Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Excessive PB-ing on purpose

I was banded in July 2005....so far I have lost 30 pounds but it has not been smooth sailing. Mostly, I find that I eat too much or too fast and then have to PB to get relief. I know that sometimes I do this on purpose so that I can enjoy more of what I am eating. The pb-ing seems just too easy to do. I know it is a bad habit to develop and I am determined to stop. But, here is my question to all, ...am I the only one who has gone this route? I feel awful about myself...I was never bulimic....and the thought of throwing up could make me throw up.....now that I have the band, I seem to not mind the PB syndrome. I know all the reasons why this is bad....how uncommon is this?

Joyce, I can't tell you how common it is, but it must be so hard for you right now.

Please try as hard as you can to stop, think how horrible it would be to lose your band :hat:

Be strong and don't let bad habits keep you from being healthy!

I hate to pb, which happens more often than I would like, with every pb I do a visual of my band turning inside out.

I realize you need support, please know this may not be what you want to hear, but you've got to stop using this as a way to eat more. Why did you get the band, was it not to help you stop eating as much. If you don't stop abusing your band, you may as well make the arrangements to have it removed now and save your esophagus from being intentionally damaged.

It's up to you Joyce, you need to take control of the situation, please stop abusing yourself. Big Hugs!

If you are making your self throw up on purpose that is not "PB syndrome" (I dont even know what that is!). That is bulimia. You need to talk to your doctor and let him know what is going on before you cause a slip or worse. I hope you get over this and continue on a healthier weightloss path!

Is there a psychologist that is part of your post-care treatment? If so, you should give them a call ASAP. There are reasons you're doing this, and they can help you find other outlets.

I agree with the above. PBs are accidents, to be avoided, not something we make happen. The behavior is beyond PB, and you could end up really doing damage to yourself. Not just from the PB activities, but also because when you're brining up what you've eaten, your body is not getting any nourishment at all.

Please call someone, psychologist, surgeon - even a nurse.

I think you've hit upon the biggest struggle of being banded... head hunger/emotional hunger vs. actual hunger. It can be really tough to give up food as a comfort mechanism. (Well, you can still use food as a comfort mechanism, but vastly smaller amounts. :)) There's also the pleasure of eating... which is normal.

I sometimes felt bulimic with my band when I was PBing a lot. I hated PBing... although yeah, sometimes it feels like a relief!

I don't know how common it is, but my guess is it happens to a good portion of bandsters. Some find ways to deal with it.... others continue and either suffer from band damage or lack of weight loss. (Note: I'm not saying all who have band problems or slow weight loss have caused this themselves.)

• I think you need to sloooow down your eating. That might help you experience more satiety from the food you are eating... as well as more enjoyment.

• Eat without distractions (no TV!)

• Try setting a timer or looking at your watch, and only taking a bite every minute (or longer).

• When you feel that first hint of fullness... put away your food. If it's a binge food, throw it down the disposal... pour salt on it... whatever. Brush your teeth.

• Only buy single servings of problem foods.

• Consider attending OA meetings or working through a Compulsive Overeating or Bulemia Self-Help book if you can't afford professional counseling

• Exercise. Go for a walk. Tell yourself you only have to do 5 minutes of an exercise tape before you can have more food... but do something.

Good luck :) I'm sure it happens to more people that will admit it, so know you're not alone. Learning to stop eating for emotional reasons is something we all have to face.

I think you are bery brave and honest, and I am glad you came here for support. Yes, it is sure hard to work out these conflicts between wanting a healthy life, and turning to our old friend, lots of food! I cannot lie and tell you I've never felt disappointed that I couldn't eat more of something I really enjoyed. I'm really sad about it sometimes. Did you have any bulimic behavior before banding? This type of thing will damage your band and possibly your body...please seek some medical/behavioral advice if you do not think you can change this on your own.

Big hugs to you, and I hope we can lend you some support in this struggle. Cindy

Although everyone has offered excellent advice and explanations, I agree WHOLE HEARTEDLY with Wheatsin. If you're doing this to yourself, for whatever reason, you should seek help to find out why.

We had or have issues with eating and food when we were banded. That doesn't mean that they were miraculously cured when we had a little silicone band placed around our stomach. food was our friend. Food was our comfort. We enjoyed eating, and still do. But, you need to learn to deal with your eating issues before you hurt yourself.

I don't know the statistics or commonality of what you're going through, but I'm sure you're not alone. We all deal with our issues with food in different ways. You just happen to be manifesting in this way. Please seek help and support.

