Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Supportive Have Your Doctors Been?

I had an interesting experience last week. I went to my endocrinologist for a follow up on my thyroid. This was my third visit to her, as my doctors keep moving or retiring. We were almost at the end of the appointment and she told me that I need to lose weight. I agreed and told her that the last time I saw her I had mentioned that I was in the waiting period for Lap Band Surgery. Apparently she didn't make note of it and did not seem to understand. She started lecturing me on losing weight the natural way and I just needed to try harder. She told me that all surgery is risky.

My insurance requires a year waiting period before surgery and I am doing everything I am suppose to do. My PCP is onboard and even asked me if I'd thought about surgery before I could tell him that I'd gone to an informational meeting. After his positive reaction, I was very surprised at the endocrinologist's very negative reaction.

I think in writing this I've decided to see her on my next follow-up and if she is still opposed to the surgery, I will find another doctor. If I had been seeing her for years and trusted her opinion, I'd be more inclined to listen to her. I'm 6 months into my year and I have spoken to the surgeon, the nutritionist and the counselor. I know the risks, and what to expect. I'm not about to turn back now without a really good reason.

Has anyone else run into negative reactions like this from your doctors? What did you end up doing?

my GP was onboard his wife had the sleeve so he was very up on all the surgeries which was great. I don't know that I would want to continue to go to a doctor who would not be supportive of my decision.

My endocrinologist was angry I wasn't having A bypass or the sleeve.

I thought he would be thrilled I was finally doing something about.my weight. I informed him I had thoroughly researched my options and I had decided on the Lap Band. Good luck and stand strong.

I had a Dr that I switched from when I started the process because she was always a bit rude. I had tried other insurance program weight loss options (where you speak with someone at insurance as a coach and see a dietician and Dr) and she was totally unreceptive and cold. I figured I would get her out of the way first thing.

Yes, My PCP was very much against my having Lap Band. She actually said she didn't think it would work for me and all I needed to do was push my self away from the table and move more. I said, Well, thanks so much for the advice and that was the last time I saw her. I have a new doctor now and she signed off on the procedure, gave me my pre op physical . It really didn't make any difference to me what she thought either. I didn't even need for her to be onboard as I'm a self pay. I love my surgeon. He is never too busy to get back to me quickly if I have any questions. This decision shouldnt be entered into lightly by any means , but as an intelligent adult and having lived in my body for 56 yrs. I feel equipped to make this decision.

I had a Dr that I switched from when I started the process because she was always a bit rude. I had tried other insurance program weight loss options (where you speak with someone at insurance as a coach and see a dietician and Dr) and she was totally unreceptive and cold. I figured I would get her out of the way first thing.

I am also talking to an insurance coach on the phone twice a month. That took a little getting used to but she has warmed up a bit. I can't say I've gotten anything out of it but it is required.

Doctors are just regular people. Some went into medicine because they cared about helping people, and some went into medicine for the prestige and money. Some people are opinionated know-it-alls, and some are supportive and kind. So it goes for doctors. Sorry you got a lemon. Good for you for moving on. Life is too short to spend it with the sour people.

Sent from my iPhone using LapBandTalk

I am also talking to an insurance coach on the phone twice a month. That took a little getting used to but she has warmed up a bit. I can't say I've gotten anything out of it but it is required.

I found the coach to be pretty open and receptive, but the Dr who was helping with the program was terrible...

Past experience has told me that just because a Dr. had M.D. after his/her name doesnt make them know everything, it means just means they are a Medical Doctor. Go with a Dr that will support you and your decisions asbout YOUR body, because its your life and health that you have to live with. Good luck !

This thread has helped me - thanks everyone who has posted.

I had my second meeting with my surgeon last night. (7:00pm meeting) The previous meeting with him, I didn't know what procedure I wanted and he talked me into a sleeve. This meeting I let him know I had been doing lots of research and had decided the sleeve was too drastic for me and I had decided to have the Band. His jaw hit the desk and he spent the next 5 minutes telling me what I mistake I was making. The Band doesn't work; I clean up so many messes; weight loss is only temporary and very slow; at least 40% of all bands need revision surgery at some stage ...BLAH BLAH BLAH !!! Then he said "But I'll do it if you really want me to". I came away from the meeting disillusioned, upset and confused. :(

I have decided I need to find another surgeon; and am sooo disappointed I have wasted so much money on my appointments thus far - AND so much time !!! But; I really cannot progress with a surgeon who doesn't believe in the procedure I want. Do you think I am crazy changing surgeon at this late stage? I am booked in for 16th August.

