Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can the hospital prevent me from driving myself home?

My surgery is at 7:15 in the morning and they'll probably keep me overnight. If I want to drive myself home the next day, can they stop me? I don't want to deal with taxis.

yes, they can. and you shouldn't try - you will have just had major surgery and your reflexes are not such that it is safe for YOU or those around you. please, take the taxi or ask a friend or relative to help you get home..

this doesn't even take into consideration the fact that you'll be on drugs such as morphine, demerol, vicodon etc...

Jean... you would be putting yourself and possibly the others on the road in danger... it's worth the price of the taxi. You may feel you are clear the next morning but I know I am still fuzy about dome of the details of that day after surgery so the anesthesia was obviously still having an effect. Good luck with your surgery!

They can and will. Even for "minor" surgeries, like when my husband had his wisdom teeth cut out, the terms of his release included someone physically there to pick him up.

I don't think you'd be in any condition to drive anyway. Narcotic medications, pain, sleepiness and fatigue... not good driving companions. :)

Just because we can do something doesn't mean that we should do something.

It would be a very bad idea to drive yourself home after any sort of surgery. BAD IDEA!

This would violate two of my guiding principles in life: Never borrow trouble, and God never told you to do anything stupid.

You would probably be sited for driving while impaired, plus you would realy be in no condition to drive.

If you were close, I'd come and get you. We care.

Rats. I was afraid you guys were going to say that. What if I just left? I mean, they're not going to physically restrain me, are they?

What if I got in a cab, went around the block, and then have the driver drop me off next to my car?

It's just, I can't figure out the logistics of this thing. Let's say I do take a cab. What do I do with my purse, phone, etc while they're operating on me? Do they have lockers or something? If I could drive, I could leave everything in my car and just take the keys with me.

I know I'm being foolish, but cabs are notoriously unreliable here and also, since I don't know where my purse will be while I'm in the OR, I don't want to have to carry a bunch of cash so I can pay the driver.

Am I overcomplicating this? Maybe I could get a car service. Or maybe there's a bus I could take. Or maybe there's a hotel nearby. That could work!

Maybe someone here on LBT would be willing to give you a lift? Beats a cab driver, that's for sure!

Take only what you need, which isn't much. The staff will keep a good eye on your personal items. How far are you from the hospital?

My surgery is at 7:15 in the morning and they'll probably keep me overnight. If I want to drive myself home the next day, can they stop me? I don't want to deal with taxis.

A nurse will take you out in a wheelchair (doesn't matter if you can walk or not), it's hospital policy everywhere. They will NOT allow you to drive yourself.

I'll tell you what I did. I had open heart surgery and spent 2 weeks in the hospital. I had driven myself to the hospital (thought I had indigestion) and my car had sat there 2 weeks in the emergency room parking lot. The nurse insisted on wheeling me out. I called a taxi, she saw me off, and I had him drive around the parking lot to my car, and off I went. I have to admit it was painful though. I had a friend bring me a pillow to the hospital and I put that between the seatbelt and myself. I could have had a friend drive me, but I wasn't leaving my car there any longer.

It's always an option to go that route. They do have lockers to keep your purse and everything else. If you are staying the night, you have to refuse any type of pain medication in the morning...you don't want to be driving impaired. You know it isn't the ideal solution, but in my case it was the only one. I had one aspirin the morning I was dismissed.

Say you do get a taxi to drive you to your car... you're more drowsy than you thought and you have a wreck. Now you're dead, with a brand new band inside of you that was supposed to trigger your new life. But, you wanted to drive, so you're dead. Sucks, huh?

Security will tag your belongings and put them in a safe place. If anything comes up missing, the hospital is liable. I used to work as a nurse in a hospital--people lock up stuff all of the time. Don't risk driving.

Take only enough cash to pay the cab driver to and from the hospital. If you must take your cell phone with you,the last time you use it before surgery lock it...do you know how to lock it?(Mine can be locked but I don't know how! lol) Wear no jewelry, not even a watch..you can look at clocks on the wall to see what time it is. Ask the nurses to lock up your cab money for the trip home and tell 'em it had better be there or the y'll have to pay your cab fare home! LOL. Social Services at the hospital should be able to help you get home if you have no one else to help you.

okay, so i think you are being absolutley selfish! what if you were to get into an accident and it was your daughters best friend? All because you wanted to drive home? Don't be crazy, get a friend to bring you home. Its much safer!

I would get a car service, if you can't get a friend to pick you up or anything. Or maybe there's a hotel near by where you can stay a night, in which case, they'll have a shuttle service or something. The hospital will watch your things, and they'll probably be with you in your room when you get there.

Yes, you are overcomplicating this. :)

I know I'm being foolish, but cabs are notoriously unreliable here ...

Ou daughter has lived in the area for eight years...uses taxis all the time because--according to her--they are more reliable than trying to find a parking space in LA and nobody has to be the designated driver.

And...you will have all the same logistical problems with cash for the parking lot, etc. The hospital will secure your stuff, but you can have money to pay the taxi in the trunk of your car at home...when he drops you off there.

One day post-op none of us belongs behind the wheel.