Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

still know restriction

Hi i had the lap band surgery on 12/29 and had my first fill on 2/6 and my second on 2/20 and still have no restriction i have heard from others that this is normal any advice would be appreciated.

How many cc's is in your band now? Maybe you can tell your doctor to be a little bit more aggressive when doing the next fill?

Hi Patty,

Have you asked your doctor why you feel no restriction? Perhaps he's intending to 'sneak up' on the right amount, and at this point you're only partway there. Does he use fluoro for your fills and do you do a drink test when you're there? What was that like?

It's also very possible that your fill will "kick in" after another week or so. That's a common occurrence, so many people suggest letting at least three or four weeks go by before concluding that you need another adjustment. But ask your doctor first if he expects that you should have restriction now, and if he says no you'll have your answer!

I am really not sure what he uses. I have notice i do get a little fuller than i use to i had never heard that it could take a week or so before its tight. I had planned on going back the 3/5/04 for another fill. Maybe i should wait.

what does the port look like?

i am unclear on the fills but i am catching

on by reading all of your comments.

but what it looks like has not been described...or i haven't read about it yet.

thanks

Originally posted by lupelevenstein

what does the port look like?

i am unclear on the fills but i am catching

on by reading all of your comments.

but what it looks like has not been described...or i haven't read about it yet.

thanks

Hi Lupe,

You cannot see your port once you have been banded. It is under the skin, so you can feel it. I have to push in some, but I have heard that others can see the form of the port poking out from under the skin. You can find a picture of the Lap-Band which shows the "port" at the following website:

http://www.inamed.com/products/obesity/us/patient/patient.html#lapband

Hi Patty,

I was banded the same day as you, and I had one fill of .6 on Feb. 18. I have not noticed a difference. I am scheduled to have another on April 7. From all I have read, it seems that reaching desired restriction is very individual, but I can tell you that I am most certainly not there. I do eat less than I used to, but it is still difficult. I have lost about 20 pounds (mostly right after the surgery), but I am struggling to keep from gaining. I am trying to be patient, but sometimes I get depressed and feel like I went through all of this for nothing, since I don't feel much different. I really HOPE that it will change.

Sultana

I know how you feel its hard not to be depressed. I to can't eat like i use to but i can still eat pretty good. I also struggle to keep the weight off. I go back 3/5 for another fill hope this works. I do have a question why will it be April before you get another fill?

I hope the next one works keep in touch good luck.

Hi Patty,

I did just have a fill in late Feb. I orginally had an appointment to get another on March 24, but I changed it to early April because I will be on spring break and will not have to miss school (I'm a teacher). It is a longer wait, but I HATE to miss school, and I have missed more days this year than I have the entirety of my career before this year. Not all were banding days; I had two deaths in my family. Boy, this is more than you need to know, eh? I am trying to be patient and convince myself that when I get to the right restriction point, that I will lose weight. I have not been losing since I lost the post op pounds, and that can be depressing because it makes me feel like this band will not work. I do exercise and watch what I eat so I am maintaining my lost pounds, but it is not easy! Try to be positive and patient. I'm good at positve, but patience is not one of my more admirable qualities. Let me know how you do, okay?

Good luck with your fill. I think your doing a good job i haven't exerise in a while and i really haven't been watching what i eat I keep telling myself that when i have more restriction i will do better. Hang in there. I know it's hard but i think it will work.