Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sore, sore feet-rarely mentioned

Does anyone else have pain in their feet when walking? I didn't used to have painful feet until I gained weight. They simply hurt from top to bottom when I'm walking and if I get up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom I have all I can do just to get them to move very painfully. I don't hear many people mention their feet, so perhaps this isn't a major problem for lots of you. I went to Walmart today to get groceries and I have the sorest dogone feet you can even imagine. I didn't think I was going to get all my groceries in the house. Anyone else have problems???

I've seen foot doctors in the past and had shots in them that really didn't last long. I have a neuroma in the sole of one foot, but that has been there a long time (surgically removed twice and came back), but my feet hurt ALL over and I mean from top to bottom. Is is weight? Do you think the lap banding will cure the problem? I always wear really good walking shoes, but nothing helps. My poor dog hasen't had a good walk in so long he forgets what it's like and I feel so guilty but I just can't go around the block with him. My heart dr. asks me how I am when I see him and I just tell him my feet hurt...he just laughs and says "not my speciality". Aside from my feet I don't suffer from any other problems that seem to disable me.

I had bad feet when I was 100 lbs heavier. I used to wake up in the morning and want to die from the pain of trying to walk my first few steps...but since my weight loss I have no pain in my feet what so ever

Hi Doty ~ I too experience foot pain, but most of the time it's concentrated in my left heel. Mine is definitely related to my weight b/c it went away last year when I lost 32 lbs.

My first thought for you is neuropathy. I hate to say that nasty word, but you are describing the same symptoms my mother has. She cannot be on her feet for any length of time and the pain is all over like you describe. It's now moving up her legs.

I know you were a nurse so perhaps your already familiar with the condition. Regardless, you may want to bring it up with your PCP and get some feedback.

I feel bad for you b/c Wal-Mart is so huge these days and it takes a lot of walking. :cry Prop those puppies up and relax! Also, get in one of those electric buggy things and drive around next time instead of walking.

Foot pain, walking like an old crippled woman, groaning when I stand up, begging Dawg to rub my aching, burning feet at night - all in the top ten list of why I got banded!

Yep, my feet hurt all the time too...except when I am sitting down or lying down. LOL. I have plantar fasciits of the left heel...my left leg is about 6 mm longer so I bear my weight on that foot most. Hurts like hades.

I used to work retail and stood on my feet for about 60 hrs a week. The weightI gained caused my feet to hurt more than when I was thin and working retail. The two things that also caused my foot pain was Water retention and something called plantar (I just forgot the word) but I had to have long term good shoes and surgery. I would encourage you to see a foot doctor and find out what shoes you need to support you feet whille you lose the weight. I noticed a big change iln my feet with only the 30 lbs lost already. Hope you get relief, I know that feelilng when you step out of bed at night literallly squeze the water out of the foot pads from swollen feet. ugh I feel for you.

i used to have the same problem. i would wake in the night with super sore feet or after a days work my dogs would be BARKING! since losing weight 100+ lbs it doesnt bother me at all anymore!!

i dont have any suggestions in the meantime because that was the only thing that helped.

I still have the pain in my feet which makes walking the dog for exercise harder. I'm currently doing the elpitical machine at the gym for 30 minutes 5 or 6 days a week plus some of the bike and weights. I'd love to walk more (and my dog would be estactic) but the pain in my feet still stop me from taking very long walks.

I hope when I finally start losing that I will be able to walk more and get up in the night without the pain.

As a matter of fact, it was through seeking treatment for the foot pain that I was shoved into thinking about lapband surgery! I am so grateful for that orthopedic surgeon who was blunt enough to just tell me that there was nothing he could do if I was going to remain at 286 pounds! I've lost 56 pounds so far, and the difference in the pain is incredible...only after walking a long time do I feel any pain at all! So, work hard with your band, losing weight will really help!

Cindy

I am so glad to hear that others are having the same problem as I am. I was beginning to think I was the only one. I have also noticed that the recent increase in my weight the increase in the pain. Now to get some of this off as I await for the approval of my insurance. Good luck to everyone and their continual weight loss and the decreasing of everyones pain to all their joints that hurt.

Not that I would ever wish anyone this horrible foot pain, but I can see I'm not alone and that in itself is one of the reasons I come here....so I can learn and ask. I guess I knew it was the weight I had gained, but just didn't want to face up to it. I've been checked out for other problems, but my foot dr. has never kindly said "it is the weight". I'm so sorry for all of you that go through this. I can't wait to be on the way to a healthier life and these feet are one of the major reasons I wanted the lap banding. Apparently I sure can't do it on my own because at Walmart these darned Peanut Butter eggs kept trying to find their way into my cart....had to beat them off :) My weakness is chocolate. It will always make me feel better, but I think in this case it has added to my pain.

Thanks so much for sharing your experiences with me. I didn't want to take one of those cart things because I always feel that really, really handicapped people should be in them....like people on walkers and amputees. Besides I would get no excercise if I give in to these demons and stay off my feet. I may never get up again.

Thanks all.:)

My feet have been really painful for about the last year, and YES, I am at my heaviest.

I do, however, have a temporary solution that has worked for me... I went to our "Foot Solutions" store here and bought the pricey incerts for my shoes. Also, I have learned to buy "stiff" shoes, and shoes with better heel support. It has made a HUGE difference.

Best money I have spent, but only because my band isn't installed yet!

Hi Dody;

you could be suffering from "Plantar Fasciitis", an inflammation of one of the tendons on your foot. Before you go and buy some expensive insoles or orthotics, please find a good physical therapist and have them tape your foot. If it works you will know it immediately and if not then too. A good PT can even teach you how to tape yourself. It would be worth a trial.

Archermom, I've tried having my feet taped, also paid a fortune for orthodic inserts, nothing has helped. I'm wearing New Balance shoes which were recommended by my dr. I do have plantar faschiitis for sure and I know it, but it seems incurable. I also have a neuroma in the ball of my foot and my heels are killing me. I've had a number of injections that only work for a few days. I've tried everything possible, but just wanted to see if anyone else suffered with sore feet. I'm convinced with some weight off I'll feel better.

I also might not be so short of breath if I take some weight off. I was worried it was my heart, but it isn't. I think my cardiologist was just too kind to say "you're too chubby". He is so thrilled I don't smoke anymore that he would prefer I be fat...what a trade-off.

Before losing my 70 or so lbs, I thought I would finally just give up because of my feet and legs. I certainly understand wondering if you can make it back to the car from shopping. :) Totally humiliating ..

I have circulation problems which add to the problem, but I can honestly say the weight loss is the best thing I could have done for the foot/ankle pain that was stealing my life... Good luck!