Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am in a tunnel/help

I am new and thinking to get banded soon. I have been researching and reading your comments meanwhile my sub concience mind is telling me "do not worry to stay on a diet now because when you get the band it will come off" and I am gaining lbs as we speak....

I am applying to get a loan for the surgery and this may take time. I feel I am in a tunnel and can't stop thinking. I need to follow a diet either way but since I am looking at surgery, I have been gaining weight.

Any suggestions?

Keep in mind that the more you gain now, the more you have to lose then. :)

I was "dieting" during my entire research phase. I figured - it was a headstart in case I didn't go with the band. After I had my date set, I ate pretty much whatever I wanted.

I guess my advice would be - don't count on the band being the end-all cure. With the band you still have to diet, even more strictly (IMSE) than without, because you will have strict diet phases that have to be obeyed in order for you to heal... and even after you're healed, there are bound to be some foods you just won't tolerate very well. Keep yourself as healthy as you can, especially if you're unhealthy (comorbs) now.

I have a suggestion. Relax. :) Pick one thing that you can give up that will help you. If you drink a lot of pop, perhaps that would be a good place to start. Keep in mind that you are already on your journey. Perhaps it will help you be more excited about where you're going rather than being stressed about where you are. Chances are, the doc will put you on a pre-op diet that will help you drop a good chunk of weight in a few weeks time.

Your goal right now should be to relax, make sensible choices, get some exercise in.. perhaps walk a bit, and don't gain more weight to take off later. The better shape you're in when you have your surgery, the quicker you'll recover. Start researching the types of foods you'll be eating after you're banded. And maybe try to incorporate some of them in your food choices now. You'll be fine.

I think we panic about the idea of stepping through the doors of deprivation, so we start eating everything we can before its taken away. It's really not like that at all. So really, relax and get happy about the fact that you are on your way!

I have a suggestion. Relax. :) Pick one thing that you can give up that will help you. If you drink a lot of pop, perhaps that would be a good place to start. Keep in mind that you are already on your journey. Perhaps it will help you be more excited about where you're going rather than being stressed about where you are. Chances are, the doc will put you on a pre-op diet that will help you drop a good chunk of weight in a few weeks time.

Your goal right now should be to relax, make sensible choices, get some exercise in.. perhaps walk a bit, and don't gain more weight to take off later. The better shape you're in when you have your surgery, the quicker you'll recover. Start researching the types of foods you'll be eating after you're banded. And maybe try to incorporate some of them in your food choices now. You'll be fine.

I think we panic about the idea of stepping through the doors of deprivation, so we start eating everything we can before its taken away. It's really not like that at all. So really, relax and get happy about the fact that you are on your way!

Thank you all,

yes I will relax and do some excercise.

Is a good idea to put my mind in a winning state....thanks.

The doctors will put you on a pre op diet? Ohh I did not read that anywhers,

may be need to read more.

I understand that with the band I will be dieting even harder but I will probably get sick if I over eat and then will learn to lisen my body...is a BIG lesson, right?

BTW, I am real excited!!!!!!!

The doctors will put you on a pre op diet? Ohh I did not read that anywhers,

may be need to read more.

Most doctors put you on a pre-op diet, for different lengths of time, and consisting of different foods. My surgeon had a 2 day pre-op diet of clear, sugar free liquids including popsicles, juices, Jell-O, etc. I've heard of pre-op diets as much as a month out, and I've heard of them being much more relaxed.

The pre-op diet is mostly for your liver. The liver stores sugars (long story short), and rests on the area where they're putting the band. By depleting the sugars from your diet, your liver will expunge and decrease in size, allowing easier & safer access to put the band in place.

Then there's a phased post-op diet. Mine was liquids for 4 days, then cream Soups & yogurt until day 7. Weeks 2 & 3 (where I am now) are mushies, including canned fruits, canned tuna or chicken w/ mayo, deli chicken or turkey, cottage cheese, refriend Beans, tofu, etc.

cibertalk, stay plugged in to LBT, we will help you every step of the way, just yell loud through the din of new threads, okay? Some docs don't require a pre-op diet. If your BMI is pretty high, they usually want you to do a liquid liver-shrinking diet. Just ask your doc and follow those directions. Hang on, don't fall off the deep end yet and try to eat your way out of a self-imposed hole. You WILL be able to enjoy foods again. Yep, it's different, but don't panic. ((((hugs))))

cibertalk, stay plugged in to LBT, we will help you every step of the way, just yell loud through the din of new threads, okay? Some docs don't require a pre-op diet. If your BMI is pretty high, they usually want you to do a liquid liver-shrinking diet. Just ask your doc and follow those directions. Hang on, don't fall off the deep end yet and try to eat your way out of a self-imposed hole. You WILL be able to enjoy foods again. Yep, it's different, but don't panic. ((((hugs))))

thank you thank you!!!!!

will keep plugged here. You all different strengths and experiences.

Now that I am thinking...may be my sub concience was panicking....

well, I feel better now.

will let you know my surgery date soon, still dealing to choose doctor and money....

Thanks again.

:) I went through the same thing... I think it is a normal emotional response, although it feels like we are going nutty. I think the others are right... try and relax, meditate, journal... don't stress yourself out even more. Do some light exercises and then some streching... Good luck :)

I'm in a similar position as you CrazyCiberTalk. I have finally made up my mind to be banded, but have had doubts along the way - I think everyone must go through the same thing. :)

I sometimes wake in the middle of the night & think OMG what am I doing, I'll never be 'normal' again, and maybe I should try yet another diet/drug/meal replacement plan just once more, just in case I can really do it this time. I also think about all the food I may not be able to eat again. But this also makes me realise how much I obsess over food, and how much it controls my life - I Don't Want To Feel Like This Anymore !!!!!!

