Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Could you share your liquid diets? Currently I am on Protein Shakes then 2 days pre op on on Clear Liquids. I am determined to do this. I've had a headache for a good part of these 2 days. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

amp up the portein shakes with some oats.. ( not a whole lot) and fruits.

my ultimate shake when i was on liquids.. consisted of blue berries, Protein powder, 2 teaspoons of oats, 3 oz of yogurt blended together in either crystal light, Vitamin Water zero, or low calorie gatorade.

it doesnt taste liek a Protein Shake since it has the fruity flavour and i loved it.. because it snt just water.. it helps keep u fuller for longer.

others things u can use are rasp berries straw berries, half a banana, carrots, black berries, low calories penut butter, really anything u like.. and blend..

Are you pre or post surgery? That makes a difference. Headache may be caffeine withdrawal? Make sure you stay hydrated!! Lots and lots of Water.

Pre surgery I did two Protein shakes and lean Protein with veggie for dinner.

Post surgery I am currently on full liquids. Premixed Protein drinks, protein smoothies, broth, skimmed Soups... basically anything that will go up a straw (but don't use a straw!).

Adorkbl.... did consider that possibility of caffeine usually have only one cup of coffee and almost never any additional fix during the day. I am pre op surgery scheduled on the 20 th next Friday. I am so determined to keep busy and not think about anything I am missing out on but how successful I am determined to be! They have me on all Protein shakes for one week.

Babycakes86... Sounds good.I'm going shopping!

I didn't know we weren't supposed to use a straw! oops, oh well. Anyone know why?

As for liquids, I found that there were a LOT of Soups out there I'd never heard of - just in trying to find broth type soups without anything else in them. You can also add seasonings to almost any broth so if you want chicken tortilla type Soup, add some chili powder or chipotle. Want roast w/ potatoes? Add garlic seasoning, or au jus to beef broth, etc. I just got creative walking up and down the aisles but only getting what was truly liquid. And even though it feels like it lasts forever while you're going through it, it isn't really forever ;). Also on the diet aisles there are SO many Protein drink options -some taste better than others but you can get even flavors like mint or Peanut Butter, etc. I ended up preferring the carnation instant breakfasts and am still having one every morning even though I'm on to mushies now. Best of luck to you!

For my liquid diet phases, I only had Protein shakes, the allowed 3 cups of 1% milk daily, Water, clear chicken broth, SF Jello, and SF popsicles.

Being on liquids meant, as per the instructions from my surgeon that there were not to be any additives to the shakes, with the exception of ice cubes.

No Soups were allowed, only plain broth. No fruit, and no oats, no yogurt. If you add these items to the blender when you make your shakes, it is more like a pureed liquid, and does not really meet the definition of the Protein shake requirements, at least from my surgeon's opinion.

The liquid diet is a %^$*#...but it is a means to the end of moving on with the diet phase of the journey with your band. Compliance now with the diet means that later you will likely discover that compliance is less challenging, especially when there will be many more options and temptations to avoid. IMHO

Your mileage may vary...best wishes for success.

im told we're not supposed to use straws since it causes you to swallow to much air..

on my liquid diet i was allowed to have broth based soups.. with the Pasta and chicken and whole nine.. for lunch i mostly had the progresso low sodium soups.. i was also allowed to have half a piece of fruit.. such as an apple or banana as a snack.< /p>

the liquid diet is meant to allow ur liver to shrink as ur liver in infront of ur stomach, shrinking it makes it easier for the surgeon to go around it... and allows better healing.

Thanks for the information everyone good stuff!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Aunty Mamo

Iʻm roughly 6 weeks post-op this morning and have begun to feel like a normal human, with a normal human body again. I started introducing solid foods and pill forms of medications/supplements a couple of weeks ago and it's really amazing to eat meals with my family again, despite the fact that my portions are so much smaller than theirs. 
      I live on the island of Oʻahu and spend a lot of time in the water- for exercise, for play,  and for spiritual & mental health. The day I had my month out appointment with my surgeon, I packed all my gear in my truck, anticipating his permission to get back in the ocean. The minute I walked out of that hospital I drove straight to the shore and got in that water. Hallelujah! My appointment was at 10 am. I didn't get home until after 5 pm. 
      I'm down 31 pounds since the day of surgery and 47 since my pre-op diet began, with that typical week long stall occurring at three weeks. I'm really starting to see some changes lately- some of my clothing is too big, some fits again. The most drastic changes I notice however are in my face. I've also noticed my endurance and flexibility increasing. I was really starting to be held up physically, and I'm so grateful that I'm seeing that turn around in such short order. 
      My general disposition lately is hopeful and motivated. The only thing that bugs me on a daily basis still is the way those supplements make my house smell. So stink! But I just bought a smell proof bag online that other people use to put their pot in. My house doesn't stink anymore. 

· 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • BeanitoDiego

Oh yeah, something I wanted to rant about, a billing dispute that cropped up 3 months ago.
      Surgery was in August of 2023. A bill shows up for over $7,000 in January. WTF? I asks myself. I know that I jumped through all of the insurance hoops and verified this and triple checked that, as did the surgeon's office. All was set, and I paid all of the known costs before surgery.
      A looong story short, is that an assistant surgeon that was in the process of accepting money from my insurance company touched me while I was under anesthesia. That is what the bill was for. But hey, guess what? Some federal legislation was enacted last year to help patients out when they cannot consent to being touched by someone out of their insurance network. These types of bills fall under something called, "surprise billing," and you don't have to put up with it.
      https://www.cms.gov/nosurprises
      I had to make a lot of phone calls to both the surgeon's office and the insurance company and explain my rights and what the maximum out of pocket costs were that I could be liable for. Also had to remind them that it isn't my place to be taking care of all of this and that I was going to escalate things if they could not play nice with one another.
      Quick ending is that I don't have to pay that $7,000+. Advocate, advocate, advocate for yourself no matter how long it takes and learn more about this law if you are ever hit with a surprise bill.
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Some days I feel like an infiltrator... I'm participating in society as a "thin" person. They have no idea that I haven't always been one of them! 🤣
      · 0 replies
    • ChunkCat

Thank you everyone for your well wishes! I totally forgot I wrote an update here... I'm one week post op today. I gained 15 lbs in water weight overnight because they had to give me tons of fluids to bring my BP up after surgery! I stayed one night in the hospital. Everything has been fine except I seem to have picked up a bug while I was there and I've been running a low grade fever, coughing, and a sore throat. So I've been hydrating well and sleeping a ton. So far the Covid tests are negative.
      I haven't been able to advance my diet past purees. Everything I eat other than tofu makes me choke and feels like trying to swallow rocks. They warned me it would get worse before it gets better, so lets hope this is all normal. I have my follow up on Monday so we'll see. Living on shakes and soup again is not fun. I had enough of them the first time!! LOL 
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Still purging all of the larger clothing. This morning, a shirt that I ADORED wearing ended up on top. Hard to let it go, but it was also hard to let go of those habits that also no longer serve my highest good. Onward and upward!
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches