Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Drinking Alcohol After Lap Band...

Would like to know ppls experience of drinking alcohol after lap band. I am normally a beer. Drinker but have had the lap band almost 1 month I haven't tried drinking any beer im scared it may stretch my stomach from the bloating that comes along. I have drank some daquari and margarita drinks which I still have some bloating aftr about 2 drinks any suggestion of what u post lapbanders are drinkin alcohol wise????

Most doctors will ask you to not drink any alcohol for 6 months. Why? It lowers you inhibitions and you might eat too much or foods you shouldn't eat. Also, carbonated beverages will expand in your stomach and if you drink too much could cause the sutures around your stomach to tear away.

However, we all live in the real world so here's what I do. I limit myself to 1-2 drinks per week. Occasionally I'll have a beer. Just one. Sometimes we have wine and I may have two glasses of wine.

Alcoholic beverages are empty calories and should be avoided as much as possible.

tmf

My dr did not allow any alchohol til 6 mos but reminds patients that its just empty calories.

Beer has carbonation which is a no no for my dr.

I do drink margs and daquiris but they are sooo high in calories.

I try and stick with crystal light or sf lemonade mixed with vodka or rum.

This is the real world and I drink my wine when ever I get ready and have lost 108 pounds. So just try to use moderation with what you do. I would not deprive myself. Enjoy your journey.

I generally drink wine but a lot less these days. As you are eating less you tend to feel the effects a lot quicker. Do not be tempted to overdo it as there is nothing worse than waking up in the middle of the night with severe nausea and not being able to hurl to make yourself feel better.

I'm a wine drinker and make sure I allow for the "empty calories". I have to get all my Protein in before I allow myself those empty calories. I know it has slowed my weight loss, but as long as I'm still losing, I'm not going to worry about it.

I generally drink wine but a lot less these days. As you are eating less you tend to feel the effects a lot quicker. Do not be tempted to overdo it as there is nothing worse than waking up in the middle of the night with severe nausea and not being able to hurl to make yourself feel better.

Hurl! I had not thought of that. Hurling would be very bad and when I was younger I hurled my share. You're right though, I just had a beer thanks to thebestmom prompting and one beer is like 2 beers a year ago.

tmf

All your comments give me great advice. I will be drinking rarely and in moderation probably wine, daquari and such. I appriciate you all taking the time to share thank you:)

Would like to know ppls experience of drinking alcohol after lap band. I am normally a beer. Drinker but have had the lap band almost 1 month I haven't tried drinking any beer im scared it may stretch my stomach from the bloating that comes along. I have drank some daquari and margarita drinks which I still have some bloating aftr about 2 drinks any suggestion of what u post lapbanders are drinkin alcohol wise????

i have either dry red wine or dry white. Very nice, especially the white with ice and cold soda.I dont have any affects.

I just volunteer to be the designated driver! I find that alcohol affects me more quickly now than when I was 63kg heavier and it's just not worth the risk of overeating due to lowered inhibitions, or to my driver's license. I still have a great time and I remember it all the next day!

I'm a wine drinker and make sure I allow for the "empty calories". I have to get all my Protein in before I allow myself those empty calories. I know it has slowed my weight loss' date=' but as long as I'm still losing, I'm not going to worry about it.[/quote']

Me too. Anything is fine in moderation and I love my evening wine with my hubby!

Me too. Anything is fine in moderation and I love my evening wine with my hubby!

when i want decent weight loss i give red wine up altogether... when i want to slow the loss down i have two a night.

I just wanted to add what happened to me yesterday with regards to alcohol. I am 2 years post op. I must say I feel the effects of alcohol so much stronger than before. Yesterday I had a friend over and although I only drink occasionally thought it would be fun to get a bit tipsy. I had 3 carbonated ciders mixed with vanilla vodka. The cider was 4.5% alcohol as well so I really didn't have any mixer with it. I got so drunk so fast and before I knew it I was staggering around and falling down drunk! I passed out and in the middle of the night was doing the dry heaving. It was also coming out as diarrhea. I wanted to die! My stomach wanted to get rid of the alcohol but my band was preventing it from coming up. My husband asked me how much I'd had to drink and was surprised to hear I'd only had 3 drinks! Please use caution my friends. I will never EVER do that again! So not worth it.

I am one month post op too and I broke my sobriety on Friday. I had 2 glasses of wine and I was fine. I did felt sorta bad about it but I got back on track the next day.

I was banded on May 9th and was a huge beer drinker before surgery. Now when I go out its all about moderation .. I have vodka with a splash of cranberry and per my doctor its ok once and awhile. I would check with your doctor to be on the safe said