Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

July Bandsters....lets Here You....

So proud of you girls!! What a GREAT start to a new way of living. Thanks for sharing those "issues" with us...so good to be mindful of what we might expect in these early days. So much to learn about how/what to eat....that's a little concerning, but we all have to figure it out, I guess. Still, GENERAL thoughts are so important!

My day got better....had a REAL moment earlier, feeling so sorry for myself. Dumb...but I got over it.

Still not getting in all the shakes. I just would rather not have anything than to gag down another one. Just trying to get through avoiding food.

I'm visiting my folks for the weekend. Their Srs group at their church is hosting an event, complete w/ a MEXICAN BUFFET. That happens to be MY FAVORITE cuisine. So, I'm not going until AFTER the meal/clean-up is done!! Can't see putting myself through that...so I will just go later.

Anyone tried eating Mexican food post-op??

Great to hear from you ladies...wishing you a positive weekend, with a SPEEDY healing of those incisions and that port!!

I have had some refried beans- I added salsa and some chicken broth, blended it, and then heated it in the microwave. Sounds a little yuck but it was good! And I am swearing by the Soups you can find in a box in the organic section of the grocery store. Or even better, the deli of our local safeway has fabulous "crab bisque" which is 170 calories for a cup. Greek yogurt has 14 grams of Protein and I find MUCH better than the Protein Shakes. I think I will never drink another Protein Shake as long as I live. Ick.

i feel pretty good today. Trying to keep my calories under 1200 but I am pretty hungry. At any rate- have a nice weekend. I'm headed to kid's baseball games and then to do a little shopping.

Best to everyone! Melissa

Melissa...this is GREAT NEWS!! And your little refried bean mix-up sounds FABULOUS!! I love just about anything with a Mexican ring to it!! YEA FOR YOU! So very encouraging.

And that you are up and about and going to baseball games and shopping....wow....its just so inspiring!!

Wishing you continued wellness! Can't wait to hear what you do next!!

I was banded on the 25th and struggling to get liquids down. I just feel grossed out or queazy about drinking anything other than sips of Water. I managed to get one Protein Drink down this a.m. (took over an hour) and forced myself to nurse a Protein smoothie for 2 hours (just to get one cup down). I tried to switch it up to chicken broth tonight and even that is not settling well. Physically, I don't feel bad but grossed out by liquids. :( I am hoping this is just a phase by being so restricted w/ the swelling, etc.

I haven't "been there" yet, Dawn, but do feel certain this IS just a phase. HANG IN THERE. It will get better...and hopefully SOON.

It is very helpful to hear what everyone is experiencing. Its all so different, person-to-person, but it helps to know what we MIGHT feel, and that we are "normal" in the healing process.

Keep doing whatever you can to stay hydrated, at least. I'm sure the other will come!!

Dawn, It will get better. Please keep us posted. You are in my prayers today!

thanks for the support... I am definitely having a "feeling sorry for myself" kind of day... I know it will pass and the encouragement helps. :)

Hi all,

I had my surg (band w/imbrication) this am. I was back home by noon, pleased w/that. Pain is under controll. Heating pad is working great. Biggest complaint is extremely sore/dry throat........if sipped warm tea, room temp water(since I was told to stay away from iced cold fluids now)

Any suggestions to help throat? Has anyone tried chloraseptic spray? And how long does the throat issue last?

I'm extremely glad surg is done, I'm looking forward to my new healthier lifestyle! Banded x 1 day! Yay! Whew who!

Hello....

My throat was dry and sore day of surgery but felt better the day after...I sucked on ice chips I am very glad that your pain is under control....walk walk walk....

I went for my post op appointment today....all is good given the go ahead to try different foods to see how my body takes...however my B12 is low and Iron is low...so I have to take supplements....

Well it's been 4 days since my surgery. I can eat pretty much anything because I have just the band no "fill" yet. My doctor has not put me on any restrictions but I have done that myself. The 1st few days I just didn't want to eat but now feel like I could eat the house! Having to take control of myself. Most of the soreness is gone but I itch terribly plus every bandage I have tried seems to break me out making it worse :(. I went on a short shopping trip with my girls today and did really well, I still have some major blooting so finding something to wear loose and comfortable is a challenge. My daughter told me I needed a better bra then she realized I was wearing one that is really to big just because all the others are very uncomfortable.

Hope you all are doing well!!

Linda,

So glad you are feeling better! And I agree a good bra is worth every penny. You're doctor said you can eat anything? So you're not restricted to liquid or mushy food? I am two weeks since surgery and I am not suppose to eat anything I have to chew. And I am dreaming of french fries and hamburgers! But I am loosing weight and feeling better already. Very best of luck to you. Keep up the good work.

Yep he said the first few days I should do soft but after could have whatever I felt comfortable with. I had grilled fish Mon night, 1st real food in two weeks and it was amazing. I did fine no problem at all. I think the hardest thing for me as far as eat/drink my doctor really does not want me to use low cal sweetners like sweet & low, spenda etc. I use crystal light a lot and was addicted to diet dr. pepper which of course is a no no so now I'm trying to find something to drink in my Water so far it looks like it's going to be lime, but I do miss the sweet.

