Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein Powder?

Soy Proteins are vegetable Proteins. The body only absorbs about 30% of the ingested amount. Whey proteins are animal proteins and the body absorbs about 80-90% of them.

Quoting the following article on isolates: http://www.bodybuildingforyou.com/health-nutrition/whey-protein-powder-1.htm

"Due to the nature of the ion exchange process, the most valuable and health-promoting components are selectively depeleted. Though the Protein content is increased, many of the most important subractions are lost or greatly reduced."

So, you can see why soy isolates would have even fewer benefits. You are basically paying a lot for a whole lot of nothing.. except gas pains.

This is an excerpt from a NESTA certified training manual for personal trainer certification:

"Although considered complete proteins, the human body does not possess the necessary enzymes to break down vegetable proteins and most of it ends up in the colon where bacteria gain access to it. Research has shown that most of the gas once thought to come from the Fiber found in vegetarian sources of Protein such as Beans, is now known to be caused by the undigested vegetable protein instead."

If you are interested in reading more on this subject, check out my post on this thread:

http://lapbandtalk.com/showthread.php?t=14199

Thanks sooooo much! This was very informative and answers some ... er, unexplained incidents I had when I drank it before! hehe :)

I use a chocolate whey Protein from costco and have also used Whey Protein from Vitamin World and GNC. Can't say any are that much different than the others in taste. What I do Like though is mixing the protien powder with sugar-free chocolate pudding. I use at least one serving of protien per serving of pudding. I've found that you can use half Water and half skim milk without any real difference in taste and have made it with only Water once and that wasn't too bad. I then stir in a bit of chunky (or creamy) Peanut Butter to take the edge off that fake chocolate taste.

But, what makes it GREAT! is putting it in the freezer just long enough to start freezing. Then stirring it up so it's the temperature and consistency of soft-serve ice cream.

I purchased the Isopure clear drinks.Well the applemelon wasn't bad but the orange was kinda yucky so haven't tried the other flavors yet.I use Unjury with milk.I tried the vanilla this morning with a little Decaf coffee yummy.I tried the strawberry sorbet which is not so great,but gonna try it with a little banana yogurt mixed in as well.

Thanks for the Unjury website Bandtastic. I had kept reading about Unjury and didn't know where to go it. I went to the website and ordered the unflavored and the sample packets of the rest. After trying the nasty whey powder I got at wal-greens, I had almost given up looking at trying Protein powders again. :)

I purchased the Isopure clear drinks.Well the applemelon wasn't bad but the orange was kinda yucky so haven't tried the other flavors yet.I use unjury with milk.I tried the vanilla this morning with a little Decaf coffee yummy.I tried the strawberry sorbet which is not so great,but gonna try it with a little banana yogurt mixed in as well.

Isopure is elixer from Satan's bottom! I can gag down the tropical fruit - or is that the applemelon? the red one(!) - and the orange one but my mouth tastes like the cat used it for a catbox afterward - even if I brush my teeth and tongue. Yuck. The only thing it has going for it is the high Protein, low carb aspect. You think if I used the Isopure to mix my Protein Powder I could get twice the Protein while having to gag down only HALF the volume? Might be worth it to get rid of the Isopure AND the powder! LOL

I tried a pre-mixed Protein Drink today called Muscle Milk (there is no lactose in the product) which has 37 grams of protein in a 17 oz. serving. I tried the chocolate Milk version which is way too chocolate tasting for me and has a hint of something like coconut (?). I mixed it with skim milk (gotta be Braum's baby) and it wasn't too bad. I little sweet. I think I'll try it again and mix in a little low-carb Peanut Butter. Although it wasn't jump-for-joy great, it certainly tasted better than anything else I've tried so far. Or maybe it's just something different and I'll start gagging on it as soon as I buy more than 3 at the same time - you know after you've invested enough that you feel obligated to consume it. Blech. I got it at GNC in case anyone wants to try it and chime in.

I purchased the Isopure clear drinks.Well the applemelon wasn't bad but the orange was kinda yucky so haven't tried the other flavors yet.I use unjury with milk.I tried the vanilla this morning with a little Decaf coffee yummy.I tried the strawberry sorbet which is not so great,but gonna try it with a little banana yogurt mixed in as well.

My time is so short now, I'm afraid I might not get the Unjury in time. SO...I'm happy to say that I found CIB no sugar and am a happy camper!