Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Should I Change Surgeon Only Weeks Before Surgery Date?

Hi Everyone,

I had my second meeting with my surgeon last night. At the first meeting I didn't know what procedure I wanted and he talked me into a Sleeve. Last night I explained I had done a lot of research and had decided the Sleeve was too drastic for me and I wanted the Band.

The surgeons jaw hit the desk and he spent the next 5 minutes telling me what a mistake I was making. "Bands only work 50% of the time; I've cleaned up so many messes with the band; the weight loss is temporary and slow; at least 40% of bands require some sort of revision at some stage" ....and on and on and on....blah blah blah !!! BUT - he followed this with "I will do the band if you really want it". I came away from the meeting disillusioned, upset and confused. :(

I think I need to find another surgeon....I don't think I can progress with someone who doesn't believe in the procedure I want.

(His stats 600 Bypass surgeries; 300 Sleeves and 100 Bands.)

BUT - I am really annoyed and disappointed that I have already invested so much time in this process ....meeting psych's, nutritionists; etc... AND around $500 for these pre-surgery meetings too!! If I move surgeons, I will have to start again. I am booked in for surgery on July 16.

SHould I stay with him and get the surgery done on 16th? Or bite the bullet and find another surgeon?

Thoughts?

Regards

Kiwi

PS: Another thought has crossed my mind - and wondering what you think. Do you think surgeons are anti-band due to the more intensive follow up care that is required. I think they like the idea of cutting off your stomach and setting you free - never to see you again. I think the fill/unfill thing makes us less attractive as patients from a commercial and time perspective. Am I being a conspiracy theorist?? Or is there something in that?

I havent got baned yet either. But im like u i want whats gonna do best for me. An rite now im trying to trust the band. I really want u to email @ lakishajackson21@ail.com. We can do this together!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using LapBandTalk

I think you need to, pardon the expression, trust your gut. If you feel that the sleeve is too drastic for you and the band is what makes you more comfortable, then that's what you should do. I had several surgeons tell me that the sleeve would give me "more bang for my buck" (yeah, one actually used that phrase) but I just didn't feel fully comfortable with it. So I found a surgeon who was on my team and not only listened to my concerns, but walked me through every possible issue that he was aware of and how they could be managed. I walked into my surgery as confident as I think a person could have been.

I love visiting my doctor for adjustments - he and his team are some of the best supporters I have and are always looking out for me. If you don't feel that your surgeon has your best interests at heart then maybe you should find a new one. I know that it's hard to reconcile how much time and money you've already invested into this procedure, but you have to feel that your surgeon and the team are backing you 100% because you see them pretty much every month and they are the folks who should be encouraging you, not tearing you down.

I think every surgeon has their own preferred procedure for various reasons. Some, I'm sure, do like doing a "cut and run" with the sleeve. Others may prefer the band because of the return visits (and the money that comes with each visit). My surgeon told me that he just likes helping people get healthier and loves to see their progress no matter what procedure they chose and that's one of the many reasons I went with him.

You've got to do what you feel is best for you. And your family, your friends, and the folks on this board will support you no matter what you end up choosing to do.

Cheers - Jen

My dr was the opposite. I was leaning much further towards the sleeve, which he said he would be happy to do if thats what I wanted (he does approx 40% sleeves to 60% bands) but told me all the positives of the band and said how much better it would be for me. I trusted him and his recommendation. It comes down to trust. He felt that even though I qualified for the sleeve, it was too drastic for a 25 year old who wants to have more children.

Do what your gut tells you. If you are not comfortable with the surgeon, seek a second opinion. I know you've vested all this time already, but it's possible that all of that may not go to waste. If you've already been cleared by psych and nutrition, you may be able to forward that onto the next surgeon. Doesn't hurt to look into at least. Do what's best for YOU. :)

wow, i am kinda surprised. my dr at the beginning wanted me to do the bypass (as my insurance does not cover the sleeve). i steadfast said no. to me, once they cut my stomach, there is no going back to what it was before. so i stood my ground. he advised me that this is merely a tool and not a save all. i chose to get the band as i am the most comfortable. my surgeon offered me the plication (at no charge) and it is a def good thing to me. its the sleeve w/o surgery. they just fold my stomach into itself and make it smaller.

this decision is yours. if you dont want it, dont get it. the customer is always right and you are the customer. if you are uncomfortable with this guy, dont use him. you need to feel trust/confidence in the person who is performing major surgery on you.

all the best on whatever you decide.

