Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does This Sound Ok???

I first want to thank everyone for all the support and love you show on here. I was banded 6/28 and I have leaned on this site SO much! I will be starting my puree phase on Thursday and I was wondering if these foods sound ok to eat then:

* mashed potatoes, baked potatoes

* mashed cooked carrots

* tuna fish

* chicken salad

* Peanut Butter

* green Beans

I know I am supposed to puree my food but I can't do it, I cannot handle drinking my tuna :wacko: so if I stick to these foods will I be ok??? or this considered cheating? I don't want to hurt myself, so that is why I am sticking to these soft foods!

The chicken and tuna salad, if you really make is small (puree means smooth) might be OK... No pickle relish in it... just tuna mushed up fine and mayo.< /p>

Same with the carrots... if they are cooked to the point of mush.

Peanut Butter.... well, it's pretty sticky, and as it goes down, it doesn't get much better. Even after 4 years, I eat it, but I have to take it in small bits because of it sticking on the way down. I would say that's a no-go during the puree stage.

If in doubt, put it into the blender.

While it's been a while, it seems the puree week was the worst of my post-op eating days... but Remember, it's just a week... you can handle it.

Well I don't have much advice for the pureed stage, because they put me on a purreed/soft stage instead of strickly pureed. I can tell you though, that I used the canned chicken and put it in the food processor for chicken salad and it was really good. It looked really creepy at first, pretty much a paste consistency, but it tasted exactly the same as the chunks! So I would suggest trying to puree the chicken especially for your chicken salad, because chicken is a tough food to have to sit there and chew forever lol! :)

I first want to thank everyone for all the support and love you show on here. I was banded 6/28 and I have leaned on this site SO much! I will be starting my puree phase on Thursday and I was wondering if these foods sound ok to eat then:

* mashed cooked carrots

* tuna fish

* chicken salad

* Peanut Butter

* green Beans

I know I am supposed to puree my food but I can't do it, I cannot handle drinking my tuna :wacko: so if I stick to these foods will I be ok??? or this considered cheating? I don't want to hurt myself, so that is why I am sticking to these soft foods!

sounds okay. but all drs are different. i was not allowed baked potatoes or Peanut Butter on my mushy/real soft foods.

also include sf applesauce, sf popsicles and sf pudding. just a little bit more and you will move on to different foods. stick to it the best you can. i lived on tuna w/ff mayo and refried Beans and (i didnt have chicken salad until 3 weeks post op so ask ur dr for specifics)

doing great. just keep hanging in there.

thanks for all the advice!!

I ate most of those foods on my "puree" stage. I have weird consistency issues eg, OJ with pulp, yogurt with fruit bits etc. I'm not saying my decision was the right decision you should always check with your surgeon. I looked in to other people's post op diets and figured I'd be relativly safe with a puree/soft food diet. i've been fine.

My nutritionist ok'd me for refried Beans with a lil liquid to thin them out, I add taco sauce, baked taters w/o skins, very scrambled eggs, runny grits, runny oatmeal, lots of creamy soups....

I did not have a mushie or puree stage in my diet plan. I went from liquids to "soft proteins" which included canned chicken and tuna, eggs, cottage cheese, greek yogurt, and white fish. My doc is big on low carb so I was never allowed potatoes, oatmeal, grits, applesauce, or cream of wheat; all my favorite foods!! :;

* mashed cooked carrots

* tuna fish

* chicken salad

* Peanut Butter

* green Beans

To puree something does not make it runny enough to drink, unless you add too much liquid to it for additional moisture. To puree something is only to make a softer paste, without the lumps which might be irritating to your new band.

My doctor specifically advised that peanut butter is a complex carb, and tends to rest heavy in the stomach. I was advised that it was a food to be totally avoided until at least 6 months post op.

The tuna can tend to be dry, and dry Proteins are not your friend...they tend to be great offenders of foods which get stuck. The tuna would be better tolerated if it was moistened with Mayonnaise, like chicken salad.

My doctor is also very low carb, and he advised that potatoes, especially white ones which tend to have less nutritional value are not listed on my approved foods list until after 6 months post op. Remember, for this stage, everything in the way of a vegetable needs to be overcooked...green Beans could be stringy. Broccoli or cauliflower florets seem to be better tolerated.

