Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New Here, In The Early Stages Of "thinking About It"

Hello! I found this forum when doing some on-line research. I am only now starting to think about having this surgery. A few years ago my primary doc brought it up, but I left it on the back burner. I have a new doc now and am nervous to even bring it up to her. I have been up and down with my weight....I lose some and gain it back. One time I managed to lose 100# over the course of a year or 2 but it slowly started creeping back on and now I am about 20# less than my starting weight from that time.

But now I have more health issues that I am not even sure would preclude me from the surgery. Because of having RA I take a lot of meds, plus fibromyalgia and bipolar disease and interstitial cystitis. I know a couple of these meds can contribute to weight gain, but can't stop taking them without a lot of pain, etc. Without these meds I don't function so til now I've just thought weight gain was a necessary evil. I exercise but it doesn't help the weight, although does help a bit with pain, yet if I overdo it my pain is worse. So it's not like I can do a lot more than I do now. Whenever I try it sets me back. I hesitate to bring the surgery up to my doc for fear of being shot down, don't want to get my hopes up.

My BMI is less than 40 (38) so not sure if I'd even qualify. I know I need to talk to my doc. Is there anybody here with similar health issues that has any insight or suggestions?

I think your insurance also looks at your co-morbititiys when accounting for the payment for the lapband. Even tho arthritis isn't listed as one, per se - I'm sure your arthritis gets better at a lower weight. My insurance said "a bmi of >40, or >35 with at least 1 co-morbitity. I have a spinal problem that requires me to take a few different meds everyday. Some of those meds are notorious for making you gain weight. But I think they mean like a lb or 2 - not 100. I don't seem to have any problems anymore with these same meds. I've even cut down on my antidepressants - to 1 a day instead of 3 of them. Cut down on my blood pressure meds too. Thank God!

Just wanted to tell you that I think you have a chance at getting the lapband paid for even with a BMI of <40. Make sure your dr puts in your record how your arthritis would benefit you at a lower weight.

Good luck!

Marci

I was on a lot of meds when I started this, I have Multiple Sclerosis.

The cool thing is, I've been able to get off the majority of pain meds except for on an "as needed" basis. Losing weight has significantly helped to ease the stress on my body thus decrease the amount of pain I'm in.

Being as you have RA, I suspect you'd see a drastic reduction in pain as well because it would be so much less stress on your joints.

I do believe you'd qualify despite having a BMI under 40 because you have co-morbidites. I'd check with your insurance to be sure.

Best wishes on whatever path you choose.

I also have bipolar disorder, fibromyalgia, and intersticial cystitis... Along with other health problems... I am having my first consult with the surgeon on thurs... My primary doctor says I will be a good candidate for the surgery... I think my BMi is right around 40... Maybe a little higher... I am hoping for the best... But I wouldnt be worried about being shot down... My mom always told me that you will never know unless you ask... Good luck :-) I am here if you ever need to talk :-)

I feel very much in the same boat with you. I just got banded last Wednesday. I had been "thinking about it" for almost a year, and then finally jumped into a program in June. My bmi was only 38 and I'm "too healthy" to qualify for insurance, so I ended up choosing to pay for it out of pocket (ouch). A few days after the procedure, and I really have my ups and downs emotionally, but I have not once wished I didn't get it done. I am so excited to stop this up and down with my weight and get on with my life! I certainly don't think this is for everyone, but it could be for you.

I am just switching my antidepressants to bipolar meds under the supervision of my psychiatrist, but other than that I can't relate with the other health conditions. I think it comes down to what your heart wants. Do you want to eat whatever you want when you want and be like this, or do you want a very difficult change that will probably be better for you in the long run? For the most part, I wanted the latter. However today I was digging around for a vase and saw my beloved mixer sitting lonely in the corner with no cookie dough to whip up. That was surprisingly tough! It's been incredibly insightful going through this process and learning my triggers and becoming more in touch with my emotions.

At the very least, you might want to go to a psychiatrist for a weight loss surgery evaluation. Most doctors require them prior to weight loss surgery. Mine was very pointed and brought up some insight I hadn't thought about before (triggers, ways to calm myself without food, emotional connection, etc.)

I wish you the best in your personal Quest :)

Thank you all so much for your advice and support. I have just called and made an appointment to see my primary doctor in a couple weeks. I already have both a therapist and psychiatrist I see.

It's definitely true that weighing less would decrease my pain. Being overweight does not cause RA, but the weight does put too much stress on already stressed joints. I also had surgery for plantar fasciitis almost 2 years ago and even with new orthotics last spring am feeling some pain and do NOT want to go through that pain again! Weight definitely makes plantar fasciitis worse.

I am so sick of being this way. I exercise as much as I can, but it does nothing :(

Which reminds me....after surgery how quickly do you recover in terms of going back to work and being able to exercise? I'm a nurse, so I know everybody heals differently, but don't want to go without exercising for too long. It's so hard to get back into it!

