Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Soon After Surgery Can I Go Jet Skiing? (Realistically)

My doc seems wayyy too chilled, so I would love to get opinions from people who have actually had surgery and can tell me how long it took for them to be able to get active/go into the Water

Thanks everyone!

BTW, surgery is scheduled for 8/17! can't wait!

Oh, and BTW, how to I edit my ticker to reflect a 2 lb weight loss? I keep pressing the "edit" button but it prompts me to make a whole new one

THANKS!

Im not allowed in the Water till a month out from surgery. Im okay with this only cuz i wouldnt want any bacteria getting pass my incisions anyway. I am missing the pool and lake though during these hot summer days! :(

Well, first about the ticker. When you edit it will automatically restart you at the beginning, but all your current choices are selected. Just move forward through them with the NEXT button until you get to the point where you change your weight, then hit finish.

I wasn't aloud in anything but the shower for 6 weeks. I was paranoid about getting some type of fungus as well. Haha. Not to mention the rush of Water that will be hitting your body on a jet ski. I would definitely wait until your incisions are completely closed and stitches/bandages are gone. Unless you are in Cali or Florida, I think I would save the jet skiing for next summer. =)

I was told no full on showering for the first week. I believe my Dr said it was fine to go back in Water after two weeks OR after all incisions were closed.

Also consider the potential impact of hitting the Water going fast. I asked my surgeon last month when I could start full contact MMA- type classes and he strongly advised against anything that may cause a direct sudden pressure to the port area. Maybe depends on how good you are in the jetski ;)

I also wondered about this very thing. My doc is chilled too. I didn't specifically ask about jet skiing, but the issue with infection, in their eyes is a non-issue after a week, even encouraging whirlpool to help gas pains. It has only been 3 weeks for me and I feel perfectly capable of jet-skiing. I am pretty proficient at it though and don't fall often.

I went on vacation the second week after surgery and I jet skied. I was fine. I was tender but I had plastic over my steri strips and so no Water could get in. They never said anything to me about not getting in the lake or whatever so it wasn't until after (reading here) that I realized maybe it wasn't a good idea. I think whatever you can handle. I went to the drive in movie on my 7th day post op and was in a ton of pain but by a few days later was fine and on the lake. Good luck to you.

Thanks guys,

I'm pretty good on the ski so I'm not worried about falling out, and i wear a life jacket so i'm guessing my incisions won't get too wet but i'm still gonna wait at least two weeks

Thanks everyone