Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Wanting To Finally Live

Hey my name is Ashley and I'm new here like a good amount of others in this thread. I want to get lap band surgery but I am just at a loss where to even start. I attended a meeting for people who would like the know more about the surgery with my mother (who had gastric bipass about 10 years ago with huge success) but I just feel at a complete loss on how to go about getting this going in the right direction.

I'm 23 and weigh 400 pounds. It is taking a toll on me and I finally have come to accept that all the pains I am feeling now are because of my weight, and they'll only get worse in time if I don't act now!

I wasn't always overweight. I was a very energetic, athletic child growing up until my father left. It wasn't due to depression on my behalf of his leaving, it was my mothers. She wouldn't cook anymore, so she would just bring us home fast food each day. My body was used to it, and craved it, and I kept those bad eating habits into my adult life. I've tried dieting time and time again with little results and I feel getting a lap band is the right direction for me to go in my life to get the kick I need to live healthy. With the results I saw from my mothers gastric bipass, I originally wanted to take that route, but I have not heard the best of things about it in the long run. So here I am, looking for help in finding the path I need to take on getting my life back. I'm only 23, there is so much more in this world I should be enjoying. Not being in pain each day, not out of breath walking the few stairs to my house.

Hopefully that wasn't too terribly jumbled of a mess. I look forward to meeting the lot of you and hopefully getting some good information as well. Thanks!

Hey Ashley!!!

It took me awhile also to come to the decision to have this done, but I knew that I could not continue on the unhealthy path I was taking. It is time for a new chapter in my life book.

My aunt had the bypass, my sis-inlaw and good friend had the lap band. I chose the lap band because it was the least invasive and could be taken out god forbid there was an issue.

The first step I took in my journey was researching bariatric surgeons. The Dr. I chose has a fantastic aftercare support system with monthly support group meetings and that was important to me. After choosing my Dr. I went to his educational seminar, which covered the lap band, the sleeve, and the bypass. The seminar helped me solidify my decision in getting the lap band.

From there I contacted my insurance company to see what I needed to be qualified for an insurance approved band. After that it was a bunch of Dr visits, but well worth it.

Good luck with your decision :) Hope this helped a little.

Ashley, I am 3 days after my surgery and it has been some work.

I started off tackling one thing at a time. Added exercise, stopped late night snacking,

Identified I was an emotional eater stopped that and began to journal my food intake.

Do your research find a surgeon who has the best support and stay plugged into this on line community.

There is a great deal of support here....it has been a blessing to me! Good luck!

Hi Ashley, welcome to the forums!

My advice is to research doctors and get started as soon as you find one you're comfortable with. If you're going through an insurance company to get your band paid for, a lot of them require 3-6 months of supervised weight loss, sometimes even more. There could also be a lot of other. In addition to three months of supervised weight loss, I had to do a psych evaluation, a sleep study, an EGD (only because I had bad heartburn) and I had to get a letter from my PCP clearing me for surgery, so all of that took a while. When it was all said and done, my time between my very first consultation and my surgery date is going to be about six months. (I'm scheduled for August 2nd, woo!)

Knowing that is may take that long is frustrating at first, but you are MUCH better off having time to research everything about the band than going into it clueless. On the other hand if you're self pay or have awesomer insurance , you may be able to get a date in less than a month. But you should still make sure you know everything that you can about being banded before you have that surgery. Not after. It looks to me like people who get banded quickly tend to have more problems than those who had to wait (not all, but some). Make sure you're familiar with all of the common problems that other bandsters are going through, so that you can hopefully either avoid them or know how to deal with them.

Good luck! Keep us updated as you progress on your journey! :lol:

Hi Ashley and welcome!

My heart goes out to you. I started this journey over 400 pounds too so I know first hand how crappy life can be when you're morbidly obese.

My biggest piece of advice is to research it thoroughly. Having Lap-Band or any other WLS will require you to change your eating habits to healthy ones for a lifetime. A lot of people even greatly benefit from counseling to help them overcome the mental aspect we've had so long with over-eating.

I am copy/pasting a bit I just replied to on another thread to explain how and why I got the Lap-Band surgery:

I knew I had to do something. I watched my kids' grandmother die when she was only 55 years old. She was a morbidly obese chain smoker who died of congestive heart failure. I too was a morbidly obese chain smoker and her death terrified me because I knew if I didn't make drastic changes, that would one day be me. I quit smoking over a year ago and then started getting serious about researching WLS.

I also happen to have Multiple Sclerosis. I can't cure the MS, but I figured I could take a lot better care of the rest of me so I'd at least have a fighting chance against this crappy disease. Having MS is bad enough, the last thing I needed was to have a bunch of obesity related (preventable) illnesses like Diabetes and high blood pressure, too.

Originally I was scheduled for Gastric Bypass, but at the last minute, I canceled. I just couldn't justify rerouting perfectly healthy organs irreversibly without first trying something far less drastic and reversible. So, I started researching Lap-Band and I knew it was the one for me.

I had surgery 6 1/2 months ago and have lost 122 pounds so far. I can't begin to tell you how much losing this weight has drastically improved my quality of life. I still have a lot to lose but I know I'll eventually get there. For me, getting the Lap-Band was the best decision I've ever made for myself.

