Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I just wanted to post this for all of you who've had complications from your band. I was banded in 2008 and doing 'okay' until late 2011. By 'okay' I mean that I had lost about 100 lbs and sitting on a plateau for over a year. Mid-year 2011 I began experiencing pains in my upper stomach after I'd eaten. Pain got worse so I started to eliminate certain foods from my diet. By September 2011 I was on an all-liquid diet and barely able to walk upright.

I know now that I have a high tolerance to pain because I'd put up with this for over 3 months, but come October I'd had enough and went into the ER. The next day they did an endoscopy and found the band was over 80% inside my stomach and 5 days later the band was out. Btw, the same surgeon who banded me in 2008 was the same surgeon who took it out. He advised me that he no longer performs banding due to the sheer number of complications from not only his patients but those of his colleagues.

So basically I'm posting this because I wanted to not only share my story but I'd also like to hear from you ex-bandsters about your experiences. And if you have absolutely no problems with your band and think band erosion is a myth or caused by my failure to use it as a tool, you've evidently wandered here by mistake & please don't leave any snarky comments. Thank You.

I'm curious.......Do they know what causes band erosion?

I just wanted to post this for all of you who've had complications from your band. I was banded in 2008 and doing 'okay' until late 2011. By 'okay' I mean that I had lost about 100 lbs and sitting on a plateau for over a year. Mid-year 2011 I began experiencing pains in my upper stomach after I'd eaten. Pain got worse so I started to eliminate certain foods from my diet. By September 2011 I was on an all-liquid diet and barely able to walk upright.

I know now that I have a high tolerance to pain because I'd put up with this for over 3 months, but come October I'd had enough and went into the ER. The next day they did an endoscopy and found the band was over 80% inside my stomach and 5 days later the band was out. Btw, the same surgeon who banded me in 2008 was the same surgeon who took it out. He advised me that he no longer performs banding due to the sheer number of complications from not only his patients but those of his colleagues.

So basically I'm posting this because I wanted to not only share my story but I'd also like to hear from you ex-bandsters about your experiences. And if you have absolutely no problems with your band and think band erosion is a myth or caused by my failure to use it as a tool, you've evidently wandered here by mistake & please don't leave any snarky comments. Thank You.

Thank you for sharing the information and your experience with band erosion...I've never read any posts to discount the reality of that situation. It's information which may be helpful to others...

There are so many "if's" in the series of events you describe that you did not convey. At what point did you first notify your surgeon that you were having the complications you listed? Were you ignored, or did you make efforts to "tough it out" in the hope that the situation would improve or resolve? Did you not believe that something serious was wrong when you returned to a liquid diet?

My concern is that we all go into this surgery with the understanding that there are risks...both in the surgical process and the history which follows on. Your surgeon is limited in the scope of what they can do to assist a patient if there is no communication. Was your surgeon affiliated with a "Center for Excellence"? Centers of Excellence have a history of positive outcomes; they stress patient education and encourage communication 24/7 if the patient experiences anything which they have a concern about. Did you not have that type of support post op?

I'm truly sorry you have had to endure this painful series of events...and I also understand that we are all unique individuals. No two of us will have identical experiences.

For every individual who has a negative experience, there will be many more who will not have to cope with band erosion. And though I also have a high tolerance for pain, I know myself well enough to recognize the difference between something that is a dip in the road versus a real problem. Toughing things out, especially when one is deteriorating and in genuine distress is not a good choice.

Yes, I have had some complications with my band, and so far have been hospitalized 2 times since my surgery. I have also maintained a dialogue with my surgeon's office and my PCP. I have an appointment for a surgical consult on Monday...for a situation which is band related. I would never have allowed my situation to deteriorate to the degree which you describe.

I'm not trying to be, as you phrased it "snarky"... but this is an open forum for sharing information and emotional support among individuals who have chosen or are contemplating band surgery. The information you shared does have merit, but it is your individual situation, unique to you as an individual and the choices you made, or did not make along the way.

I hope that others can recognize that, and continue to be informed consumers as they make their own decisions about what is the right direction for them to choose.

Best wishes...

Thank you for sharing the information and your experience with band erosion...I've never read any posts to discount the reality of that situation. It's information which may be helpful to others...

There are so many "if's" in the series of events you describe that you did not convey. At what point did you first notify your surgeon that you were having the complications you listed? Were you ignored, or did you make efforts to "tough it out" in the hope that the situation would improve or resolve? Did you not believe that something serious was wrong when you returned to a liquid diet?

