Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 Yrs In The Waiting Finally Banded On 7/25! Not Sure If Everything Is Normal?

Ok so b4 I mention any of the minor problems I am having , let me first say how excited and blessed I feel just to have finally recieved my band after 2 years of trying. I know how lucky I am and I am sure I will grow to love my band. However in the meantime I find I am concerned by a few things. I am sure they r easy fixes and normal, but never hurts to check right? I have had a large amount of gas even though I have been taking gas meds, and I think it's burping? that I am feeling. It is painful around the breast bone, but only for a moment but to be honest sometimes it makes me double over, I guess my question with this is will this go away? also dispite only having had 100+ cal in the last 5 days or so , I have yet to see the scle move at all. I know things are different after surgery, but this struck me as odd? At which point did you start losing weight? Seems to me that weight loss would be expected during the clear-full liquid stages due to drastic caloric changes? I am not expecting anything big, just wondering what is "normal?" just a side note as well, did anyone else find themselves thinking , "wow, this thing is stuck inside me forever, unless I have another surgery, this is now a part of me?" just a thought that crossed my mind , kinda freaked me out a little bit is all. But I guess that this is the point right , this is a change for life! Again I am still so excited for what the future may hold, and to finally start living my life. Thanks for your feed back everyone :)

The gas and the pain are probably normal. It takes the body awhile to get ride of the built up gas from anesthesia. This can cause alot of pain in weird areas you wouldnt expect. As far as burping and passing gas, get used to it. It will be a way of life for you now. It can be quite comical at times, but embarassing at times as well. Continue using the gas pills, they will help some but not totally alleviate the gas. It will also get better with time. It is normal to not be losing weight right now, even gaining is ok. Your body takes time to get back to normal after surgery. It will probably take a good 3-4 weeks before you start losing weight. Sounds to me like you are doing exactly what you should be doing. Good luck.

I agree with Kristallynn, what you are going through is normal. Now is a time for healing so don't worry about what the scale says. I tried not to weigh myself for the first few weeks after surgery..... but I have to say I did step on the scale about once a week (its hard not to!) Anyway, congratulations on your new life, its a long hard process but worth every step!

I had my surgery on the 25th too. I am feeling a lot of the same things, so I presume it is normal. I have been very uncomfortable from the gassiness too as it can be painful plus prevents me from wanting to intake more liquids. I haven't lost any weight but I know there is swelling and healing going on so I anticipate that will pass. Make sure you are taking small sips to avoid some of the gas. Also, I keep a jug of Water in the fridge so the water sits for a while before I drink it. If you drink water directly after pouring it from the tap or fridge water dispenser there is a lot of air in it too that you don't realize. I also noticed I was trying to get in the volume of liquids it recommended and was very uncomfortable. Today, I am going for comfort and not trying to meet the quotas - knowing that I will get there as the swelling subsides. Good luck!!!

Ok, glad I found this post. I'm right there with you guys. I was banded on the 27th. I felt fine yesterday and overdid things. Even out visiting with neighbors. Today, I'm as weak as a newborn bird. Taking my shower totally did me in. I'm having a hard time getting many liquids in, and so I'm concentrating on getting my liquid Protein down as I was told I could start back on it today. I just had my second scoop of the day and I mixed it with milk instead of Water, thinking that would be more nourishing. Then after drinking it, I thought Geez the milk will probably give me more gas. I haven't had a BM since Thursday, so I started taking some Milk of Magnesia too.

I have a lot of gas pain today and a lot of pain across the top of my left shoulder. They say that's very common and may last for awhile.

I weighed myself this morning and I'm up like 3lbs since friday, which was my surgery day. I know that's nothing to worry about, cause I haven't had diddly to eat. I'm totally not even the least bit hungry either.

I'm just hanging out in my recliner today. Walking around the house a bit every hour, so no blood clots develop. But not as perky as I was yesterday.

God Bless us all

thank you everyone for your input and support. To ddrobins i am right there with you 4 sure, gas pais are no fun, and I am not sure why gas ex isnt working ? I tried to exercise just a little on my bike thinking it would help with gas and then i took my shower, and i had to lean against the shower wall, soo exhausted! I dont know if that is really normal either. i suppose we will all do a little learning on the run u know.well keep in touch , would be great to hear updates on all of yall's experiences :)

Remembr that you are healing. I had surgery on the 9th and I still get tired at times and have to know when to slow down and even tell myself to stop. As far as the gas it will be there for a while. Walk walk and walk is the best medicine. The pain in the left shoulder lasted about 1 week in a half and that was the worst part of it all. The intake will gradually come just do not get dehydrated. The week after surgery I lost 5 pounds now I fluctuate between 1-2 pounds weight gain over the last two weeks. I think it is time to step up my exercise. At first when walking on the treadmill I would get exhausted. Now I think I can walk a little more. The good thing is I can see a big difference in my clothes. So just hang in there it will get better.

I got my band on the 26th and have also wondered if things were normal. First of all, I have to be on Clear Liquids only for 7 days and then full liquids for 7 days then soft foods for 7 days. Is this the same as all of you? Also, the gas has been bad and I feel like I have a constant "knot" between my breast in my esophagus all the time. When I drink something, it is as if it cramps and aches. Does everyone feel this way? It is very uncomfortable and almost feels like a spasm. Thanks...