Good Luck and keep us informed. None of us want to see you hurt yourself.

BIG (((((( HUGS))))))

I agree with Cindy.... you are very brave and honest to come here and share this. I know hard it must have been.

There are so many things to think about when we put the food down and have to deal with ourselves. I can't say that I have PB'd on purpose to eat more. Usually when I PB the last thing I want to do is eat! Probably all those years praying to the "pocelain godness" after drinking to much!

Admiting to us that you think there is a problem is great. Now you need to share that with someone that can help you... doctor, nutritionist, councelor.... someone.

I will pray that you find peace .....

I PB'd on purpose...to relieve the discomfort from overeating and other reasons...and it is NOT the same as bulimia. If I did not experience discomfort, it did not happen. I no longer have my band due to slippage and no longer "PB" on purpose. If I was bulimic, I would.

That said, try and break the habit!

I PB'd on purpose...to relieve the discomfort from overeating and other reasons...and it is NOT the same as bulimia.

I have to disagree with you. Whether you equate your behavior with bulimia isn't at question here. It's whether or not Joyce needs to equate her behavior with bulimia.

Joyce wrote, "I know that sometimes I do this on purpose so that I can enjoy more of what I am eating...I feel awful about myself."

From www.dictionary.com:

Bulimia: A chronic eating disorder involving repeated and secretive episodes of eating, characterized by uncontrolled rapid ingestion of large quantities of food over a short period of time, followed by self-induced vomiting, purging, and anorexia and accompanied by feelings of guilt, depression, or self-disgust.

I'd say that's a pretty accurate description of what's going on. And while a PB isn't the same thing as vomiting, excessive PB'ing certainly can lead to a slipped band. I don't know if that's what happened in your case, dishdiva, but I think it's something of which everyone needs to be constantly aware.

I think we get sold on the band, in part, because it's a lifetime solution to a lifetime problem. The reality is that in many cases it's not a lifetime solution, it's a very limited solution; and while we have our bands, we have a responsibility to ourselves to make the most of it. Doing something that can very likely significantly increase our chance of losing the band (PBing on purpose so that one can consume additional food) should not be condoned in any way, shape, or form -- nor, I think, should it be excused or passed off as something trivial. (Just to clarify, dishdiva, I'm not accusing you or anyone else here of doing that.)

Joyce, I commend you for sharing your experience with us, and seeking out advice for what's going on. This isn't a minor issue, it's a very major one, and one that you definitely need to pursue more help about than we can offer you. You're risking, at the very least, your health, in that the band cannot be an effective tool if you are contstantly working around it by PBing your food and continuing to eat. Even more, you're risking the band itself.

I say this to you as someone who lost his band due to slippage from excessing PBing (though not intentional).

I do wish you the best of luck, and you'll be in my thoughts.

Jonathan

Thank you all for your advice and support. Everything you all said to me has helped me (whether I liked it or not). I was uplifted by what "fabfatgrl" wrote and I am taking her point by point advice. I was also scared enough by what everyone said to realize that I have this great tool and I can do this right. I may need help, but I will do this.

Thank you all....the support was great

Joyce

Please stop PB'ing on purpose. I am now on my second band because I did that pretty much every time I ate and my band slipped. I have a nice new 4.0 cc band and right now I have 3.4 cc's in the band and I still don't have restriction. I was too tigh with my first band at 3.0 cc's! I am just beside myself over it too. Whether you go to counseling or you stop on your own, please don't do that to yourself!

There's a big distinction here that seems to not be getting a lot of attention.

"When something gets stuck I encourage PBs to help stop the pain" IS NOT the same thing as "I intentionally overeat, knowing it will cause me to PB, because I want more food than I can hold". One is an act of avoidance, the other is an act of compulsion. Totally different scenarios.

Joyce, I'm glad you got the support you were looking for, and best of luck with your future efforts. Finding the roots and triggers for your compulsion will take you far.

Hey Folks

Your digestive tract is built to be a one way system - food in at the mouth - waste out at the end.

NOTHING is supposed to come back, ever. Whether or not we call it bulemia or not is not the point.

PB's are not ok - should not be a regular thing.

PB's MIGHT contribute to slippage and other band complications. Try to avoid them at all costs.

If you find yourself PBing more than about once a week - you need to see your Doctor, or your Therapist.

It was very brave to come here. Now, please be brave enough to talk to someone about this, whether it be your Doc or your Shrink - you need some help to stop the madness.

Hugs!