So ..... I have an appointment with a surgeon for Monday morning, and hopefully will only need to wait 5-6 weeks after that to be banded. I'm very excited, and looking forward to taking back control of my life again! ;-)

I have been surfing the net for a while now, and have found a lot of useful information by asking questions of people that have already had the procedure done, on forums such as this one - they are the best place to get your questions answered up-front & honestly. These message boards are the absolute best for supporting each other, and for answering any questions/issues you have.

(I have actually been 'lurking' around this forum for a while, reading the posts & all the useful information that's here, but have only joined recently, so this is my first 'post').

Good Luck with whatever you decide. :gluck:

the first surgeon I saw told me to go away and lose 80lbs before the op !! so the second surgeon I saw told me to "just eat sensibly two weeks before the op" my kind of guy, so I tried my best to eat sensibly and lost 7lbs a mere drop in an ocean of 420lbs, the night before the op I saw him, and intended to then go on an eating spree. but he told me "please dont eat a lot tonight" *sigh

I knew, through research and speaking to successfull bandsters that the moment I woke up from the surgery I was going to be on a diet.

I was terrifed, I wouldnt be able to do it, I would waste all that cash and Id be fat forever, after all, how many diets had I tried, and how many times had I failed.

IF you diet when youve had the band it will work, and you wont be able to believe how much easier it is with the band than without it. You will have days when you eat chocolate and all the wrong stuff, but you will have many more days when you wont--- and wont even want them.

you know those magazines that promise you you will lose 10lbs in a week if you stick to their diet? and it goes something like this

Breakfast 1 0z of Cereal 1/4 pt of skim milk black coffee

lunch 20z chicken breast skinned a Tomato black coffee

dinner 4 oz steamed fish 4 oz broccoli black coffee

well, I used to look at those diets and think OMG I would never live on that I'd die of starvation.

Nowadays I look at those magazines and their diets and I think

OMG ALL THAT food IN ONE DAY !! HOW DISGUSTING IS THAT

HA HA HA HA

every story is different. i was not put on a pre-op diet. of course i followed my doc's instructions for the month after surgery to a t. i did not deviate at all. this is important for healing and for weight loss.

i agree with the best me...THIS IS A TOOL NOT A CURE ALL. i still have head cravings even when i am not hungry at all. don't think the band will take all your food issues away because you will be disapointed. there are many folks i have met here that have lost very little weight due to different circumstances.

with that said, i am so happy i did this for myself. i have not felt this good in years!!

good luck the "soon to be banded!!!"

I totally agree, I have a friend whos weight problem was mainly caused by drinking wine each night (a bottle) then going onto the vodkas and lemonades before bed time. She had the band and at first lost well, but after a month or so she went back to her drinking and in a year hasnt lost an ounce, so now she blames the band and is going for the r n y hoping that will work, well it wont because she simply cant stop the drinking and taking in all those calories.

I totally agree, I have a friend whos weight problem was mainly caused by drinking wine each night (a bottle) then going onto the vodkas and lemonades before bed time. She had the band and at first lost well, but after a month or so she went back to her drinking and in a year hasnt lost an ounce, so now she blames the band and is going for the r n y hoping that will work, well it wont because she simply cant stop the drinking and taking in all those calories.

Well I think your friend should gone to Alcoholic Anonymous!. Lot of women that join the AA, lose weight when they stop drinking.

If you eat high calories shakes ,ice creams and alcohol drinks, that goes directly to your big stomach ( Dr.s words) and does not fill your small pouch.

I know that I eat many times, in responce to stress, then I put large pieces in my mouse without even noticing that I did that, uncontrollably sneeks in....well with the band, I think I will have "a real sign" and will be able to stop and realize what I am doing. Hope to correct that problem without starting to smoke again or bitting my nails.....may have to find other solution.

I have finally made up my mind to be banded, but have had doubts along the way - I think everyone must go through the same thing. :)

I sometimes wake in the middle of the night & think OMG what am I doing, I'll never be 'normal' again, and maybe I should try yet another diet/drug/meal replacement plan just once more, just in case I can really do it this time. I also think about all the food I may not be able to eat again. But this also makes me realise how much I obsess over food, and how much it controls my life - I Don't Want To Feel Like This Anymore !!!!!!

(I have actually been 'lurking' around this forum for a while, reading the posts & all the useful information that's here, but have only joined recently, so this is my first 'post').

Heyas Heth! I'm glad you came out of Lurkdom and decided to join us. Welcome! :)

And you sound exactly like everyone else who's decided to get banded! Isn't that great?! You're perfectly normal! And guess what? You will be after banding too! Only then you'll be normal as in eating like the "normal" folks do, rather than overeating and being unhappy with the results.

Tilly's post was so funny about the weightloss menu. So, so true, Tilly! LOL

I wasn't on any kind of pre-op diet. Thank god! I felt like such a failure at losing weight as it was never mind lose it before surgery LOL

I could not stop eating two weeks before surgery. Eating All my favorite foods... my husband even worried that I might fail because I couldn't stop eating..... well, it all worked out ok. I have kind of lost a lot of the compulsion I had for food. No to say it is all gone, but I am working on it.

Amazing! I get a craving and usually have a bottle of Water and it goes away. I am in love with my friend "the Band".

Good luck... it will be fine... just keep signing on, reading and researching.