My concern is that we all go into this surgery with the understanding that there are risks...both in the surgical process and the history which follows on. Your surgeon is limited in the scope of what they can do to assist a patient if there is no communication. Was your surgeon affiliated with a "Center for Excellence"? Centers of Excellence have a history of positive outcomes; they stress patient education and encourage communication 24/7 if the patient experiences anything which they have a concern about. Did you not have that type of support post op?

I'm truly sorry you have had to endure this painful series of events...and I also understand that we are all unique individuals. No two of us will have identical experiences.

For every individual who has a negative experience, there will be many more who will not have to cope with band erosion. And though I also have a high tolerance for pain, I know myself well enough to recognize the difference between something that is a dip in the road versus a real problem. Toughing things out, especially when one is deteriorating and in genuine distress is not a good choice.

Yes, I have had some complications with my band, and so far have been hospitalized 2 times since my surgery. I have also maintained a dialogue with my surgeon's office and my PCP. I have an appointment for a surgical consult on Monday...for a situation which is band related. I would never have allowed my situation to deteriorate to the degree which you describe.

I'm not trying to be, as you phrased it "snarky"... but this is an open forum for sharing information and emotional support among individuals who have chosen or are contemplating band surgery. The information you shared does have merit, but it is your individual situation, unique to you as an individual and the choices you made, or did not make along the way.

I hope that others can recognize that, and continue to be informed consumers as they make their own decisions about what is the right direction for them to choose.

Best wishes...

All righty, and this is precisely the reason I won't post on this site again. Have a nice day!!

I'm curious.......Do they know what causes band erosion?

I don't have that answer, but I sincerely hope that there will be an in-depth investigation by either the FDA or the Department of Health & Human services, the entity behind the subpeona for Allergan due to the high rate of failure.

All righty' date=' and this is precisely the reason I won't post on this site again. Have a nice day!![/quote']

I found nothing offensive in the response but to each their own.

Oh my....that is exactly what happened to me. I got my band 5/31/2006!and I started having problems a few months ago. It felt like I had pressure or like I had to burp. Started eating different foods, nothing it was getting worse. I went back to my surgeon and he took 1 cc out of my band I have a 4 cc band. He told me to give it a week and see how it went. I went back and he only put a 1/2 cc back in the band. He told me the next step would be an endoscopy, and that when he told me that he had just attended a seminar and they were told that the bannds had up to an 85% chance in of erosion in some studies. Well pain got no better, so I was scheduled for an endoscopy on July 3rd 2012, before I went under he aked me if it was eroded he wanted to take it out, so I woke up with no lap band. It had eroded into my esophagus and stomach. The pain is also unbearable. I am on pain meds, antibiotics, anti fungal meds, stool softeners. I have had 2 c-sections and did not have this much pain. The bad part about this is that I was Self pay 6 years ago. I am not now and am waiting to see if my insurance will consider paying for this surgery. And I will not say anything snarky, because I also did everything I was told to do and look what happen to me. Sure I am scared about gaining weight, but right now I just want to be outta pain. Hope you are doing better

Hate to hear when people have bad experiences. Are you going to progress to the sleeve or do it on you own? Good luck to you and I am so sorry for you. I know how i would feel in that situation.

Cheri

DOnt let one small comment discourage you. Your sharing helped me feel like I am not alone. I had pains on and off since February and have been to the doctor and er. It wasn't until an endoscopy was done that they figured out I have migration or erosion. Now I wait a week to have the doctor tell me what I know from all my research....which is I will have to have it removed. My question is when you had it removed how did you cope emotionally and diet wise. Will you proceed with any other surgeries?

I found nothing offensive in the response but to each their own.

I did find Alot about her response that was offensive. Alot of her responses are offensive. but anyway. I am sorry you are going through this & I hope everything works out for the OP

I found it offensive too in that she is trying to place blame. Sometimes bands fail! It happens! I am always appreciative of people that put their neck out so others are aware of what can happen when the band fails- no matter where the fault lies! So thank you for posting your experience and know that you helped people!

Have to agree with offensive but to each his own. As I learned long ago ther are many many out there who just know so much more than I do and are experts at everything.

I just wanted to say good luck. Had my band taken out lat week after a major slip I believe had been going on for a long time. Also having a whole lot of emotions I wasn't expecting associated with it. I wish you the best and hoe you heal quickly and please do updat us from time to time.