Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Misinformed

i agree that some questions could be answered here on the site, but like other's said somethings should be addressed with your surgeon. i dont want to discourage people from asking questions, but it amazes me how many people willingly get the surgery and have NO CLUE as to what to expect or what to do. AMAZING!

I have a stupid question I also was not informed what's the green zone and how do you know when your in the green zone sorry guys but were here to help each other not criticized each other

Dino- the green zone is when your band is filled enough so that about 3 oz of solid Protein and some veggies will keep you satiated for 3-4 hour. You don't overeat and you don't eat "slider" foods- things that slip thru the band, like ice cream and chips. Usually the green zone is achieved after several fills.

Good luck, and we are here to help!!!!!

No one minds questions, I know I answer tons daily both on the boards and when people send me private messages. I'm always happy to help and I would never, ever discourage people from asking for help.

The only stupid questions are the ones that go left unasked.

...but that doesn't change the fact it greatly concerns me the amount of banded people without a clue about the band or it effects their life. It's not a matter a minding questions, believe me I don't at all, it's a matter of genuine concern for the lack of informed bandsters I'm seeing out there.

I agree Mis73, I was one of the not so informed! I did a lot of my research myself, so that helped and being able to ask here. Like I have said in the past, with me it was my diet and food changed that are my biggest obstacle. It is still a learning curve and with the info I have gotten here and the programs (I just loaded the fitness pal to my phone!) I have learned about, hopefully I will get better soon!

I have a stupid question I also was not informed what's the green zone and how do you know when your in the green zone sorry guys but were here to help each other not criticized each other

Hope you can see:

post-204009-13813134238149_thumb.jpg

post-311392-13813140222666_thumb.jpg

Thanx guys for all your info

I did scads of research before surgery, but I think my surgery clinic would really do the lapband on anyone who showed up with the $17,000.

I agree! I got a lot of conflicting information. The only way I knew I needed an un-fill was from reading these posts!

I have had my band for 3 years, my doc and his team were just wonderful with passing on info and being available to me. I was given a boat load of info pre and post surgery however, nobody has the ability to make you understand. I started strong and was thrilled, so of course thought I was doing things correctly. I was very far off the mark. I had started gainning and thought it was just some bad chocies (it was), but in the last two weeks I have learned many things. I knew I wasn't in the green zone, but thought I would never be because I didn't feel restriction and thought it was just me because I had not been a volume eater, I ate under strees, boardem, and happiness. Of course I ate when everybody else did and I do love food and would always have everything. After the band I wasn't hungry and at 5.5cc I could eat most things I tried. I would sometimes have problems but didn't know why. I saw my doc two weeks ago and asked for another copy of my post op patient handbook. Shocked at how differently I took this information now that I have been living with the band for 3 years, Almost everything meant something different to me now. I had been taking bites that were to large, drinking not sipping and to often feeling uncomfortable after meals. I got a fill last Mon. and now have RESTRICTION! It is great, I am only eating about a 1/2c and feel content. I am not hungry, still tight in the AM and do hot tea until I feel that food time has arrived. I am now struggling to get the Water in because it takes so long when you sip. So, what I have learned is that I hadn't understood as much as I thought I had. I had researched and talked with others with the band; but you must first walk in the journey to fully understand the info recived.

I'm totally Type A, so when I started seriously considering the procedure I researched the heck out of it. Going through the process I asked a ton of questions - but I also listened very carefully to the answers! I think a lot of people only hear what they want. But, on the other hand, my surgeon didn't go into very much depth about the process. I was thankful that the other WLS team members did very well teaching their part because he gave me the "nutshell" version.

I was not informed on a lot! If I was told that I had to follow a specific diet without restriction for months, I wouldn't have done it! I was looking for help! If I could follow a diet the right way with will power, I wouldn't need to go radical! Don't forget that it's easy to judge people, but you don't know what their life is like! It's supposed to be a support site!

I also believe there's plenty of surgeons out there that just push patients through like cattle getting these weight loss surgerys just to get the money and don't take the time to inform them.. They know how we are all in our most deperate hours when we inquire about this, and some do take advantage. I also know that sometimes it's the patients that only hear what they want to hear and no matter what still believe that having the surgery will be an automatic fix. Patients and Surgeons need to take responsiblity for informing & being informed about the lap band.

A friend of mine had the same surgeon, same staff, same nurses, and same nutrionist as I did, so I know for a fact that she was well informed about everything. She, like many others, blame the band for her "failures". She contiuned to eat crap, lay around after eating, ate mostly carbs, never attempted to work out or drink Water, never counted a calorie or a Protein, ate Cookies and cakes and chips everyday.. I saw all of this first hand. Yet she continued to blame the band and wonder why she only lost 45lbs in 2 years. Aside from that, she's thrown up after almost every meal since surgery because she eats things she shouldn't be eating and shovels them into her mouth like she's never eaten in her life and wonders why the band isn't working. So now since it's the "bands fault" she's not losing weight, she is having the Sleeve done in a few months. I guess she'll blame that too when she continues to eat garbage and lay around all day wondering why the weight isn't coming off.

So anyway, it can go either way. But in the end it really is the patients responsiblity to get informed, because this surgery is their choice and their body. It is also their responsibity to take the time to find a good doctor and not just sign up with any old quack they can find on the internet.

I agree with everyone. It is up to the person to find out all they can about the surgery before they had it. I also was not told clearly about a regular diet I would have to follow without help for months on end. If I could do this without problem, I wouldnt be in this place to start. However, that being said, I have gotten through this and am looking forward to using this tool that I have been given to its fullest extent! I cannot wait for the right restriction. I am just getting clear on what restriction is. I am understanding that I should not feel too hungry between meals and feel satisfied. I do not feel this at all. So at 3cc, I know I need more of a fill. I am ridding my house of all the foods that I know are too tempting to me.. like all my carby foods, they kill me!! I thought I could do this with those foods in my house, I am wrong!!

Another lesson learned!

I did a huge Internet search and even watched it online! I still didn't find anything like I'm experiencing! NEVER did I read or was told about my hair falling out! It's ridiculous! It's sooo easy to say "oh they should have known better" well, it must be nice to be perfect! Instead of blaming these people, how about u help them instead! I have NEVER thrown up, don't eat carbs, never have a chance to lie down, and have only lost 25 since April! 16 the first week!!!