Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Almost 4 months out, still no fill

Guest DanWood

Guest DanWood

Hello all-

I had my lap band done on 10/27/03, and have yet to get a fill. I have lost 60 lbs, and still have quite a bit of restriction. There are days when I can eat whatever I want, and days where I can eat very little. Has anyone else passed on the fills thorugh 4 months or more? I'm beginning to wonder if I will ever need one!! Thanks.

363/303/219

Hi Dan -

Congrats on your wonderful weightloss! You may be one of the lucky few who never needs a fill, or doesn't need one for a long long time. There are people like that, just not very many.

If you're losing, you sure as heck don't need one! :rolleyes:

I had only one fill and as with you , my restriction fluctuates daily. I dont think will need another fill either. I will try to keep up the weightloss by excersice and eating healthy.

But it's still good to know that if that don't work I can always get another fill!

That's excellent Dan!

I'm hoping to be in the same boat. I'm four weeks post op and feel pretty restricted all the time. Getting enough Water is whats hard for me.

I'm curious, are you excercising? How have you changed your eating habbits? Hope you don't mind the personal questions...I'm just really uneasy about the fills and would like to delay it as long as possible.

j

Dan,

Just wanted to let you know that evryone of us is different. Some of us need 4 fills (me) and some of us need none. There is a guy in one of my support groups that I know personally and he hasn't had any fills and has lost 130 in the first year. Just keep doing what you are doing.

Guest DanWood

Hi Jean!!

I am exercising 3 mornings and 2 nights a week. I do 45 minutes of cardiovascular at the gym and I play volleyball and basketball at my church. I can eat just about anything, except bread, which I can't get through to my lower stomach very easily. With my exercise regimen, I would be losing weight without the band, just not nearly as much. I have always tried to emphasize that the band is a tool to help you lose weight. An exercise regimen is also a key to weight loss. I hope this helps!!

363/293/219

70 lbs. down!! 4 1/2 months out!!

Congrulations on your weight loss and not having to be filled.

I myself had surgery on 12/29/03 with Dr Oldham and on 3/19/04 i will be going in for my 4th fill so you are very lucky person.

Its kind on neat that we both had the same surgery at the same place good luck with your journay. I have only lost 16Lbs but its because i haven't been totally doing what i am suppose to. I keep waiting for the fills to do everthing. Sorry to keep going on and on.

Patty

Guest DanWood

Hi Patty-

Don't get discouraged!! 16 lbs. is a good start!! Remember that the band is a tool for us to lose weight. It keeps us in check as to what we eat. Protein has to be first!! Now that spring is here, it may be a good time to start an outside exercise regimen. Go outside and work in the yard, or walk around your property or neighborhood. You would be surprised how quickly adding some kind of exercise can help you to lose. I used to walk my dogs everyday, but got away from it. Now that I am doing it again, I feel great, and my dogs are happier!!

The weight will come off. Just be patient and don't get discouraged. The 16 lbs. you have lost are gone for good. Every next lb. you lose will be gone forever. I just recently got out of the 300's in the past week. I will never see my scales get to 300 lbs. again!! Everyone one of us will lose differently. I have lost 70 lbs. in 4 1/2 months, but I still look with envy to the folks who had the bypass the same day and have lost 100 lbs or more. I think a better way to measure your weight loss is to have mini goals to achieve for yourself, instead of trying to compare yourself with other people who are losing at a different rate.

Patty, I am sure that you will be successful in achieving your weight loss goals. Anyone who has the courage to admit they need help to lose, research surgeries and doctors, and finally go through with a surgery has already done the hard part. Stay positive!! You WILL use this tool to become a healthier, happier person!! I know that I will see you at one of the future informational seminars giving your story on how to use this tool to lose weight!! When you do, let me know, and I will get a front row seat!!

And you thought that you went on and on!! Good luck and God Bless!!

Dan