Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

would you be the 1st lapband patient?

Guest Tina

Guest Tina

Hi,

I'm back and need your input. I just got back from a seminar and the Dr. is nice and is highly recommended as a surgeon. He has done about 200 RNYs and is still looking for his first lapband patient witch would be me if I do this with him. He has done 2 lapbands. Yikes! he told me that it was a much easier surgery and that I would be fine. He is willing to work at getting the cost down and the fills would be good for a year.

I would be the only lapbander with RNYs. I do have a friend that had the gastric that would be there. I just don't know if I'm brave enough to be the first one!

this Dr. is 2 hr. away. (the closes one)

Or I could go to Mexico and get follow up care and pay 195.00 a fill but have to dive a good 7hr.

What if something goes wrong would I get there in time. Or what if my fill isn't right and I need more or some taken out. How do you find time and extra money to go.

I don't know what to do. I thought I would feel better after the seminar and have my answers but I'm just as confused as ever on what to do.

Thank you for letting me whine to all of you.

Tina

(The closes Dr. won't take me if I go to Mexico)

Hi Tina,

If I were in your shoes I'd probably go ahead and be the guinea pig. Self-paying and traveling to Mexico just weren't things I was going to be able to do, so if this were my only choice I'd have jumped on it. Someone has to go early, after all.

Presumably the doctor will have supervision and proctors, right? He's been trained by Inamed or whoever and is experienced with other kinds of lap surgery? I probably wouldn't want to be someone's first lap surgical patient, but if he's used to that type of procedure that's probably the most important thing.

JMO.

Hi Tina,

Yes, I would consider being a surgeon's first lap-band patient depending on the situation. Will this doctor be willing to learn about and provide you with the proper aftercare- or is he going to treat you like another bypass patient? If he does not provide you with good aftercare, will you be able or willing to find out what you need and find a way to get it?

I think that the follow-up care is more important than the actual placement of the band.

Melissa

Now, NO.

Originally, I didn't even want to be the thirtieth, so I went to Mexico. At one time, I might have considered it. And I'd certainly rather be the first, second or third (while he has the proctor at his side) than the eleventh (when he's on his own.) But the more I learn, no.

BECAUSE, the longer I'm around, the more I see it's all about follow-up. What's his idea for scheduling adjustments? When, in his opinion, do you need a fill? Is he following the more experienced (and mostly foreign) doctors who provide individual follow-up, or might you end up being one of those people who will need 2.7 cc's before there is restriction, stuck with a doctor who won't do a first fill for two months and only does 0.5 cc incremental fills on the first Tuesday of each month (and your two months was up on the first Wednesday), so that you end up being eight to ten months post-op before the band starts working for you? A doctor who has done only RnY's has no basis to judge my progress. And no experience with fills, and getting into radiology for flouroscopy for one patient could be a hassle. I won't lose as fast as RnY patients, I don't have the same dietary considerations post-op, and I certainly don't want to have to jump through the same hoops, pre- or post-op. In addition, the "learning curve" on the band is 30-50 placements. And ALL of the surgeons who place the band are experienced laporoscopic surgeons, but they STILL need BAND experience* before their patients are more successful...especially if we're talking MY money.

That said, where--generally speaking--do you live?

Sue

*when I write that kind of thing, someone usually writes that they were the first, or third patient and had no problems. But I'm talking about the documented research which shows that, on average, patients have fewer complications when the doctor has more band-placement experience.

Being an FDA trial guinea pig myself- for the Swedish Band- I'd say go for it...with one BIG question- that Sue actually brought up. I'd want to know what his follow up care was going to be like. I think the surgery is a breeze- he is a surgeon..it's not like it's some guy who took up installing lap bands for some cash on the side.

I think the real success comes with the level of follow up...does he *really* understand that it's all about adjusting the band to YOU- not to some set protocol?

I feel proud that I am paving the way for other patients to have the Swedish Band placed some day. I'm sure I'll struggle a bit more with it than they will as the company and my surgeon learns along the way- but what I gift I can give other obese people in the future.

Let us know what you decide...I can certainly hear the pros and cons running around in your head over and over and over again!

Megan

I don't know about being a test case. I had my surgery in Mexico and had asked my doctor to video tape the procedure. After viewing the tape I realized what a delicate art this really is. He could have punctured any organ and caused a lot of damage. It was like watching an artist and his paint brush, as I watched him manuver the instruments inside my body. I could see my heart beat from the camera position and thought he was so close and had he not have over 1000 surgeries under his belt, he may have done some damage.

I always say better safe than sorry.

Sorry if I am not supportive but I just think you have one body and one life, try to be safe with it.

Good Luck in what ever decision you make,

Mary

Guest Tina

Thank you all for replying so fast. I'm sorry to say I still do not know what to do.

Sue, I live in northern part of Idaho the Dr. is in Coeur d' Alene.

2hrs. or I could go to Seattle for follow up care after going to Mexico. I have to small children in school so its not easy to just leave on a 7hr trip.

I don't know of any one who has the lapband here.

If anybody has any more advise I will take it. You all gave me things to think about.

Sue thank you for the article. It freak my husband out a little.

Tina

I was # 5 for my doctor.He was a surgeon so the actual procedure part did not concern me.I do have some problems with the after care just because I was not original very informed on fills(until I found this place!!) and when to get them.I waited over one year for first fill and he was not concerned that i was not losing.Keeps stressing nutrition and exercise(if that worked for me I would not need the band!I have had two fills in the past 5 months going for another in next few weeks.He is 2 hours away and e-mails me

or I can e-mail him for any questions or appointements.

I would say i am pleased because I have my band and once I do have restriction I will be on my way!!!

Good luck,

C

Guest clterrills

I am going to be the first lap-band patient for my Dr. He has been tranined by the company that makes the lap-band and has over 15 years of surgery experience. He will have a proctor present and a rep from the company. He regulary does RNY and other laproscopic surgerys. I feel very comfortable with him to do my surgery. I am just waiting for insurance approval. I am not holding my breath but if I am denied I am planning to fight until I win. Lisa