Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A thread for super-sized bandsters - starting BMI over 50?

Thanks to all who advised me on this tussie subject!(oops I mean touchy) ! :madgrin:

I'm sure, with these tips, all my wipes will soon be over!(oops I mean worries)!

I'll just have to cheek out my options!(oops I mean check)!:pound:

CHEESY yes I know but, it's late and it happens!:peace:

I bought some of those "Toilet Tongs" off of ebay for about 12 bucks. IT was flimsey and I never could get the toilet paper clamped in there good enough, so I tossed them. After one month of being banded and losing 30 pounds,,I am now able to properly clense my bottom with no help. WOOHOOOOOOOO! Thank GOD for this site,,lol,,nowhere else could I EVER imagine admitting I had past problems dealing with such intimate personal hygeine problems!! Thanks for everyone's honesty!

Banded 1-29-07

Dr Ken Cleveland-CMMC-Jackson, MS

331/209/150

no fills to date

Has anyone with bmi over 50 had to have their band done open rather than lap.

I’m sure there are others who have had it done open. But when I asked my surgeon what the odds were that at my BMI (58.5 at surgery) the procedure would switch to open, he said, “LapBand is done laparoscopically. If I can’t get the band in that way, we’ll close you up & regroup because this wouldn’t be the best procedure for your anatomy. Your BMI has very little to do with placing the band.” He said that in the clinic’s history, they’d only aborted LapBand plans twice due to internal anatomy.

Like I said, I’m sure there are docs who do switch from lap to open on the table, but mine was not concerned at all that my high BMI would present that problem. (And everything went well!) Every clinic is different though, as you’ll learn while you poke around here. Pre-op diets, post-op diets, fill schedules…it all varies from clinic to clinic.

Welcome to LBT & good luck to you!

My Doc has done over 1,000 procedures and has not once ever had to do an open cut one, however, he does say in your pre-op talk that the possibility for an open cut is there. I do have 7 incisions which, from what I can tell here, is one or two more than the average, I didn't have any bruising what-so-ever though and the only large incisions are the ones for my port and below my belly button. I am three weeks post op today and they look great.

T

Mine was lap and I've not heard of anyone in my program who had to be convereted to open. Part of that is going to revolve around good pre-op adherence.

I *did* have to sign a waiver, that if for some reason he got in there and could not do it lap, I consented to being opened. I would imagine that's SOP.

I had a BMI of 57.2 and had a lot of fears pre surgery about my size and age at 58 I didn't think I would bounce back like the young ones. I then was told by the surgeon at my exam that my liver was larger than normal but it does not have anything to do with size of body.So I had to do liquid diet for 4wks instead of 2 to shrink liver. The surgery went great and I recovered at the same rate as everyone else.I was also told of possibility of open but my surgeon has never had too open anybody up.

Good Luck Terry

I just wanted to say Hi to everyone. I'm new here and I'm glad I found you guys. I weighed close to 300 ponds when I was banded 3 weeks ago. I was excited to find this site but I was disappointed to see so many people who have (compared to me) so little weight to lose. I was wondering what to expect in the first 6 months. Is it reasonable to think that I could lose over 50 pounds? If so, would that be just based on the restriction alone or with a strict diet and exercise?

So far, I only lost 15 pounds and that was in the first week. For the past 2 weeks, I haven't lost any. ;) Is that normal? I am starting to get my appetite back... big time. And the healing is going well so I am eating a lot more. I have to admit, I am not making the best choices when I eat. I thought that the "last supper" phase had passed. I didn't realize that I would be able to eat so much before my first fill.

Anyway, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys!

Is it reasonable to think that I could lose over 50 pounds? If so, would that be just based on the restriction alone or with a strict diet and exercise?

Oh yeah, it's reasonable. IF you are committed to making wise food decisions and getting some regular exercise. I've lost 170lbs and my one year bandiversary is next month. I've not experienced restriction for any length of time this whole year...not to say I've never felt it...just that it seems to last for a week or two then it decreases into very little restriction.

I wouldn't consider my diet "strict" in the sense that I allow myself to eat normal portions of healthy food. It is "strict" in the manner that I eat NO junk food whatsoever unless it's a special treat once in a while. You've got to treat yourself, especially if you're really craving it. But, as a general rule I do not cheat.

I'm no different than most on this thread. We've worked really hard and have had incredible successes. So, it's definately possible for you too.

Last year around this time I basically weighed 400 lbs with a BMI of 56, now I'm in the low 30's and working toward Onderland. AMAZING.

LapBandit! Wow! That is so great to hear! I am really happy for you and now I am so excited because I know that if I try hard enough it IS possible. My goal at this point is 140-150. If I could lose weight as fast as you I would definately be there before my one year anniversary. I hope you would be willing to share some of your tips with me. I've dieted a hundred different times in my life and I know I could do it again if I were actually seeing the results. I am so excited now. Thank you!