Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Will Someone Please Show Me The Way To Sucess??

I'm having such a difficult time losing :( I was banded Sept. 2011. I'm down close to 50 but a lot of that was pre surgery/weight watchers etc.

I'm exercising and I'm trying but I'm starving and I eat. I saw my surgeon today and I'm up to 10cc in an 11cc band. He told me there is a low success rate for band patients but those that do succeed do so in a big way.

I'm looking for the secrets to your success! Helpppp. It was all I could do not to cry in that office. Such a downer to still be struggling.

Thanks in advance!!!!

wow, I can not believe he told you there was a low success rate for lapband! Are you logging your intake and keeping your calories low? Journalling has been key for me. Weighing and measuring everything I eat also. I struggled for quite some time with hunger, even now the band hasn't really curbed my hunger except for when my band was too tight. My dr prescribed phentermine for 3 months for me, it really helped. I know a lot of people are against diet pills, but they were a huge help for me from about 8 to 11 months in.

I wish you luck!

For me I have decided this is my last chance to be successful.

Pre surgery I was frozen with the fear of failure. I then became determined to make this successful.

I have changed one thing at a time and now 11 days post op I am down 2 dress sizes from the beginning of my journey 6 months ago and very happy to Celebrate my success!

I have gone on the Dr.Oz web site for some great recipes. I try really hard to only take in healthy foods and limit my carbs with almost no sugar.(sugar is the devil)

I was told to have 80-100grams of Protein and 100 oz. Of Water daily, I am making every effort to do that. My day starts with a shake and I eat healthy portions for lunch and dinner. I am new to this and working hard to stay on track.

If I can assist....please contact me...you too can do this!

Like Holly Dolly, for me tracking food is key. I track my calories as well as my nutrients. I also make sure my meals never equal more than 1 cup total.

If you haven't already, I would highly suggest meeting with a nutritionist. I follow the guidelines mine set for me and I know that is a huge part of why I've lost the weight I have.

My secret? Exercise and lots of it! I'm at the gym 5 days a week.

I second what other people were saying about logging your food. I use My Fitness Pal to track what I'm eating and I find it helps keep me accountable. Exercise is another big one! Be mindful of the amount of sugar you are taking in. Drink lots of Water. Most other drinks have lots of sugar!

I also agree, when I really want to see the scale move, I write down everything and it is a good habbit to get into..but also what is weird is that you are already at 10 in an 11 cc band, I am pretty new on this as I have only been banded since Mar but am down 50pds, but maybe there is some issues with your band, or the fill is not hitting it correctly?

I agree I read these people that are at 5cc or empty and losing. I "get" that the band is only a tool and some of this is my responsibility but I am truly truly starving sometimes. I guess a big part of me thought this was a magic pill and maybe that's why I'm not successful??

I AM exercising like a maniac. I do an hour long bootcamp class full of things I've never done nor ever thot I would do. I go most days 5-6 and walk or do hot yoga the other day(s). I track on myfitnesspal but I'm not satisfied and I'm eating too much.

I was hoping food would be less of an issue and I would have more control but I feel like I'm white knuckling it all the time and I'm close to maximum capacity!

Thanks for all your advise. I'm still trying. I won't surrender haha :) hoping this gets easier...

I've never been a tracker and lost weight successfully without it, but that's easier if you have plenty to lose and have a reasonably healthy metabolism. I always knew "roughly" what I ate (what lifelong dieter doesnt). That was enough.

However, long story short, got sick, had other surgeries, got really really thin while unfilled, had trouble getting restriction back, got healthier, regained weight. I've put back a few kilos more than I really wanted to and now that I'm already thin, I really MUST log or that 300 calories or so that make all the difference creep in unnoticed.

But my tips - consistency is the real key. Doesnt matter what you do or dont do as long as you keep at it day after day, week after week, month after month. Make it doable and something you can continue rather than an all or nothing approach that will continue to have you falling off the wagon and having to get back on. Slow and steady wins this race!

Same with exercise. I dont feel any compulsion to kill myself with Insanity (not that its not a great program). I like running. I dont care what the experts say about strength training or cardio or whatever, its what I like, so its what I do and I'm consistent, five or six days a week for the last almost seven years. Pays off big time. Plus I think running is THE most effective fat burner out there, despite what all the "experts" say.

I did not get restriction until 10.6 cc's in a 11 cc band. I am a slow loser. Part of that I think is because I had lost 100 pounds preop. For six months after getting restriction I was doing 1.5-2.5 hours of cardio 7 days a week; eating less than 1200 cals a day and loosing less than 1 pound a week.

Honk-when you got restriction was it easier? Hunger wise?

hey, sorry to hear you're having such a tough time with all this. I know you're frustrated. I was banded shortly after you, (mid dec 2011) down 50 lbs too. im at the green zone , finally, on my 8th fill. before that i was eating way too much at times and would stop losing. I was HUNGRY ! i found the drs advice to fill up on Protein and fruits and veggies 1st to be very helpful. then i have little room for carbs and sweets. when i do have carbs its usually whole wheat products, and for sweets its weight watchers ice cream or skinny cow brand. tracking on my fitness pal and swimming 3 x a week has been a huge help towards my weight loss. hope this helps ! Good luck !!

Wow ! Sorry to hear that:-/

My advice would be to make sure you follow the basic band rules.

1.no more than 1 cup of food per meal

2. Protein FIRST then veggie then carb if there is room.

3.no drinking with meals.

4. Small bites chew chew chew

5. 30 min or less to eat.what ever is left after 30 min.stays on the plate

Also get checked make sure your band hasn't slipped or flipped.

Good luck to you !