I was asked to weigh everything by it's nutritional value...if a food was lacking in nutrition, then it had to come off the list...which included all Soups (especially cream soups which tend to have empty calories).

Different doctors have some different instructions, and I would encourage you to discuss this list with your dietitian or surgeon.

Best wishes as your journey continues...

I did not have a mushie or puree stage in my diet plan. I went from liquids to "soft proteins" which included canned chicken and tuna, eggs, cottage cheese, greek yogurt, and white fish. My doc is big on low carb so I was never allowed potatoes, oatmeal, grits, applesauce, or cream of wheat; all my favorite foods!! :;

my dr is exactly the same. i'm on my second week of liquids right now post op. on sunday i move to the soft Proteins too. also a no carb dr... so no mashed potatoes or anything.

what did you have for the soft phase? i've been looking for someone with similar dr diet to ask! lol

To puree something does not make it runny enough to drink, unless you add too much liquid to it for additional moisture. To puree something is only to make a softer paste, without the lumps which might be irritating to your new band.

My doctor specifically advised that Peanut Butter is a complex carb, and tends to rest heavy in the stomach. I was advised that it was a food to be totally avoided until at least 6 months post op.

The tuna can tend to be dry, and dry Proteins are not your friend...they tend to be great offenders of foods which get stuck. The tuna would be better tolerated if it was moistened with Mayonnaise, like chicken salad.

My doctor is also very low carb, and he advised that potatoes, especially white ones which tend to have less nutritional value are not listed on my approved foods list until after 6 months post op. Remember, for this stage, everything in the way of a vegetable needs to be overcooked...green Beans could be stringy. Broccoli or cauliflower florets seem to be better tolerated.

I was asked to weigh everything by it's nutritional value...if a food was lacking in nutrition, then it had to come off the list...which included all Soups (especially cream Soups which tend to have empty calories).

Different doctors have some different instructions, and I would encourage you to discuss this list with your dietitian or surgeon.

Best wishes as your journey continues...

you also have the same type of post of diet as i did! low carb softs... what did you eat? i'm moving to softs (low carb) in a few days...

I practically lived on hummus in the puree stage, along with the smooth tofu (it has a yoghurt texture). My husband blended some chicken for me the first day I was allowed to have it, and it made us both gag. I just couldn't do that texture/smell combination.

my dr is exactly the same. i'm on my second week of liquids right now post op. on sunday i move to the soft Proteins too. also a no carb dr... so no mashed potatoes or anything.

what did you have for the soft phase? i've been looking for someone with similar dr diet to ask! lol

I tended to stay with basics and pureed everything except the scrambled eggs...scrambled eggs, tuna salad, chicken salad, turkey salad with lite mayo. For the carb choice, I stayed with mostly fruits, which appealed to me more. Strawberries, blueberries, honey dew melon, my favorite cantaloupe, and overcooked cauliflower and broccoli florets.

While my doctor is very low carb, there will be some foods in which carbs are naturally present...including fresh spinach leaves. I've been advised to avoid anything which has added sugar...naturally occurring sugars in fruits are totally in keeping with the diet, as long as the advised portion size is followed.

If you have never been a nutrition label reader, now is a great time to do so...you will be surprised at the amount of hidden carbs in many processed foods...I only shop the periphery of the grocery store...the meat, dairy, and produce sections.

Best wishes...

Banded on 6/28 also! My dr has me where I can have sf pudding and yougurt this week and then on Thursday I can start mushy foods so looking for ideas too. They told me I can have runny oatmeal and potatoes and such on the mush phase but after this they want me to start avoiding these. Some of the ideas the list they gave me say chili w/ turkey meat, poached or sauteed fish cooked, string cheese, cottage cheese, soft scrambled eggs, boiled eggs mashed, mashed pinto or black Beans, unsweet applesauce and mashed bananas. Any other ideas? Kinda scared of chicken salad/ tuna to start with just because seems like it might not be soft enough to go down unless I really mash it and use an exorbitant amount of mayo which will defeat the purpose....