Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

To Fill or Not to Fill?

Yeah.. but, but, but...

How in the world will I eat enough if I'm tighter? I seriously feel like I eat a lot and rarely get over 800 calories in per day. Got any suggestions?

I'm now at 2.2 cc in a 4.0 band. When I had my second fill to 2.0 - it took me about 2 weeks to be able to eat more than 3 bites at a sitting. FRUSTRATING! Then once it loosened a bit, I was losing weight and not terribly hungry a lot of the time. What I noticed when I was filled to the right level was that I heard slight gurgling after drinking anything. If I drink something cold - I can feel it stop slightly in the top pouch and then empty in to the bottom stomach. I do need something warm or red wine once in a while to loosen it for hard Proteins but that is not every day. My doctor was pleased with my overall results and we just did a slight fill to help with the hunger this last time. So to me, when the hunger starts becoming overwhelming - that is when I need a fill.

ok, I just have to say, I love you for posting this question Kim.. I too as you know was banded in January. Had my first fill the end of Feb. There are days when I actually forget to eat...and days like my Taco Bell indulgence yesterday...could eat everything in sight. And I did. I don't get it.

Should I keep my appt. for the 30th? I can gulp my Water still too by the way. Can't stand the thought of eating in the morning and force my self (sometimes) to eat lunch and I don't have a problem with dinner at the moment. I know, even though I'm not counting, I am not getting in 1200 or even 1000 cals at this point.

Hey Kiddos!

Thanks for all the posts. I was so surprised when I came home and checked in tonight! Ok, I feel so much better now about going in for a fill in the morning! Wish it wasn't morning because like Kim (Kennedy), I'm full in the morning! I'll get up really early and drink a cup of coffee. That should help.

Top things said here that make me feel like I could use a fill:

1. I heard slight gurgling after drinking anything. If I drink something cold - I can feel it stop slightly in the top pouch and then empty in to the bottom stomach. (martinigirl) - never heard gurgling, never felt the emptying from one part to another.

2. I never get hungry (tilly) - ummmm, yes, I do.

3. You cant eat a lot, maybe a side plate of food, cant eat bread (most people cant anyway) and are very full afte a very small amount of food, say a weight watchers microwave meal or a tin of Soup. (tilly) - Ok, so I ate a taco salad for lunch and polished that off including the entire big ole shell thing that it was sitting in.

4. cant eat bread (most people cant anyway) (tilly) - I can eat bread, I can eat pizza.... I had a little trouble with a bagel and cream cheese. Last night I ate a turkey sandwich on white bread with no probs.

5. if you are fighting with the same 2 pounds, then it is time for another fill. (marebear) - I am for sure.

6. I've always been able to eat more than a cup full of salad or chili. As for beef or chicken, only a bite or two and slimeville. (harleynana) - thanks so much for this! It's exactly my problem.... I can eat lots - just not certain things.

Brenda - I am more than happy to share the thread!

Heres hoping we both give up on breads by the end of March.
I'll drink to that! Although a teeny little part of me feels very sad about that! :nervous

Sus & Kim - I think it sounds like you guys are doing great! Sus - you probably shouldn't be hungry every three hours it sounds like, but geez - if you two aren't even hitting 1200 calories a day, why fix something that ain't broke?

Thanks again for the feedback!

Kim

YAY!!! Congrats on the fill Kim! Feeling good?

I'll be gurgling soon, my fill is scheduled for Monday! Woo Hoo! Found a local-ish doc who only charges $250 for the first and $200 for subsequent fills. Going to post this discovery on my local page. I was so excited I got the receptionist laughing. One more for the road... Woo Hoo!!

I have not been on in a long time so let me know what you all think. I have really good days and really bad days where i can eat and when I throw up. I had my surgery Aug 28 and have lost about 54 pounds. I only have 1.5cc in my band. I was told by someone to drink something hot before I eat and it will help a lot. I have tea and Soups before I eat to help. I lose about ten pounds and then even off for a week or so. I have a friend that is worried about me throwing up so much. i need some input. Should I call me Doc about this since it dose happend about every three of four day and I cant figure out why or what I am doing diffrent. Part of me want to get another fill but wonder if I can handle. Sorry if this sound like I am rambling but the thoguhts keep coming. Please let me know you thoughts and ideas or experinces to help me. I also workout more latley kickboxing and yoga. I do feel great and like the way I am looking.

Does this happen at different hours of the day? Or just in the mornings?

It's not good to be throwing up so much. You could be doing yourself some longterm harm. I'd say call your doctor and see what they think. However, if it's just a morning thing.. it might just be the typical morning tightness that so many feel and you may have to resort to a Protein shake in the mornings. I'd need to hear more specifics before I could give more suggestions.

Quote Morsaille:

I'll be gurgling soon, my fill is scheduled for Monday! Woo Hoo! Found a local-ish doc who only charges $250 for the first and $200 for subsequent fills. Going to post this discovery on my local page. I was so excited I got the receptionist laughing. One more for the road... Woo Hoo!!

Brenda - Yea! Glad you found someone local and not at a terrible price! Yes, I'm feeling OK. Kind of strange though. I have eaten 1/2 cup of Soup and 1 Protein shake today and I feel like I gorged on Thanksgiving dinner (even when I'm not eating). Feels a little uncomfortable... strange anyway.

Sharilynn - your weight loss seems optimal. I don't know about the throwing up thing - that doesn't sound so good. I know for sure that if I eat something weird - like triscuits last night for instance, I thought I was going to throw up - horrible golf ball - felt horrible. But then again I downed a whole taco salad including the shell for lunch yesterday. Maybe it's particular foods you are having a problem with?

I want out for sushi with my girlfriend and had to run to the bathroon. I also had hot tea and Soup before to help with lossening the band. When I go by myself I do just fine. My friend wanted me to go to one of those brazilian resturants for dinner but I am to afraid the its 45 dollars for the meal and I cant eat that much and what if I cant handle it. DO you have problems if you dont eat breakfast in the morning for the rest of the day?

I have a Protein Shake every morning for breakfast. I've only skipped breakfast twice since banding - very strange for me because I never ate breakfast before. So, I really can't comment on whether or not that would cause me a problem. My problems happen mostly when I eat dense foods (like Bagels, dry chicken, etc.)

Sharilynn- If you don't have issues eating alone, but PB when you dine with company, maybe it's your focus. I know if I am putting my attention anywhere other than my mouth while I am eating, I am much more likely to take bigger bites or swallow too early. I just haven't mastered it yet. It could just be the old culprits taking advantage of you when you are distracted.

Maybe you are constantly irritated from the vomitting... Have you taken a couple days off from solids?

All review I am sure, but food for thought?

Brenda