Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First Stuck Episode-Question

Got my 2nd fill last week and definally have restriction now! Well, my grandfather is in the hospital and between work and visits, no time to eat! I was starving! Well...I are too fast and .I got stuck! It hurt soooooo bad! I kept having to spit! I thought I was going to throw up ! Eventually it went down. I did spit up/threw up the tea I drank to try and get it down mixed with some plemn (sorry-tmi). Anyway, while I feel better, I don't feel right! My throat and chest kind of hurts! Is this normal? Not bad, but not right eithe! Ughhh!!!

Welcome!!!

Sorry to hear you had that but now you have experienced getting stuck!

The tenderness you feel is normal after a larger stuck episode, usually after a stuck episode if I have something to eat after it is liquid or a Protein shake. I let it calm down before I try food again if it is a tougher stick. Something mild you are generally ok to eat just be careful. Stress and being in a hurry and not chewing right do not mix, the stress can cause you to constrict and make you feel tighter.

This is why it is important to drag along a lunch bag with you and eat something either there when your not in a rush or eat prior to leaving, but you must eat to get in the Protein and avoid the rush that got you stuck in the first place. I know it is easier said than done, however think back to this episode and when you forget it you will have another one that will imprint it upon your being and keep you careful for awhile.

I had one the other day where I ate a two small bites of a rice/re fried bean mixture. The second bite as soon as i swallowed I knew it was all over, it seemed to create almost a plug in my tummy. I had a doc appt a couple days after and told them, it took me awhile in and out of the bathroom and a three finger throat tickle to finally get it up! Not fun, not ladylike but it was NOT going anywhere

Good luck

My Dr advices after a big stick let it rest and do liquids , and liquid childrens Benadryl is a savior though I do not know why. But it works. Carry a Protein Bar with you or something for those starving times. I loved the 3 finger tickle approach but I only need 2, Not pretty but it works when nothing else does. Good Luck and this is a learning experience but it happens to all of us when we are hurried, stressed, and really hungry.

So sorry about your first "stuck" moment.... I remember the first time I PBd. It was HORRIBLE!

Just based off my experiences, I would say it is pretty normal to have some discomfort afterwards.

As far as the reason it happened....we all do it eventually. Eat too fast because we are STARVING! That is why it is best to always eat when youre supposed to. I eat 5 times a day usually during the week. Small meals though out the day. However, the weekends always throw me off and it's always harder for me to eat. So just make sure you keep consistent with your eating habits the best that you can.

I find that the days that I'm really tight, I tend to drink more hot/warm liquids to help. There have been days I wasn't able to eat all day which made me very weak, so I would heat up Tomato Soup and get Gatorade and that almost always does the trick for me.