Hi Ashley. Now that you know there is a problem and know you no longer want to be hurting,thats your first step. Its hard being young and overweight or morbidly obese as they say. I was there. I had the lapband because it was the best for me because it is reversible and I am in control of my tool.I have had success so far. Research is essential and believe me if you want it,there will be a way for you. Dont let your past keep you stuck, you have your whole life ahead of you...much luck

Hey sorry for the delayed reply back. I have the joys of working 3rd shift so I don't get a chance to be online all too much anymore. Thank you so much for all the warm welcomes! I have enjoyed reading everyone's stories on their journey so far! I'm going to a seminar for Dr.William M Rupp the 16th of next month to learn more about it and hopefully go from there!

I am however, having a pretty hard time understanding how insurance works and what the best insurance for me to get to cover this surgery. I have insurance through the temp agency right now, but it's very limited. I am thinking of switching to Blue Cross Blue Shield, but I am not sure how long I need to be enrolled with them before they would cover this kind of surgery, or even how much they would cover. I know it's kind of silly questions to ask, but I've not been on my own for too long and I was just so used to my mother being the one to take care of all of that lol So just looking to get pushed in the right direction.

Anyways, I do look forward to learning more and hopefully getting this surgery done within the next year. I already have had a sleep study done (about 5 years ago) where it was confirmed I have sleep apnea. And I also have acid reflux which I was told was another one to look for. I've been overweight since I was at least in 6th grade, and it has only gone up steady from there no matter what type of diets and work out routines I have tried. I feel that getting banded would be a very good tool for me to use to help me get my life back on track and get in shape. I'm tired of hurting every day, I'm tired of the pain pills just to get through work, the expensive plus size clothes (I mostly just wear graphic tees, but any jeans I get seem to be $45+ and only at Layne Bryant or Fashion Bug or something. And it is SO hard to find a bra in my size!!!) and I'm just tired of feeling drained and sick each and every day. I'm so glad I found this forum because reading through here, I have found such hope when I was feeling so hopeless about my life.

I'm so excited that I wrote a list of things I want to do once I am healthy and losing weight. Silly I know, but it gives me the motivation to keep going with this!

• Go to Valley Fair! I have not been on any rides at an amusment park since I was in the start of High School. The embarassment of being told I could not fit into the seat of the ride safely and to leave the area (in front of all my classmates) was too much for me, I never felt confident enough to go back.
  • Learn how to ride a bike! I never had the chance growing up to learn how to ride. It looks so fun and like it would be a good workout.
  • Ride a horse again! I wouldn't dare to put one through that at the weight I am right now. I used to love horseback riding as a child, so I can't wait to do so again.

Sorry this post is a bit long and jumps around a lot. I just have a ton going through my mind about all of this and wanted to share lol. Thanks again everyone!

Take it one step at a time talk to the surgery center and or the insurance providers to get a better idea of coverage. Be prepared to jump through hoops, they may make it challenging,

Most important, know this is the beginning ......make one positive change at a time as you obtain your information and begin your journey.

Never give up, you are so worth being satisfied with yourself and your choices!

Nothing comes easy...the reward is obtained in your success based upon your commitment. . YES you CAN! Do not give in to the negitivity

Research insurance companies, but it seems most have a year wait period until they will treat a pre-existing condition (obesity). There are some good deals around the US for fairly cheap that you may want to look into as well.

Ugh I feel you on the clothes, especially the bras. Mine are 60 bucks a pop and they come from Britain so I have a hard time getting the size right.I don't have nearly as much clothing as I should because they're either so expensive or they don't fit. Lane Bryant depresses me, I go in there looking for cute tops but all I ever find are overpriced muumuus. I can't WAIT to go shopping and actually ENJOY it!

I can't help too much on the insurance, but I am guessing they won't make you take another sleep study if they already know you have sleep apnea. Even if they do, most of them are done at home these days. They just mailed me the machine, I slept with it on for two days, then shipped it back ore-paid. Mine had this horrible voice, it talked at me and told me (when I was asleep) that it was out of position, then my husband would laugh at me. I was super embarassed over it for some reason haha!

Believe it or not, the reflux may help you out. A lot of people with bad heartburn also have a hiatal hernia, and even if your insurance won't pay for the band, they will pay for that. Some surgeons will put in your band when they go in to repair the hernia, so your insurance covers the hernia and you will only have to pay for the band. Fills aren't usually cheap though, so make sure you don't forget about those whatever you do!

Those are some great goals you have in mind, good luck!!

Ive had Blue Cross/BlueShield forever, they paid 100% of the surgery because i had some of the co morbidities they required like high blood pressure, sleep apnea and a proven try at weight loss. ( 6 months at weight watchers). get your self a good surgeon who is reccommended, you going to have to put yourself in his/ her hands so you need to like and trust that Dr. and their team. Ive been banded since last December, down from 225 to 180, very happy with my results so far. Im living, not just existing ! Good luck, you can do this !

Great idea to have goals to work towards. Try to set some short and medium term goals as well and be sure to plan some non-food celebrations as you achieve each one.