask "which should I get?" When I stated I was a happy bandster, my welcome was less than warm...far less. If I had been having troubles I'd have been welcomed with open arms, I am sure. It would sure be nice if we could all keep in mind that complications are not the fault of the patient, and ALL WLS procedures are good.

Please stick around here to help others in your situation...which could be any of us at any time!

Christiemr please continue to post & let us know how you are doing! I always enjoy reading your posts & learn a lot from them! I'm 3 years out & have had my fair share of bumps on the road. I always thought I was following the Lap band way but i never seemed to do as well as others. So it's nice to read your posts. Take care & please continue to post!

Glad I found this site today. I was banded 5 years ago and had to have band removed last Thursday. I have lost 110 lbs and would like to loose 20 more. I was having pain and reflux and went to the dr and we did a GI xray and my stomach was going up into the esophagus and it was quite dilated. This was a total shock to me as I still had restriction and hadn't changed my eating habits over the 5 years. Right now I am so concerned about whatever I put in my mouth. I am hoping my brain cooperates with me and keeps me on the right track. I do not regret having the band put in, but wish I would have had an xray on my last year's visit and maybe we could have salvaged the band. It cannot be put back in and I would have to be self pay to do any further WLS surgery. I am hoping that if I start encountering any problems with what I eat that Weight Watchers may be a tool for me to use. I have no fat clothes left and just purchased a size smaller jean about 4 weeks ago before I found out about my problem. Things happen for a reason and the band was a tool to get me on the right track. I do a lot of Water aerobic exercise and may just have to increase it a little.

Thanks for letting me vent my frustrations.

I am being totally obsessive about everything i eat right now. Not trying to lose but I would like to maintain until I can get my bypass. My fitness pal has become my new addiction :P. seriously, how much easier would surgery be at 225 lbs than 295???? Moving, walking, and breathing are all easier, surgery would have to be too!!!

Just know that sometimes bands get jacked up, not necessarily something you did or didn't do. Stay active, focus on the Protein, and take time to heal. We are here to help in anyway possible!!! Oh and if it hasn't hit already you're probably going to hit a mourning phase and an anger phase with the loss of your band. There is a HUGE emotional component to unexpected band removal at I was totally unprepared for.

Yes Christie, it was a definite emotional hit for me. I cried for days. This was my tool and it has helped me for 5 years and now I feel lost. I kept thinking the dr was wrong, but my husband kept reminding me that I saw the xray too. It hasn't been a week yet, but I still don't care about food. Hope that continues. Been hitting the Protein drinks. I did tell my doctor that if I can maintain this weight I would be happy, because I am so much healthier and have so much energy. It just scared me when the nurse told me that 99% of the people that had bands removed gained all the weight back in a year. Well, I am going to be the one percent that doesn't. As long as I keep my mind in the right place I will be ok.

Thanks for sharing!!