Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Calling All Vetran Bandsters

Guest 30Sumthn

Guest 30Sumthn

Hi there!

Well, first, let me tell you what a difficult, long, trying, educational, and WONDERFUL pre-op journey this has been! I've learned so much ... not only about the Band, good eating habits, and proper nutrition, but more importantly, about MYSELF. I have a pulmonary function test tomorrow (I'm now 8 days smoke-free), and it's possible (hopefully LIKELY) that I could get a surgery date tomorrow!

[Hint, hint: I'm asking for prayers and good wishes here folks! LOL]

I'm a single working mother of a 3 1/2 year old, and only really give her dinners (well, weekends she gets a biiigggg breakfast) ... and that's ONLY when she's not at my parents'. I REFUSE to cook elaborate meals (even low-carb, low fat ones) every day JUST FOR MYSELF. Some of the recipes I've seen look delicious, but are FARRRRR too much effort for me to bear! LOL

My question is this:

What do you vetrans feel about frozen Entrees? For me, they are inexpensive, quick, convenient, and lately, more nutritious with lower-carb options. For me, they have variety, and a fairly nutritionally balanced selection. Far better than I could (or would) do if I had to cook myself. But, alas, this is PRE-op. LOL

I know the size of my stomach has shrunk considerably since losing some weight (in fact, for the first time ... EVER today, I could not finish my lunch!), but I'd like to know from successful bandster if/when/how much they can eat of a typical frozen entree meal?

Will I have to eliminate them from my diet? I'm terrified that if I'm forced to cook for myself, I'd be back at fried chicken, smothered pork chops and gravy ... AGAIN.

I know everyone is different, but I'd like to know if I could reasonably eat one (or even half of one?) as a lunch/dinner meal? Would it slow my weight loss considerably? (Truthfully, I credit these meals with helping me with my biggest demon ... Portion Control ... I've lost 15 pounds ... and it would have been much more had I stuck the to the boxes instead of eating "whatever"!)

I would think that an experienced bandster (6 months or so) could eat a typical low-carb LeanCuisine for lunch and maybe add a small green salad if chosing that for dinner? Any/all opinions and insight would be highly appreciated.

Thanks for your help

Staci

Pre-Op

267/242/???

You will be able to eat whatever you want after being banded. You just have to findout what foods you can tolerate without pbing.

Hi Staci

I'm impressed, Protein:21 Grams,

I'll have to try this one and get back to you. I do Cook alot for the kids and man.....

: Glazed chicken

Brand: Lean Cuisine Sub-brand: Café Classics

Ounces: 8.500 Servings: 1.00

Calories: 230 Calories from Fat: 40

Total Fat: 5.00 g Total Fat % Daily Value*: 7 %

Saturated Fat: 1.00 g Saturated Fat % Daily Value*: 4 %

Polyunsaturated Fat: 1.50 g Monounsaturated Fat: 1.00 g

Cholesterol: 55.00 mg Cholesterol % Daily Value*: 16 %

Sodium: 480.00 mg Sodium % Daily Value*: 19 %

Total Carbohydrate: 25.00 g Total Carbohydrate % Daily Value*: 8 %

Dietary Fiber: 0 g Dietary Fiber % Daily Value*: 0 %

Sugars: 7.00 g Protein: 21.00 g

Vitamin A % Daily Value: 2 % Vitamin C % Daily Value: 4 %

Calcium % Daily Value: 2 % Iron % Daily Value: 2 %

Potassium: 500.00 mg Potassium % Daily Value*: 14 %

Weight Watcher Value: 5.00 Diet Exchanges: 2 Lean meat, 1 Starch, 1 Vegetable

* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.:rolleyes:

Hi Stacy -

I stock up on the Healthy Choice frozen Entrees, although I must say these last ones just haven't tasted that good to me - don't know if it's my taste that has changed, or what. Anyway, today I had the chicken grill with barbeque sauce.

I ate all the chicken (barely - it was pretty dry), and all the broccoli/red peppers/corn. Didn't touch any of the potatos, and could really have stopped at least two pieces of chicken sooner than I did.

I am single and live alone, and I also hate the muss and fuss of making elaborate meals just for myself. I go through cycles of doing the Healthy Choice frozen dinners, grilling a package of chicken breasts/porkchops/hamburgers for the week, or occasionally a bean-type Soup from the crock pot. I am seriously deficient in veggies, fruit is virtually non-existent. Sigh.

So I think the frozen entrees can be a big help, although if you read the ingredients it sounds as though the meat is doctored with things besides meat (even though it looks like whole pieces of grilled chicken/beef), which I was surprised at, and maybe that's why I'm less enamoured of the taste.

I do find that grilling a bunch of meat all at once, and then freezing individual portions is a lot easier and less time consuming than cooking everyday, and it's cheaper than frozen dinners.

Good luck!

I don't cook all that much, but when I do, I tend to make a one dish meal ( I like the recipe book "365 one-dish meals"). These are skillet or casserole dinners with Protein, veggies, and starch in them. I tend to choose the ones with the least starch. Anyway, I make one of these on the weekends and eat it all week. I should make 1/2 recipe because even that would last me all week (only for dinner). But if you want to go the frozen food route, I don't see a problem with it. Depending on your restriction though, you may end up wasting some of it and they're expensive.

Nancy

Yep, I eat Healthy Choice and Lean Cuisine meals all the time because it's easier than cooking. I stock up when they're on sale (seems like one or the other is usually on sale).

I think it would be reasonable to expect to be able to eat half of a HC/LC meal with good restriction. I usually just end up eating it for two meals when that happens. With some of them, I'm able to eat the whole thing in one sitting, but I don't think that's a bad thing since most of them are pretty sensible calorie-wise, and good sources of Protein.< /p>