Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone here have to get their gallbladder removed prior to lap band? What were the reasons and how was your experience? I have to meet with my surgeon today to discuss this :(

Anyone here have to get their gallbladder removed prior to lap band? What were the reasons and how was your experience? I have to meet with my surgeon today to discuss this :(

i had mine out about 7 yrs ago. same type surgery as my band/plication. (same type pain but only missed 3 days work) .. i had lost alot of weight and one day i ate some pizza.....yes its true, and the middle of the night, between my shoulder blades hurt worse than anything i could imagine. so off to ER we went and had emergency gallbladder surgery. they took it out and i have been fine since.

let them take it and be done w/it. gallstones are no fun.

I had mine out about four years before I was banded. I never had any pain or symptoms at all until I woke up one morning a little nauseous. Stayed nauseous throughout the day, and started having some minor chest pain, so I went to the ER that evening. They diagnosed gallbladder and I had it removed early the next morning.

I thought the ladband surgery was a little more difficult to recover from than the gallbladder, but it may have just been that I was four years older when I had the lapband!

I have three scars from the galbaldder (not including the one in my bellybutton), and six from my lapband, so my stomach looks like I've been sliced and diced!!

I have three scars from the galbaldder (not including the one in my bellybutton), and six from my lapband, so my stomach looks like I've been sliced and diced!!

**mine too***

I had mine out 3 weeks before my lapband. I knew I had gallstones and I was afraid of complications during or after my lapband surgery.

I was having minor symtoms like feeling nauseus after eating fried egg, minor back pain and having stomach pain more and more frequently. My doctor order an ultrasound and saw a bunch of big stones in my gallbladder and also the common bile ducts were inflammated. It was my decision to take out before I start having pain.

Something that influenced my decision was my insurance. I have a $2500 deductible for hospitals and if I waited for later I would have to pay deductible twice. So in 11/18/11 I had my gallbladder removed and 3 weeks later 12/9/11 my lapband by the same doctor.

I had mine out 7 months AFTER Lapband surgery. It was done laparoscopically and I was back to work the following week. I was having horrible symptoms, and it took awhile to diagnose. They thought it was band related at first. No stones, just stopped functioning.

I had mine out 7 months AFTER Lapband surgery. It was done laparoscopically and I was back to work the following week. I was having horrible symptoms, and it took awhile to diagnose. They thought it was band related at first. No stones, just stopped functioning.

I've had a similar series of events happen to me...initially I was hospitalized, and later diagnosed with pancreatitis...the very scary part was that my bariatric surgeon tried to pass off the symptoms I was having as a pulled muscle. When my PCP got the hospital to fax him my lab results, he immediately asked me if my surgeon had mentioned my elevated lipase levels, which he had not. My mild pancreatitis was caused by my gall bladder, and additional testing did not show any traces of gallstones, but that my gall bladder was not working at all. My PCP said that the gall bladder issue is likely related to my recent weight loss. Who knew??

I'm trying to delay surgery to remove it; 3 abdominal surgeries within a year is just too much to cope with. I continue to experience intermittent waves of nausea, and sporadic series of sharp pain in my upper right side. The general surgeon was ok with me waiting, as we have no idea when my gallbladder quit working, and my hope is that the symptoms will subside over time. A concern I have is that not everyone who has their gall bladder removed has their symptoms resolve post op.

I've had a similar series of events happen to me...initially I was hospitalized' date=' and later diagnosed with pancreatitis...the very scary part was that my bariatric surgeon tried to pass off the symptoms I was having as a pulled muscle. When my PCP got the hospital to fax him my lab results, he immediately asked me if my surgeon had mentioned my elevated lipase levels, which he had not. My mild pancreatitis was caused by my gall bladder, and additional testing did not show any traces of gallstones, but that my gall bladder was not working at all. My PCP said that the gall bladder issue is likely related to my recent weight loss. Who knew??

I'm trying to delay surgery to remove it; 3 abdominal surgeries within a year is just too much to cope with. I continue to experience intermittent waves of nausea, and sporadic series of sharp pain in my upper right side. The general surgeon was ok with me waiting, as we have no idea when my gallbladder quit working, and my hope is that the symptoms will subside over time. A concern I have is that not everyone who has their gall bladder removed has their symptoms resolve post op. [/quote']

I couldn't get mine out fast enough. My attacks were bad and sporadic... and I ended up in the ER three times. I went through so many tests. I actually switched PCP's because mine just wanted to wait things out. Very frustrating.

I hope you continue to feel well enough to postpone surgery. I felt tons better and my symptoms were resolved. No phantoms attacks. Thankfully.

I had my gallbladder out in October 2007. I had been dieting before hand using Phentermine and lost 65 lbs in 4 months. Me losing that much weight that quickly cause my gallstones...they were like gravel. Surgery is a breeze and then you get to go home. Just make sure you stay up right for several days. They pump a lot of air into you to do the procedure and it can cause discomfort in your shoulders and neck. And be careful eating broccoli afterwards....it's the hardest food to digest and if I eat too much or it too quickly my abdomen hurts - I've heard that's common after gall bladder surgery from various ppl.

My concern is... I have no concerns!! (with my gallbladder). Have never had any pain, attacks, or anything. But my surgeon says the ultrasound shows I have polyps or gallstones and he wants it removed before I can get my band :(

I guess my question is, would I be having my gallbladder removed if I wasn't planning on getting banded? Hmmm.

Whelp... guess I am having my gallbladder out. Doctor says that he will not do lap band unless I have it out b/c he is concerned for complications with the gallbladder post surgery. Also found out I have to have a renal MRI due to a cyst or small mass on my kidney. It just keeps getting better!

Had mind out 20 plus years ago after loosing a hundred pounds (I was 19 at the time). Regular incision. That scar is much worse/noticeable than my port scar. Don't mess with a gall baldder. The pains can be HORRIFIC. Lie on the bed in a fetal position and feel like you can't breath horrific! And I have a VERY HIGH pain threshold. I was a young and come hell or high Water I was going back to college after spring break.

Someone I worked with (super thin) had it removed had complications and was out of work for 3 months. Another reason to not mess with the gall bladder.

I am having my gallbladder out in the same surgery as my lapband... They are also fixing a hiatal hernia... three surgeries in one!

I never had pain related to my gallbladder, but I got to where I couldn't tolerate eggs and I would get frequent diahrrea after eating. When I mentioned these to my lapband surgeon, he said it was likely a combination of the hernia and gallbladder and sent me for an endoscopy and gallbladder ultrasound. Turned out I have gallstones and a hernia. My lapband surgeon said it was good that the gallbladder was coming out because it usually goes crazy after drastic weightloss and he ends up having to go in and remove the gallbladder a year or so after lapband surgery in most patients.

I had my gallbladder out 21 years ago after having my first child. Mine was so bad I lost 45 pounds in one month from it. I had the old surgery I was getting juandes from it. It was bad they stopped counting stones at 100. My stomach looks like connect the dots but I don't care. Good luck to you

I had gallbladder surgery In May and my lap band is scheduled for August 1st. The only painful or uncomfortable part about the gallbladder remival was the incision at the belly button and the gas pain. All in all easy procedure and recovery. If your dr wants to do gallbladder and Lapland surgery at the same time, let him.. Wish I could have done that.