Got my band yesterday AM; 23 hr stay at the hospital and slept most of it!!

Came home today.

Feeling pretty good, but for this "lump" I feel in my chest..sort of like something is stuck there (almost like an air bubble, or burp, that won't budge). It doesn't "hurt" exactly, but it is uncomfortable.

I am to stick pretty strictly to their outlined diet: Clear Liquids thru today, then "full liquids" starting tomorrow and for about a week, then soft/mushy for a week'ish, then 'real' food. I have read so many "opinions" on this, that I'm really being led to find my own way here...naturally we have to allow for a new passage-way for our foods to get thru, but like someone earlier stated, we have to see what works.

Today I did eat the broth from a can of minestrone -- I warmed the entire can but drained all the goodies out and SLOWLY ate/drank (with a spoon) the yummy tomato'y broth. And I'm sipping Water along the way, too. So, I guess I'm a day ahead on the "full liquids", but taking it VERY EASY. I, too, have dreamed of a burger and fries!! EASY, girl!! LOL

My surgery was alloted 90 minutes, but it was done in 50! The Doc said it went great...that my 2 weeks liquid diet paid off and the liver was completely cooperative. SO GLAD THAT IS OVER!!

Ready to be ME again, only smaller!!

I have significant belly-swelling, of course, and the incisions are tender (of course!), but thankfully I've had NO shoulder pain and no abdominal "pain" at all...just where the cuts are. I've managed our stairs, SLOWLY, tho getting up from sitting is no fun...

I was told to take it very easy today, do more tomorrow, and more on Friday. I can shower tomorrow, (yippee!) and drive by Saturday.

I will have a visit with the dietician on the 15th, then my first surgeon visit 2 weeks later. He said my first fill will depend on how I've been doing for this first month. If I am losing steadily, we'll wait. If not, we'll make the adjustment. So, I'm all fine w/ that. I think I am bound to lose at least a little, so that's exciting.

Linda had fish recently!?....that sounds so good, and I was actually thinking of that yesterday - in between sleeping!! I love grilled Mahi Mahi w/ rice....I can't wait!!

Anyway, here we go, laides! Let's do keep posting so we can continue rooting each other on. Be sure to track your losses, too! That's so encouraging...but don't be afraid to share your struggles and your "failures" -- we all know they will come, but they do NOT define us, nor do they have to derail our efforts! Still, getting it all out there is good for the spirit! AND likely we will each find that we're all struggling - or WILL struggle - with something similar along the way, and who better to hold our hands than those who are walking the same path???

Here's to our new selves!!

Any news out there, gals??

I am feeling kinda nauseated today...and trying to figure out if the 'pangs' I'm feeling are HUNGER or just discomfort?

What are you drinking for your FULL liquids? So far I've had Tomato Soup, about 1/4 of a Protein Shake (I just cannot get them down!), a Carnation Instant B'fast drink (about 6 oz), a low-cal fudge bar (about 2/3 of one; the rest went in the trash - too sweet). None of this is satisfying in the least. But I want to be so careful not to rush it...and with this lump still stuck in the middle, I don't dare.

Yesterday I blew it and at an entire WARM sugar cookie...a friend brought supper for my family and it included a pan of warm cookies....I ate one, SLOWLY, but felt like cra* right after. And today, I cringe to even think about putting a cookie in my mouth. Lesson learned.

I was VERY disappointed to step on my scale yesterday and see that it was down "0".... that is very discouraging. You know how you think that after all your hard work, sticking to THE PLAN, doing all the right things, and then to get "0" - what a blow that is? In the past, its been a major culprit to giving up. I think "what's the use?"... then proceed to eating everything in sight.

Well, lucky for me, this time that is not an option....so I just had to suck it up, believe that this will TAKE TIME and know that the lbs WILL come off, slow but sure.

Anyway, hoping each of you are feeling more and more like yourselves with each passing day...feeling empowered to keep pressing on, doing the right things for your body, and to keep your eyes on the prize - whatever that looks like for you. For me, I have a "little black dress" hanging in my closet...I likely won't get in to it until next summer, but I feel more confident than ever that I WILL get in it again!!! And won't that be somthing!!??

Blessings!

I was banded on July 10th....recovery has been easier than i thought. Although I am starving around dinner time only....and I don't get a fill until August 18th! I had 1.5cc when the surgeon put the band in! And I am having a heck of a time remembering to eat slow and chew and chew and chew....i have had a few stuck eposiodes lately with chicken and sweet potatoes....I ate to fast and didn't concentrate on slowing down and chewing - I think i was too hungry...my weight loss has slowed down - they would like me to eat 1000 calories and i am finding it difficult to get the 1000 calories in...but I am loving the weight loss that i have so far!!! Good luck Julys'!!!