All of your pre op testing will work with a new surgeon. You would just need your current surgeon's office to give you all the results to take with you. They do this all the time; no biggie!

My dietian asked me why I wanted the lapband during my visit with her, 1 month prior to even seeing my surgeon. She agreed with me and even on a stomach model showed me the lapband. Of course she didnt know that my sister works for Allergan (one of the U.S. makers of the band). So, I had enough information ahead of time. When Dr. Thoman asked me which one I was interested in, I said Lapband. And he agreed 100% and then explained why at my age (way way over 39) it was a positive and safe solution.

If you don't feel comfortable with your surgeon and his explanation, move on and bite the bullet on money spent. It's only your life you are worrying about. A surgeon will get paid no matter what choice. I'm due for the Band on Aug. 6.

Good luck

There is no way I'd let an anti-band doctor put a band in me. If he's this vocal about not liking the band now, imagine what his support (or lack thereof) is going to be like after the band! The psych eval and nutritionist consult is usually to satisfy insurance requirements so you should be able to transfer that to another doctor. I wouldn't walk away from your current doc... I'D RUN!!

There is no way I'd let an anti-band doctor put a band in me. If he's this vocal about not liking the band now, imagine what his support (or lack thereof) is going to be like after the band! The psych eval and nutritionist consult is usually to satisfy insurance requirements so you should be able to transfer that to another doctor. I wouldn't walk away from your current doc... I'D RUN!!

(run forrest run)

If he's only placed 100 bands he wouldn't qualify as a surgeon for me. Maybe his inexperience with the band is why he has to adjust so many?

tmf

I have the band the sleeve was not an opition at the time I got mine. If I had it to do over again I would do the sleeve simply because it is not a constant fill, unfill, stuck leaks and slips. Visit the Dr office all the time. Having said that, the band can come out the sleeve is a fact of life.

I think as technology moves forward Dr. see better results with new techniques and equipment and they make their judgments from that. Think how surgerys on the heart have improved with new inivation you wouldn't want an old procedure done on your heart that only worked some of the time. I think your Dr. has moved on with whats new.

It is your choice but think of this from both sides, I think you were expecting one thing and got a curve ball and now you are confused. It boils down to one is permanent one is not, One is lifetime up keep one is as you say cut and go. If you are the type of person who can go on your merry way that might be your opition if you need a lot of support and follow up the band is what you need,

The Dr was giving you his best advice from his experience. so don't kill the messenger he really was doing his job in giving you his best judgment.

Yes, I think that a lot of surgeons are anti-band because the patient education, aftercare, and support is time-consuming and expensive. That's partly because surgeons are trained to approach surgery as a one-time fix-it thing. But bariatric surgery doesn't work that way.

I would not have a band put in by a doctor who hates the band. I don't think you'd get the patient education, aftercare, and support you need from him (see above) to succeed. I hate that you've gotten this far and only now have discovered his true feelings about the band. If he or someone in his practice speaks at pre-op educational seminars, they need to make that position clear then so other people don't waste their time as you have.

On the other hand, the sleeve is not as terrible as you might think. While it's scary to think of losing a big part of your stomach, people have been surviving gastrectomies for decades. Years ago I had a coworker who had lost most of her stomach because of ulcers and she was healthy and happy. And slim.

Im in NZ and have just woken up; checked my emails to see all of your responses waiting for me. Thank you soooo much for your advice .... And the time you have taken to type such comprehensive answers. There are a range perspectives - which is really really helpful. Thanks everyone.

Kiwi. :)

Whatever surgery you chose I hope it is with a Dr you feel comfortable with. If you chose the band you are going to be dealing with this Dr a lot.

Good luck and say hello to Hayley Westenra for me. :)