Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

To Fill or Not to Fill?

Hi -

Just looking for a little feedback....

I was banded in January. I had my first fill (1cc) a month ago. Since that time, I've been able to eat well over the standard 3/4 - 1C meal. I don't really get a "full" feeling like I've heard of. Not really hungry, but definitely nothing telling me not to eat another bite.

I can eat most breads, rice and meat with no problem for the most part. I have problems with dry meats (like plain grilled chicken) or like today I had a bagel and did get the golfball and accompanying slime. I feel like I chew very, very well but these things will generally cause me to have the golfball.

Here's my question.... I'm scheduled for a fill on Wednesday. I want to know if the golfball feeling with the bagel and dry meats means that I don't need a fill. The last thing I want is to get too tight of a fill and be sick. However, as I said, I can eat way more than the suggested portion size.

I have been fighting with the same couple of pounds now for about 2.5 weeks. Any help is appreciated to help me make a more informed decision.... to fill or not to fill.

ME TOO KIM!!!!

I get a golfball about once a week and "restriction" about twice per week. I am following every rule with the exception of quantity consumed.

Very eager to see someone reply to this. I am in the exact same boat right now so hand me an oar.

Thanks Brenda -

Hard thing to figure out! I'm really not sure if "this is it" or not. I'm thinking NO, but really don't want to go get that fill and then be sick. Hopefully we'll hear something! Take Care.... Kim

Heya Kimmers and Meme..

I was banded in Jan too and I've only had one fill, about three weeks ago. I didn't think I was going to need a fill but after asking me the following questions, the doc decided I did and gave me 1cc:

1. What are you eating? (most any healthy food - no breads)

2. How much can you eat at one time? (3/4 to 1C)

3. How often do you get hungry? (Every 3 hours on the dot!)

He said the goal was for me to only be hungry every 4 hours.

I've only had one semi-problem while eating chicken. And that was before the fill. I was just eating too fast and the meat was a bit dry. I felt the golfball and stopped eating it. I've read about a lot of folks just staying away from certain meats and almost all breads. Seems to me this is typical and not a true indicator of restriction. I can certainly understand your hesitation about being filled when you don't need it. I don't want to have to deal with that either. I am still getting hungry every 3 hours, on most days, and I think I can eat too much still (but to be honest, thats when I'm drinking with the meal - shame on me), so I'll probably ask for a very small increase. Perhaps .5cc.

PS - after thinking about this more, I've come back to add...

I think I should really evaluate my eating habits before I make the decision about more fills. I don't always eat my Protein first. I haven't broken my habit of drinking with meals yet. I rarely eat more than 800 calories a day, yesterday was under 700. I'm losing an average of 2 pounds per week. Why would I think I need a fill? LOL I think I'm going to sit where I am for a while.

Thanks Kim! Looking forward to reading LOTS of responses. Thanks for the post P'nut. Here's hoping I'm not a Turtle (not that there is anything wrong with Turtles, they are the most wonderful people on here!!)

Kinda bummed that I have gained two pounds (hopefully muscle) after all the gardening and moving my treadmill into the living room. My diabolical plan ~ exposed...

Sus - thanks! If you're losing that much per week and not hitting your 1000-1200 then absolutely - don't do it! You are doing sooooo good. I write my weight on the calendar every day and I'm so tired of writing 192, 191.5, 191, 192, 192.5, 191.5, etc., etc.... I've been doing this for almost 3 weeks.

I can not get the scale to budge. My body does NOT want me to be in the 180's!

Brenda - LOL on moving the treadmill! I am sure that's muscle weight! ;-) Went to work out tonight (yikes!) with someone on LBT and they said that they thought there was a difference between "full" and "stuck". If you can eat more than you're supposed to, then you can probably use a fill. In other words, stuck is not necessarily synonymous with full. I can eat WAY more than I'm supposed to --- so I'm keeping my appt on Wednesday I guess. I'll let you know how it goes.

Definitely let me know how it goes! :gluck: I will schedule one soon and then we will both be back on track. If I wanted to be able to eat as much as I wanted, whenever I wanted, I would never have been banded. :doh:

Morsaille, boy did that last line hit home. I'm scheduling a fill today. Keep in mind I've always been able to eat more than a cup full of salad or chili. As for beef or chicken, only a bite or two and slimeville.

Kim,

I think that if you are fighting with the same 2 pounds, then it is time for another fill. I had my second fill on March 8 and they did not fill me so much that I got sick. Talk to your doctor's nurse and get her opinion.

Mary

sounds to me like you need a fill. when your at the right level you cant eat a lot, maybe a side plate of food, cant eat bread (most people cant anyway) and are very full afte a very small amount of food, say a weight watchers microwave meal or a tin of Soup.

a good way Ive found to tell if my fill is fine is to take a good gulp of Water or coffee and if you burp right away or you can feel it taking its time going down then your usually ok.

Thanks ladies for the posts, thanks to Tilly for the real life guidelines. This will be really useful for me. I am just worried about mornings. The only time I have restriciton is in the AM. If I get a fill, will I be "sealed" until 3 pm or is this just paranoia? Nevermind, I can do AM shakes like everyone else. I prefer 'em to Breakfast anyway. Luck on your fill tomorrow Kim. Heres hoping we both give up on breads by the end of March. And thanks for letting me share your thread.

I think you're right Kimmers. Sounds like you need that extra restriction.

Everyone who's getting a fill .. let us know how it goes ok? I have a scheduled follow up with my doc next Tuesday and I just know he's going to say I need another adjustment. But I don't want one. Isn't it ok to be hungry every 3 hours if you're not even getting in 1,000 a day?? *sighs* I do NOT want to be overfilled darnit.

nooo you wont be sealed at all, lol, dont worry, most of us experience the tighter band in the morning than the evening, I drink an ice cold glass of Water, that seems to tighten it up,

once you have proper restriction you will learn what you can and cannot eat, unfornunately this is a trial and error process but if you stick to only eating what you can break with the side of your fork till you get used to it.

I asked my surgeon what this tighter band in the morning meant and he didnt have a clue, he said its just a quirk of the band. so hey ho !!

you will also find that you have good restriction one day and not so much the next so bear with it for a few days or even a couple of weeks after your fill and it will kick in properly.

you will know about it if your ever "sealed" it happened to my friend, she thought the Water had gone down that they gave her to drink and off we went. 100 miles later she was burping and couldnt swallow her own saliva without bringing it back up, so turned around and went back by which time she was extremely distressed and de-hydrated as it was about 6 hrs since her fill and couldnt even swallow a tiny drop. she tried coffee and PBd badly. the look of releif on her face when he did a quick un-fill was a sight to behold. so no, you are never sealed unless it is a complete seal and you need some taken out. always make sure the water has gone away before you leave the doctors office and make sure it isnt running away too fast either.

it sounds complicated but you soon get the hang of it lol

good luck

Photonut, no you shuoldnt be hungry every three hours if your filled right, in fact Ive found once Im filled right, I never ever get hungry, peckish yes, head hunger yes, you know when you fancy a steak and all the trimmings but know darned well you cant have one lol

but as for being hungry every three hours the only time ive been like that was when I needed a fill and could eat faster, eat more and wanted more food more often.

but if your only eating 800 cals a day and are losing 2lbs a week steadily, your doing fine - marvellous in fact. its sometimes difficult to stay at 800 cals even with tight restriction as the rubbish goes down a treat doesnt it. like Cookies and candy and chocolate. you sound like your doing ok but you still shuoldnt be hungry --are you hungry?, tum growling etc. that could well be because your eating AND drinking at the same time, so your pouch isnt staying full, your washing away the food much faster than without a drink