Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Completely in left field subject

Good Morning to all.

I was wondering if anyone new the reprocussions of having a car sent back to the dealer. I am finding that my car is overwhelming me and my life with it's large payment but i am not sure what to do. I am continusously in financial hardship because of the car and even one month behind. I am not sure how this would/could affect my credit and what else i would have to do after it went back. I am not sure if anyone has gone through this but any advice will be greatly appreciated.

I am not sure about the car, but the financing is probably through a 3rd party. If you simply send it back to the dealer, you may be hit on your credit report. A friend was able to trade the higher priced car in for a lesser price model, thus reducing the payment. Another option is to try and sell it on your own. You will probably get a better price for it that way. Good luck :)

Hi Becca...

Letting the car go back will be a definite bad mark on your credit... I would avoid that if at all possible. Is it possible that you could sell it for at least what you owe on it? It would be worth it to do that and save your credit history. Having bad credit makes life a bit tougher but it still wouldn't be the end of the world. Wishing you the best... sorry you are going through this...

1) Try to sell-private party for what you owe.

2) Trade it in for a cheaper car.

Good luck. Shawn

Have you tried refinancing it through a local bank or credit union? My hubby refinanced his truck and streched the payments out a couple more years, thus making the monthly payment smaller. Best of luck.

Returning it to the dealer will result in a reposession on your credit report. Short of a forclosure or a bankruptcy, it's the worst thing you can have there, and it will adversely affect you for many years to come, resulting in higher interest rates on any loan that you are able to get.

Chances are, you're upside down in the car, or you would have just decided to sell it and get out of the loan altogether, so that's probably not an option that's available to you.

Trading the car in on something cheaper is usally a mistake as well, since you'll just be wrapping negative equity into a new vehicle.

Although I don't know what your exact situation is, chances are the best thing you can do is to get caught up, somehow, and keep making those payments, until you owe less on the vehicle than you can sell it for.

I know that's not what you want to hear, and probably isn't very useful to you, but a repossession is going to hurt you for a very long time, and in ways that can easily add up to tens of thousands of dollars over the long haul in higher interest rates on everything from credit cards to car loans to mortgages.

Whatever you decide, I wish you the best of luck.

Jonathan

My mom had the same problem, she bought a truck and then had problems making the payment, but because she was upside down on the loan she (she owed more then it was worth) trading it in wouldn't have helped and selling it she would have taken a loss. (she ended up selling it at a loss)

What I would suggest is trying to make the payments until you owe about as much as the car is worth so you can trade it in with no negative equity......or you can refinance it to have smaller payments, however that would give you even more negative equity..assuming you are upside down on the loan. If your really desperate, try to sell it at a loss, and then just take ur loss with a grain of salt and try to purchase a cheaper car. There are sometimes situations where instead of selling the car out right, you can have some one take over payments....so they would essentially buy it for what you owe on it. That may be a possibility as well.

Good luck this isn't easy, those sales men always like to get us in over our heads...poor guys, its their job though.

If you own a home, can you refinance or get a HELOC and pay the car off? that would help and give you tax benefits of the refinance or equity line.

btw...if worse comes to worse - voluntarily give the car back to the dealership, don't let them repo it - and if you haven't talk to your finance co. first

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Eve411

April Surgery
      Am I the only struggling to get weight down. I started with weight of 297 and now im 280 but seem to not lose more weight. My nutrtionist told me not to worry about the pounds because I might still be losing inches. However, I do not really see much of a difference is this happen to any of you, if so any tips?
      Thanks
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Clueless_girl

Well recovering from gallbladder removal was a lot like recovering from the modified duodenal switch surgery, twice in 4 months yay 🥳😭. I'm having to battle cravings for everything i shouldn't have, on top of trying to figure out what happens after i eat something. Sigh, let me fast forward a couple of months when everyday isn't a constant battle and i can function like a normal person again! 😞
      · 0 replies
    • KeeWee

It's been 10 long years! Here is my VSG weight loss surgiversary update..
      https://www.ae1bmerchme.com/post/10-year-surgiversary-update-for-2024 
      · 0 replies
    • Aunty Mamo

Iʻm roughly 6 weeks post-op this morning and have begun to feel like a normal human, with a normal human body again. I started introducing solid foods and pill forms of medications/supplements a couple of weeks ago and it's really amazing to eat meals with my family again, despite the fact that my portions are so much smaller than theirs. 
      I live on the island of Oʻahu and spend a lot of time in the water- for exercise, for play,  and for spiritual & mental health. The day I had my month out appointment with my surgeon, I packed all my gear in my truck, anticipating his permission to get back in the ocean. The minute I walked out of that hospital I drove straight to the shore and got in that water. Hallelujah! My appointment was at 10 am. I didn't get home until after 5 pm. 
      I'm down 31 pounds since the day of surgery and 47 since my pre-op diet began, with that typical week long stall occurring at three weeks. I'm really starting to see some changes lately- some of my clothing is too big, some fits again. The most drastic changes I notice however are in my face. I've also noticed my endurance and flexibility increasing. I was really starting to be held up physically, and I'm so grateful that I'm seeing that turn around in such short order. 
      My general disposition lately is hopeful and motivated. The only thing that bugs me on a daily basis still is the way those supplements make my house smell. So stink! But I just bought a smell proof bag online that other people use to put their pot in. My house doesn't stink anymore. 

· 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Oh yeah, something I wanted to rant about, a billing dispute that cropped up 3 months ago.
      Surgery was in August of 2023. A bill shows up for over $7,000 in January. WTF? I asks myself. I know that I jumped through all of the insurance hoops and verified this and triple checked that, as did the surgeon's office. All was set, and I paid all of the known costs before surgery.
      A looong story short, is that an assistant surgeon that was in the process of accepting money from my insurance company touched me while I was under anesthesia. That is what the bill was for. But hey, guess what? Some federal legislation was enacted last year to help patients out when they cannot consent to being touched by someone out of their insurance network. These types of bills fall under something called, "surprise billing," and you don't have to put up with it.
      https://www.cms.gov/nosurprises
      I had to make a lot of phone calls to both the surgeon's office and the insurance company and explain my rights and what the maximum out of pocket costs were that I could be liable for. Also had to remind them that it isn't my place to be taking care of all of this and that I was going to escalate things if they could not play nice with one another.
      Quick ending is that I don't have to pay that $7,000+. Advocate, advocate, advocate for yourself no matter how long it takes and learn more about this law if you are ever hit with a surprise bill.
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches