Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Well I recently joined a gym and today I went to have my fitness assessment. I was doing great and here comes the part where I have to do a step test for 3 mins. The trainer was telling me not to stop and go faster well before I knew it I hit the floor and heard my knee pop. I only had 20 seconds left I was so embarrassed if I wasn't in pain I would of ran out. The trainer was very sweet about the whole thing but I am discouraged. I was banded April 4, 2012 and I know the journey has just begun but I can't imagine the workout part getting easier : (

I'm sorry to hear about your knee, dont be put off.. You were the one who choose to have lap banding and have put yourself in a position of greater oppertunitys for yourself.. On a bright note you get to think of ways to work out that dont include jogging for a while! You have made big steps so far imagin what you can do from here! We all have setbacks but its not the end of the world its just an oppertunity to work out what will work for you better!

Chin up chicken you went to the lap band appointment and you went to the gym! two massive things you did yourself... Now whats next in your amazing life?

Kind Regards Cristy ;-)

The gym is not necessarily the only place to get exercise. I'd be livid at the trainer. Potential injuries are not to be taken lightly...I would definitely find a different "trainer"...and be gentle on your knee until the pain and any swelling are gone. You know your limitations best, so listen to your body. It might be a good move to have your physician evaluate this injury if the pain is not gone in a few days.

My exercise options are limited to the pool for now...I'm still recovering from a car accident. You can still get a good workout with Water resistance. I attend a Water aerobics class at least 3 times a week...very low impact, just what the doctor ordered.

Best wishes...hope your knee heals fast.

i attend a Water fitness class at the Y 3x a week. Great work out but very easy on my joints. A definite help for my weight loss. Love it !

Don't be discouraged. Before long you will find that you can move better. I found that i was able to do different exercises because my stomach wasn't getting in the way before. I had a personal trainer who thought I should do all sorts of exercises that a 20 year old can do and i was over 50. I switched to one that listened to me and I have been with her for 2 years. She doesn't let me get lazy, but she doesn't expect me to do jumping jacks either. Best $$$ I have spent!

Definitely take care of your knee and be assertive with your trainer. You know how your body is feeling and when it is reaching its limit. Yes, you want the trainer to push you, but not until you break down.

On the other hand, if you are able to be motivated without a trainer, there is plenty of exercise you can do on your own, especially in the early days. My favourites are dancing, cycling, walking and swimming (and I just wish this ear infection would hurry up and clear so I can get back in the pool!)

Thanks everyone knee feels a little bruised but hopefully I'll be good to go in a few days. I'm not giving up I've lost 54 lbs in less than 4 monts and have at least 70 more to go. Thanks again !!!

The gym is not necessarily the only place to get exercise. I'd be livid at the trainer. Potential injuries are not to be taken lightly...I would definitely find a different "trainer"...and be gentle on your knee until the pain and any swelling are gone. You know your limitations best, so listen to your body. It might be a good move to have your physician evaluate this injury if the pain is not gone in a few days.

My exercise options are limited to the pool for now...I'm still recovering from a car accident. You can still get a good workout with Water resistance. I attend a Water aerobics class at least 3 times a week...very low impact, just what the doctor ordered.

Best wishes...hope your knee heals fast.

Why would you find a different trainer. One same said the trainer was nice afterwards. Two the trainer was doing what she was supposed to be doing, which is pushing you. I know when I train with someone I am much more encouraged not to give up. I NEED someone to push me to my full potential. I can be to easy on myself sometimes.

Why would you find a different trainer. One same said the trainer was nice afterwards. Two the trainer was doing what she was supposed to be doing, which is pushing you. I know when I train with someone I am much more encouraged not to give up. I NEED someone to push me to my full potential. I can be to easy on myself sometimes.

There is a huge difference between pushing yourself to your "full potential", and pushing yourself to the point of injury. Of course the trainer was "nice" after the fact...they have some "CYA" issues such as liability to be concerned about, and a business reputation and income to protect. The trainer acted in their own best interests...not in those of their client...IMHO.

Knee injuries are not to be taken lightly...one injury can lead to a lifetime of pain and impairments with mobility. The knee is one of the most complex joints in the body, and the impact which we place on our knees just with the activities of daily living is immense. It's much easier to avoid a potential injury than to recover fully from one.

I guess people vary in the way they are programmed ...I am goal oriented, and don't need anyone else to "push me". Most importantly, I believe everyone should know their limits, so they don't get injured. If I thought I needed to be pushed like that, I would have joined the Marines and attended boot camp at Parris Island...just saying.

Your mileage varies...best wishes.

Well the OP did not say "I told the trainer I was in pain and he just yelled at me to push harder" or something to that effect. She said the trainer just said faster and don't stop, so how would the trainer have known there was a problem? And that was just during a fitness assessment not during any personal training.

Me personally, I was fat for so long and, did not do a lot of stuff. I spent my teenage years being an outcast (not because I was morbidly obese at the time, but because I, well I'm not sure why), and then in my 20's I wasted my life being fat. Had surgery at 28. So I've made it my goal to let NOTHING stop me, a bit pain is welcomed.

It wasn't the trainers fault I am a very clumsy person and just missed the step. I'm still very sore and still but feeling a little better. Good news is that my assessment shows Needs Improvement not Poor not as bad as I thought it would be. Thanks for your words of encouragement : )

Well the OP did not say "I told the trainer I was in pain and he just yelled at me to push harder" or something to that effect. She said the trainer just said faster and don't stop, so how would the trainer have known there was a problem? And that was just during a fitness assessment not during any personal training.

Me personally, I was fat for so long and, did not do a lot of stuff. I spent my teenage years being an outcast (not because I was morbidly obese at the time, but because I, well I'm not sure why), and then in my 20's I wasted my life being fat. Had surgery at 28. So I've made it my goal to let NOTHING stop me, a bit pain is welcomed.

I predict that you will be changing your assessment of pain when you are older...that it will no longer be "welcomed". Pain is your body's way of telling you to back off, or stop what you are doing to stress it. I hope you never have the unfortunate experience of coping with chronic pain, you will choose other words to write about pain when you do.

Your goal to let nothing stop you is admirable, but can easily be derailed by torn ligaments in your knee.

"Pain is an unpleasant sensory and emotional experience associated with actual or potential tissue damage"...as per International Association for the Study of Pain: Pain Definitions

Best wishes...