Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Crunchy Knees!

I was doing my Water classes and then moved up to zumba- recently started the step aerobic weight training which I love- but started feeling acky around the knees which now have become crunchy ( im 59) and little sore, NOT sure what to do- some say its the shoe,s others say it the weights, anyone?? If I stop doing my gym work-outs aghhghg-- :wacko:

What you are describing reads like you may be harming your knees. From my experience, and what I have been told by my orthopedist "crunchy joints" are not normal, and the "crunchy" sound or feeling may be cartilage being damaged or ligaments which may be inflamed.

Either way, it would be a sound idea for you to be evaluated by an orthopedist to be certain you are not harming your knees by participating in an impact exercise program.

I agree crunchy is bad. Water aerobics can be pretty intense. Speak with the instructor and ask how to make the water work out harder. Classes are often conducted with older people in mind; but you can make them MUCH harder.

I am 28 and have a crunchy knee. I fell your pain. I finally went to the Dr a few years ago after a year of pain. After a few weeks of physical therapy I learned how to help my lnee but it will never be 100 or even 80% again.I would say stop the stuff that Hurts or produces the crunching sound and see the Dr so they get it properly diagnosed and your doing more harm than good

You're doing all this exercising, that's awesome! However, if you have crunchy knee's you may be doing permanent damage. See an orthopedic surgeon or doctor and have x-rays done. It sounds like you may be losing cartilage or have already lost it. It doesn't come back once it's gone. The doc might suggest Synvisc shots to improve, or cushion your joints.Or cortizone shots.

I had crunchy, painful knees for years, ignored it and ended up losing all the cartilage in both knees. I'm only 46 and had to have both knees replaced recently. Now this may not be your case, but I'd definately get some x-rays done just to be safe. You don't want to end up like me.

I've had some trouble with my knees a few years ago, I was recommended Water aerobics to minimize the impact, however the pain continued.

If it doesn't get any better, contact your doctor and let them know it's painful from the movement not just impact injury. After some further investigation, turned out there was some loose cartlidge grinding in my joint. After some keyhole surgery to remove the floating bits, I was back to the full gym, inc weights, running and aerobics after a few months.

I wish you all the best. I also found acupuncture was great for some relief.

Yes I see my doc aug 13, and prob ask for a referral to a knee Dr. sigh.. but maybe more pool time, for now instead of step weight training-,,, I also ordered some better shoes for the zumba. I can control that by not making some of the crazy moves with the feet. I can see that the sneaks I wear felt good for the zumba but no support at all. I also made an appoint with chiropractor as I feel I am over compensating to one side, almost 60,,, but determined to be as healthy as psssible,

stick to the pool until you see your doctor to reduce impact (Which sucks because i know Zumba is fun!). i'm 25 and have crunchy knees, I've had them for a few years now. No fun.

the chriroprator twisted me like a prezel n sent me on my way. said i was over compensating on my left side. I should feel better now, let see what reg Drs say about knees. did Water n reg circuit with weights,,, no zumba yet. sigh

I'm waiting for double knee replacement. Dr. doesn't want to do it until on 60. That's why I'm getting banded. Hopefully getting weight off will help. Anywho, I'm the queen of crunch, but I have been told to exercise my knees and Water aerobic's is the best. Still you need to see an orthopedic Dr.

Good luck!

I've been using knee braces on both knees and it helps alot. As you get older your knees develop sloppiness condition. I walk on my treadmill with the braces on. I just got banded Aug 6 and I've dropped lots of weight getting to band date and I continue to lose weight during my liquid stage post-op. My knees doen't bother me as much now.

http://www.amazon.com/Futuro-Sport-Adjustable-Knee-Support-One/dp/B0016IZV9K/ref=pd_sim_hpc_1

Can be purchased at Walmart, CVS, Walgreen, a few different ones to pick.

I'm waiting for double knee replacement. Dr. doesn't want to do it until on 60. That's why I'm getting banded. Hopefully getting weight off will help. Anywho, I'm the queen of crunch, but I have been told to exercise my knees and Water aerobic's is the best. Still you need to see an orthopedic Dr.

Good luck!

Maddysgram, Wait as long as you are able for those knee replacements, but don't wait too long and damage your knees even more (like I did, and I'm suffering) They say they onlt last 15-20 years. Getting banded, like you are, and losing as much weight as you can before any knee replacements is a GREAT plan! You may end up not needing the replacements after all! Good luck!

Another alternative to the pool is a stationary bike. My knees even with weight loss have essentially no cartilege and my ortho says bike!

You can do Water aerobics and this wont abuse your knees.

Good topic! I'm 28 and have had the crunchy knees (mostly on the right) for quite a few years but then again I was almost 400lbs. =/ I feel a lot less strain on my knees now 100lbs down but still find the high impact excercises to be too much for my joints. Stairs wreak havoc on my knees so while I choose to live on the second floor and take the stairs at work I never do the stair master in the gym. Ellipitical and treadmill are much easier on me, walking is much better than jogging when you're still heavier also. You can still do your zumba my trainer recommends just subsituting alternative movements for the jumping up and down. At the end of the day you just want to burn calories and strengthen your muscles and you don't need to high impact excercises to do that. Bad knees can eventually undo all the success you've had in weight loss. As a nurse in a rehab I've seen countless people come in who have waited to lose weight and get knee replacements and find the new sedentary lifestyle and slow progressing physical therapy that follows crossed with sudden stress of the trauma of surgery and change in diet to be the catalysts for the return of old habits and worse, rapid weight gain. Talk to your doc about treatments for cartilage loss and inflamation. Try using proper body mechanics at all times, wear good shoes, continue losing weight and pay attention to the warning signs that your activity is doing more harm than good. Go easy on those joints, don't replace the waddle for a limp! ;)