Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey everyone!! I am 5 days post op and doing well so far. I have to admit it was a little rougher than I had expected! I know several people who have gotten it done and they acted like it was nothing to it! I was in a lot of pain even from the time my eyes opened...I felt like a elephant was sitting on my chest and I couldn't breathe. My back hurt pretty bad too but I think that was just from laying on the hard table in the OR. I got out of bed immediately bc my back was hurting so bad. I started walking right away and as I started walking I started to feel better. The next few days were miserable. I wouldn't say painful..just miserable! I could not get comfortable no matter how I sat or layed. My stomach was surprisingly not so sore...I was able to get up and down out of bed fine. I slept with a heating pad on my back and I used a back massager a lot. I'm sure some of it was gas but some of it was just from my rheumatoid arthritis. The fourth day I felt like things were finally looking up but I still had that chest pressure. The doctor thought it may just still be a lot of swelling so he told me to take some sort of NSAID like liquid motrin. It got so much better right away! I am having a hard time keeping hydrated. I feel so full that I don't even want to drink anything but I am trying to make myself. I have tried a few things like yogurt and ice cream but after about 3 bites I'm done! I am surprised bc some people told me they really didn't feel any different as far as eating after a few days but I feel very full. Maybe still from swelling. Well I'm looking forward to reading posts from you guys and following everyone's journey!

Congratulations on your band and Im glad you're feeling better. My surgery is in 5 days and I'm praying for a smooth recovery.

KayKay... My experience is about identical to yours, banded 7/18 now my mornings r good but by the evening I am so so tired.. Trying to enjoy the journey!! Have a great day!!!

Really? I'm tired during the evenings too...I started back at work yesterday but I had to leave half a day...What are you able to eat? have you had any issues with diarrhea?

Yes some loose stools just advance diet yesterday oatmeal, cottage cheese, mashed potatoes just kept potions small.. Felt good to have spoon in my hand again after all the liquids pre and post op

Yea mine has been almost chronic though..like getting up like 6 times in the night..with pain and nausea...i'm worried that I caught a bug or that the antibiotics they gave during surgery god rid of my "good" bacteria. I'm scared I will get dehydrated if I don't fix this! I called my Dr. office today and left a message..hopefully I will hear back soon. I'm glad you are getting to work in your foods..i tried some greek yogurt this morning but after a few bites I was kind of over it....My stomach feels so weird I don't even really feel like eating.

Enjoy the not really feeling hungry, your appetite will return then it is about controlling it till u get good restriction from the band after fills....no I've had a few loose stools nothing like that...good luck

Yea mine has been almost chronic though..like getting up like 6 times in the night..with pain and nausea...i'm worried that I caught a bug or that the antibiotics they gave during surgery god rid of my "good" bacteria. I'm scared I will get dehydrated if I don't fix this! I called my Dr. office today and left a message..hopefully I will hear back soon. I'm glad you are getting to work in your foods..i tried some greek yogurt this morning but after a few bites I was kind of over it....My stomach feels so weird I don't even really feel like eating.

I had about two-three days about a week out from surgery where it seemed like my bowels were "restarting" and I definitely had bathroom issues. Also, since you are on a liquid diet right now, the diarrhea is to be expected.

Just a question for anyone who may know - are we able to take Probiotics after surgery? I have super tiny ones, acidophilous pearls that I figure could fit through the opening no problem, but I haven't had the chance to ask my doc yet... it is on my pre-op appointment questions list though!

Also, what about activia or other yogurts claiming probiotic benefits?

Best wishes Kay for your speedy recovery.