I think its normal atleast similar to my own feelings. i have an ache in the center of my chest when I drink too much and when i burp. hope it goes away soon. i am clear for 7 days add liquid yogurt for 7 days then full liquids for next 2 weeks... keep me posted :)

thank you everyone for your input and support. To ddrobins i am right there with you 4 sure, gas pais are no fun, and I am not sure why gas ex isnt working ? I tried to exercise just a little on my bike thinking it would help with gas and then i took my shower, and i had to lean against the shower wall, soo exhausted! I dont know if that is really normal either. i suppose we will all do a little learning on the run u know.well keep in touch , would be great to hear updates on all of yall's experiences :)

I'm no expert but I think that gas x is mostly for intestional gas, whereas the gas pains after surgery is from gas in and around the whole body cavity and can hurt in weird places. From what I keep reading, the only remedy is walking and patience. Keep up the good work!!

<hugs>

I got my band on the 26th and have also wondered if things were normal. First of all' date=' I have to be on Clear liquids only for 7 days and then full liquids for 7 days then soft foods for 7 days. Is this the same as all of you? Also, the gas has been bad and I feel like I have a constant "knot" between my breast in my esophagus all the time. When I drink something, it is as if it cramps and aches. Does everyone feel this way? It is very uncomfortable and almost feels like a spasm. Thanks...[/quote']

I had to be on clear liquids for 7 days, full liquids for 7 days, then mushy food for 7 days, soft food for 7 days and then finally I can slowly start introducing solid food. Those first clear liquid days were soooo torturous for me. I had a post op appointment 5 days post op and I begged to begin full liquids sooner and my surgeon let me. It has been soooo much easier but now I'm getting so bored with liquids. I can't wait to start my mushies soon!

As for the knot when you drink... Did you have a hernia repair? I did and when I asked my surgeon about the feeling of a knot, he told me it was either from the hernia or I was drinking too fast and with too big of sips. So I have been more careful and I can definitely tell the difference.

I'm not sure you're getting enough calories. You should be doing Protein Drinks and that would be more than 100 calories. Check, but you should also be able to have milk. Tomato Soup helped me get some energy back too (Trader Joe's has a fab T. Soup in a carton). Right now its about healing not calories. Lack of calories and Protein could be making you more exhausted too. The bike might be a bit much, ask your doctor. I wasn't allowed to do anything but walk and that really helped to move the gas out. Hang in there!

The type of gas you have is not the same that gasX treats- some get relief from GasX, but others do not. Try peppermint tea and see if that eases the gas pains. Also, unlike someone else that posted, burping and farting are not a common part of my life post-band. It just goes to show how we vary.

As far as calories consumed, for the time after surgery make sure you are getting enough liquids in because you do not want to get dehydrated. As the gas dissipates and the swelling goes down, you will probably find yourself wanting more food.

Ok so b4 I mention any of the minor problems I am having , let me first say how excited and blessed I feel just to have finally recieved my band after 2 years of trying. I know how lucky I am and I am sure I will grow to love my band. However in the meantime I find I am concerned by a few things. I am sure they r easy fixes and normal, but never hurts to check right? I have had a large amount of gas even though I have been taking gas meds, and I think it's burping? that I am feeling. It is painful around the breast bone, but only for a moment but to be honest sometimes it makes me double over, I guess my question with this is will this go away? also dispite only having had 100+ cal in the last 5 days or so , I have yet to see the scle move at all. I know things are different after surgery, but this struck me as odd? At which point did you start losing weight? Seems to me that weight loss would be expected during the clear-full liquid stages due to drastic caloric changes? I am not expecting anything big, just wondering what is "normal?" just a side note as well, did anyone else find themselves thinking , "wow, this thing is stuck inside me forever, unless I have another surgery, this is now a part of me?" just a thought that crossed my mind , kinda freaked me out a little bit is all. But I guess that this is the point right , this is a change for life! Again I am still so excited for what the future may hold, and to finally start living my life. Thanks for your feed back everyone :)

hi Tosavemylife. congratulations on finally getting your band. Two years is a long time getting through and i can imagine it was difficult at times. its a lot harder in the States to be approved for the band than here in Australia.

Firstly... the gas is a problem that we all have to work through but be assured, in time it will leave you. try sitting with your hands on your head... moving around on your feet as much as possible is good. Keep taking your anti gas meds... they should be easing it a bit.

Regarding the weight loss?? everyone is different, but just because you are on such a low calorie intake doesnt mean your body is goign to respond by losing weight. Often very low intake causes your body to slip into survival mode and thats when you wont get weight loss. But... i get the impression that you are just banded... so there is Fluid from the surgery, drugs etc etc that your body will get rid of eventually. Try not to be on your scales... just give yourself time to heal. The weight will come off really quickly once you get over the immediate after effects of surgery itself. Personally, im finding that for me to lose weight i need to be eating about 1200-1300 calories a day.

Years ago i tried Atkins diet, more than once. i think that during that period my body learned how to be very effective at shutting down as far as weight loss is concerned... so.. now i go between 1000 and 1300 daily... my body is primed for weight loss at these intakes.

i lose on average about a pound a week.. i dont want to lose quicker than that. How much weight do you want to lose?

It all sounds very normal to me. One thing I found that helped the gas pains was walking and "helicoptering" my arms. If the pressure in your chest is after drinking or eating, you may be going too fast! If it continues, I would call the doc or nurse. Good luck on your journey and give it time to settle down. I have been banded for 9 months and I LOVE MY BAND!