Taking a first step by calling your doctor! That's exciting and you'll get more info :)

At least you exercise!!! (oops did I say that out loud?) I hope to start exercising in 3 weeks. I went back to work for 2 hours yesterday (Monday) and 3 today (Tuesday). My surgery was last Wednesday. I sit at a desk, and had to keep my chair in major-reclined position to be comfortable. My ab muscles just weren't ready to hold me up yet. My doctor said the most exercise I can do for 4 weeks would be walk 30 minutes/day. No lifting over 10-15 lbs until then either.

Well I started exercising as part of physical therapy for my fibromyalgia (exercise helps). I got out of it then had to go back with shoulder problems. When I finished PT I started a type of bridging program at the gym I do my therapy at. You don't get therapy but full use o the gym for $25 a month. It's small and intimate and even though it's not really close to home I enjoy coming (never thought I'd say that haha!) like right now on the bike I can get on my iPhone and do stuff on like. Then there is a machine called a nustep shin is sort of like a recumbant seated elliptical that is way easier on my knees. I usually have my iPad and read and maybe watch a movie. Makes things go faster, if I don't have anything to do it is a chore! It does make me nervous that I'd have to go that long without coming, although walking will help some. It's just super hard to come back if I go too long. Like I said the exercise helps my fibro and even my RA, but walking will help prevent stiffness and I know how important it is to be up walking after surgery (I am a nurse).

That's the other thing, because I am on my feet most of my 8 hour stuff it usually means more time off after surgery. But if I start putting away a little money now it will help with the loss of income.

The other thing is, although I speak with my husband a lot about my weight (he is overweight too) I never mentioned my interest in the surgery except in passing. I've been afraid he wouldn't want me to do it. We talked about it last night and he is all for it! I told him it will be hard work and he said that's ok because it would force him to work too. The big thing is right now we enable each other. I told h that needs to stop and he agreed. I feel a lot better after talking to him ;)

Of course this is still just the beginning, have to see what my doc says and go from there. Thank you for the support!

I had the same fears as you. I to have severe RA and have gained an enormous amount of weight from my meds as well. But if I don't take them I'm basicly paralyzed!!! My doc at first wasn't for it when I brought it up a year ago. But since then my health had got a lot worse. I went to a seminar about the band and talked to a couple friends of mine who had it and it made my decision easier!! I then made an appointment with my doc and told him my decision! He said he was on board and happy to help!! He reffered me to one of the best barriatric surgeons and I got my appointment this month!!

My husband is nervous about my decision but in the same breath hes so supportive. He told me that he would love me no matter what size I am and he would cut any doorway down to get me out of any room!!! It was a little weird but sweet!! He told me no matter how big u get your heart stays the same size!!! So to him my size has never changed!!! Do what u feel is right!!

I was scared but now I'm brave and doing this for me and my family!!!

I'm so glad your husband is supportive!! So you're kinda doing this for the two of you! Try to think of it as a new fun way to do things together... cook together, shop together, get him involved in this forum maybe? It'll be exciting to see what the doctor says!

I'm also glad you're used to exercising regularly. I'm not, and I know it will be a change/fight to start exercising but I want to. I need a healthier outlet, and since I can't binge eat anymore, exercise is a very logical choice!

Well if it hadn't been for going to PT I'd not have gotten into exercising. I used to go to Curves but got out of it, it gets boring after a while. I know that going into any surgery is easier if you already exercise...I know it helped after my foot surgery.

My appointment is Friday. She's only been my doc for a few months (my old doc left the medical field). I know her from being my kids' doc but only seen her for myself once and her PA once. I hope she will be open minded. I'm sure I'll have to talk to my rheumatologist too, but this is a start. I am excited! :)

welcome Sphinx. Most insurance companies will take your co-morbitities in to account, some, like my son-in-law's will not. That being said, most of us have the yoyo effect of weightloss, that is why lapband is so good for us. Good luck on your research and search for the right thing for you. Karen

Well I finally found my insurance company's coverage info (impossible to find on their website, finally received response to my email and was able to find it). For BMI 35 it lists comorbidities of hypertension, sleep apnea and type 2 diabetes. I'm not sure how flexible they'd be in allowing my arthritis,etc. it also lists 6 month dieting under dr supervision but then says OR 3 months program, not sure what the difference is. Call me crazy but I'd hoped that my dr just stating my dieting history would be enough but it very specifically says every dr visit must be documented. That's fine but what I wonder is if I do manage to lose weight, I I dip below BMI of 35 (I'm 38 now) if they cover me. If I did manage to lose that much weight (doubtful) and they don't cover me what happens when I gain it back? Cuz I always do. Believe me if I could lose weight and keep it off without surgery that would be awesome, but it's always a yoyo with me no matter how hard I try.

Well it remains to be seen if my primary doc will support me too. I'll see on Friday. I also need to get psych eval but I'm sure I'll be ok. My bipolar is well managed and under control for quite some time.

So wish me luck Friday :)

I saw my doc yesterday and she gave me the referral :)

wow!! How do you feel about getting a referral? Scared? Excited? Both? What's your next step?