Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

200 Pounds, Need The Surgery....but Mexico?

Hi all:

I live in NY State, I'm 5'1", and weigh just under 200 pounds. I've battled weight my whole life, and in the last couple of years -- surprise, surprise -- I just can't lose, but I can gain at the drop of a hat.

I am looking into Lap Band surgery that I can afford, since I have no insurance and am not eligible for Care Credit because of a bankruptcy a couple of years ago.

Looking for a good package deal. Found the Tijuana doctors first, but I still have all those fears about going to Mexico for surgery. I'm sure there have been 1000s of great experiences, but of course, the press has always focused on the failures.

I also found Dr. Weaver in Denver, who offers a package for under $9K, which is about the most I can afford.

Still looking to see if there are other states before I bite the bullet and head South of the Border.

Hope to hear back from you!

:D

Blue Heron

My suggestion to you is make sure you find a local surgeon who will do your fills if you have surgery elsewhere.

Holly Dolly is spot on correct!

If you do decide to go to Mexico for surgery, it's crucial you find a local doctor to do your fills and care for you before the actual surgery. Most US surgeons won't touch someone who was banded in Mexico so finding one can be a big problem. That's why it's crucial you find one first otherwise you risk coming home with a band and no one to fill it.

Thanks, there is a local doctor, and it says on his site that he will do fills even if the surgery was held elsewhere for $250 per fill. But I will call when they're open to triple-check.

I am a Mexico "graduate" I would do it again in a heartbeat I didn't have insurance, I didn't weigh enough, etc etc.. I'd yo yoed up and down all my life. I was so depressed I was sure I was going to be the fat girl forever. I tipped the scale at 197... .for the 10th time.. I'd just lost and gained the same 50 pounds....Id just done the HCG diet..I was so sure I'd lost if for good this time and gave away all my fat clothes.. a year later.. I Jlooking at 200 again.. What was wrong with me????

Go back with me to January, 2012.... miserable, depressed, out of control eating. No motivation to diet, just regained 50 pounds...knee joints aching, can't fit into anything. Dumped by the boyfriend...Beginning to think, thats it life's over for me...I should throw in the towel and accept it all...

And then I glanced at the pictures of my two wonderful sons....and thought of how their lives were just beginning.. both in school... one studying law, the other premed...was I really going to let them down.. and just dissolve into this depressed mess of a person... or was I going to fight????

I was going to fight....

and I did fight...

I decided to fight with a vengence.... and Mexico played a huge part in this determination.

I got off my butt... I searched the internet..

I didn't have insurance to cover lap band surgery. I didn't even have the money.. I did however have a line of credit on my house.. and I did make the decision to use it!!!

January 24th I made the phone call. Feb 9th I was banded

I didn't have to go through 6 months of psychological counselling and reams of insurance issues.

I took my $5,000, wrote a deposit check and a bank note for the balance.

I got into my car... I drove to a border crossing

A van picked me up (if I'd flown they would have gotten me at the airport)

I was driven to a surgery center.. I was preoped, I was banded and recovered the same day

I stayed in a wonderful hotel overnight with some great people I met who also had surgery that day

I drank Soup, I ate popsicles, I went home the next day

I drove myself 90 miles to my home...I recovered in a week and went back to work

So began my journey...

It is 6 months later.. I have had 2 fills and a slight unfill....I have lost 59 pounds. i went from 197 to 138, from a size 18 to a size 8

I would do this again in a heart beat...

I believed going to Mexico to the surgeon I went to, saved my life...it gave me back my life.. and if it had not been for this affordable alternative, I am sure I would be completely miserable right now... instead I am healthy, happy, and going to zumba 6 times a weeks. What can I say? Viva La Mexico!

I need to hear more stories like this, Lydia. Thank you, you completely told my story in your opening paragraph (except I luckily have a very loving and supportive husband and THREE kids - 23, 16, and 12.

Could you please message me the doctor you used? I have made contact with Dr. Almanza and Jerusalem Hospital, but I've heard some negative comments about the location of the clinic.

Thanks,

Blue Heron

Lydia, I am sure you get your fills in Mexico but wanted to let you know that my dr does see patients now that he hasn't done their surgery for. Just in case you ever have an emergency situation. I know you live near by. He has an office in Irvine on Tues and the rest of the week in Brea. www.oliakcenter.com

Dr Georgescu will do fills in Thornton but I don't know what he charges? Snyder charges about $10K for the lapband.

tmf

im in idaho its 7400

That's a good price -- who is the surgeon or the group?

OH, duh, just saw the name of your surgeon on your post! :rolleyes:

You can always go to the bar at the top of this page and click on surgeons. You can see all the local surgeons for where you live. If you live in CO send me a message if you want the scoop on doctors? Not that I know them all but I do know some good seminars and nutritionists.

tmf

Hey BBH I'm in NY state also

Hello BBH I'm in NY state also

I have heard that Dr. Ortiz is probably the best in Mexico. He actually trains US surgeons and Oprah had him on a few years ago to discuss the surgery. I think he's about the same price as Dr. Weaver though...