Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Made You Decide To Choose The Lap Band Over Other Weight Loss Surgeries?

I just got insurance approval for the lap bad yesterday (WHOOOOO HOOOOO!!)

But i'm just wondering, did I make the right choice in deciding on the Lap Band over the other weight loss surgeries?

I mainly chose LB because

-It's adjustable

-It's (supposedly) reversible/removable (If need be)

-Seems to be the least invasive

-The thought of rerouting/removing my stomach freaks the $h!t out of me!

What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance

I chose the lapband for the very same reasons that you did. I didn;t choose it because it was cheaper, cause in the long run iit's not. I didn't like the idea of having 80% of my stomache gone forever as in the sleeve. I have a lower BMI than some and I wanted something that I could kindof control myself a little how much restriciton I have. I hope I never have to have it taken out...

my surgeon tried to get me to the bypass. my ins does not cover the sleeve and i was not interested in cutting my stomach. i admit when he was telling me, i felt he wanted me to get the bypass but i stayed true to what i wanted.

i know all surgeries run a risk but this one just made me feel the most comfortable and i was honestly too scared to get the bypass.

i had my band with plication done on june 6th and lost 40 pounds so far

but i gained back alittle self esteem,

yeah, i made the right decision.

my surgeon tried to get me to the bypass. my ins does not cover the sleeve and i was not interested in cutting my stomach. i admit when he was telling me, i felt he wanted me to get the bypass but i stayed true to what i wanted.

i know all surgeries run a risk but this one just made me feel the most comfortable and i was honestly too scared to get the bypass.

i had my band with plication done on june 6th and lost 40 pounds so far

but i gained back alittle self esteem,

yeah, i made the right decision.

I find that very interesting

my surgeons nurse Practitioner was almost MAD when I said i wanted to do the band and not gastric bypass. She told me about what a failure I will be if i do it... and then when the surgeon came in i explained that i am leaning towards the band and he didn't either seem to pleased. I recall someone once told me that surgeons prefer gastric bypass over the band because they do the surgery, make the $$, and never need to see you again. Whereas with the lap band they have to devote a lot of time on fills which is not a real moneymaker (btw, to me that sounds insane...)

hey lap

have heard that about the dr's and bypass surgeries.

i dont know if $$ is involved but it could be. i am happy with my decision.

i am sorry they made you feel that way. i guess you and i will just have to prove them wrong.

I had a friend who got a bypass and out of the first 6 month she was 3 in the hospital and the idea of having most of my stomach removed freaked me out!!

Sent from my iPad using LapBandTalk

I had a friend who got a bypass and out of the first 6 month she was 3 in the hospital and the idea of having most of my stomach removed freaked me out!!

OMG!! what happened????

My surgeon was in love with the Sleeve. I started out weighing 243 lbs and felt that something as durastic as bypass or sleeve (re-routing organs? no thanks!!) would be too much. I didn't feel like I needed to drop 100+ lbs, which he said was the average weight loss for those two procedures. I explained to him that 1) I need the least invasive because I don't want to take too long off of work, and 2) I felt I could use the band responsibly. I did my research and knew what all it entailed before my consult. It fell in line with my goal of wanting to lose about 80 lbs. I also found the fact that it was removable very comforting. Not that I would ever want it out, but if I was having issues it could be most easily taken care of (vs reversing a bypass).

I also had lap band for the same reasons as you. I'm love my band. I'm down, as of today, 52 pounds. Surgery date 12/30/11. My goal is to lose another 60. I've seen people who have had the other surgeries, two in particular stick out, one is gaining her weight back, and the other still eats terrible and dumps all the time and looks very sick. To me this is the healthier choice. Right now I have another friend who is considering the band and she asked if I had any regrets. I can honestly say I do not. The band may be "more work" but I know that I would not be 52 pounds down without it. Good luck with your choice. :)

OMG!! what happened????

She had a lot of complications! Could hold food down, complications with the surgery! It was horrible she used to cried everyday! But Thanks God 3 years later she great lost over 100 pounds!

I haven't had my surgery yet and just got approved also. My scheduled surgery date was September 25th but they called yesterday asking if August 29th would be okay? And I absolutely said yes! I have the same questions you have. Am I choosing the best surgery? What it comes down to is what is the best one for ME. Research says it may not lose the most weight as the other surgeries but for me it'll be what I want. As in helping me control how much I can eat. Good luck with your surgery!! I'm so anxious and I know it'll be a life style change. And I'll basically be on a diet for along time but I'll have the lap band helping me out!!

congrats to u i did mine so i can be around for my grand child on the way

Thanks everyone for the responses

Just wondering, when you googled "lap band" and saw all the horror stories, were you at all deterred? This morning I started to freak out when I read a story of someone who got the band and gained everything back after one year. Then she said that the real statistics show that long term lap band success is only hovering at around ~10%

:o :o :o

OMG!

Just remember, everyone is quick to spread the word about the bad stuff. When all is good, people are quiet. Everything in life has a horror story that can accompany. To me, it came down to personal accountability and knowing that I can't make the same mistakes other bandsters have. Each success or failure story is very individual. Sure, there are cases where the band was faulty, or a surgical issue, but for the most part the band failures I've heard/read about come down to personal choices.

Thanks,

Glad to hear

And BTW congrats on being more that halfway towards your goal!! and in only like 2 months?!! whoohooo!!

Just remember, everyone is quick to spread the word about the bad stuff. When all is good, people are quiet. Everything in life has a horror story that can accompany. To me, it came down to personal accountability and knowing that I can't make the same mistakes other bandsters have. Each success or failure story is very individual. Sure, there are cases where the band was faulty, or a surgical issue, but for the most part the band failures I've heard/read about come down to personal choices.