What do you think?

Regards

Kiwi.

This thread has helped me - thanks everyone who has posted.

I had my second meeting with my surgeon last night. (7:00pm meeting) The previous meeting with him' date=' I didn't know what procedure I wanted and he talked me into a sleeve. This meeting I let him know I had been doing lots of research and had decided the sleeve was too drastic for me and I had decided to have the Band. His jaw hit the desk and he spent the next 5 minutes telling me what I mistake I was making. The Band doesn't work; I clean up so many messes; weight loss is only temporary and very slow; at least 40% of all bands need revision surgery at some stage ...BLAH BLAH BLAH !!! Then he said "But I'll do it if you really want me to". I came away from the meeting disillusioned, upset and confused. :(

I have decided I need to find another surgeon; and am sooo disappointed I have wasted so much money on my appointments thus far - AND so much time !!! But; I really cannot progress with a surgeon who doesn't believe in the procedure I want. Do you think I am crazy changing surgeon at this late stage? I am booked in for 16th August.

What do you think?

Regards

Kiwi.[/quote']

I'm glad to hear this thread has helped you. I don't think you would be crazy to change surgeons if you don't feel this one is right for you. I think a part of your success is having a doctor that you trust and that you communicate well with. You're going to have to see this surgeon for a long time after the surgery.

When I was looking for a surgeon, I first decided that I wanted the least invasive. I started with so many miles from my home and narrowed it to the city. I found the hospital that I have history with had a bariatric team. I found that they had informational meetings for free. I decided at the meeting that I liked the surgeon. He was through in covering the options and the risks. I knew before I left that day that I was going forward with this. During my one-on-one with the surgeon I asked which procedure he was most comfortable doing. He said he did the LapBand more often and his patients seemed to have a greater success than with the other band (Realize).

That's my saga. What ever you decide, good luck. You can do this.

Very discouraging! I didn't really even tell my PCP until she received some labwork that was abnormal from my pre-op testing. When she asked me about it, and commented on such a thorough work-up, I explained that I had it done as part of the WLS program and that I was getting the lap band. She was both excited and curious. She's relatively new and wasn't completely "up" on bariatric surgery. I've seen her once since surgery, and I had lost 35 lbs, and she was SO happy.

If this doctor is an important part of your care, I would either 1) sit and talk with her, let her know that this was an important choice you made for yourself and would appreciate her support, or 2) give her one last try before switching.

I've worked along side doctors for the past 8 years and the one thing that I've learned are doctors are people too. They come in a wide variety, but you should never be afraid to speak up to your physician. You've essentially put them in charge of your care, and your opinion deserves the right to be heard.

Also - Kiwi - my surgeon highly favored the sleeve. I asked him why, and he explained that besides it being easier to do than bypass, it kind of took the control from the patient. It's becoming the most successful WLS as far as quickness of weight loss and longer term results. He felt that the band patient had to be in the right frame of mind. Out of his 10 post-ops, 2 were well ahead of expectations, 5 were right on track, and 3 were not doing well at all with weight loss.

I assured him that my mind was set on the band and that mentally, I was ready. He thought for my starting body type (I started at 243 lbs) that the band would be alright.

I get no greater pleasure than going in for every follow-up/fill and proving to him that I'm totally ROCKING this Lap Band!! He's always full of positive compliments for me and my progress.

Luckily, all of my doctors have been VERY supportive of my decision to get the band. It would have been a bummer to encounter resistance from them. You need to surround yourself with supportive people before, during and after surgery!

Very discouraging! I didn't really even tell my PCP until she received some labwork that was abnormal from my pre-op testing. When she asked me about it' date=' and commented on such a thorough work-up, I explained that I had it done as part of the WLS program and that I was getting the lap band. She was both excited and curious. She's relatively new and wasn't completely "up" on bariatric surgery. I've seen her once since surgery, and I had lost 35 lbs, and she was SO happy.

If this doctor is an important part of your care, I would either 1) sit and talk with her, let her know that this was an important choice you made for yourself and would appreciate her support, or 2) give her one last try before switching.

I've worked along side doctors for the past 8 years and the one thing that I've learned are doctors are people too. They come in a wide variety, but you should never be afraid to speak up to your physician. You've essentially put them in charge of your care, and your opinion deserves the right to be heard.[/quote']

I do plan to see the endocronogist in 4 months and see if we are communicating better. At that point I will have put in 10 months and I will expect her to be supportive. It was not a snap decision that I will change without very good reason.

It's good to hear that your PCP was so supportive. They should all be like that.