Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

i know im not the only one who is struggling. basically, im not where i want to be as far as weight loss. i have lost a total of 41 pounds. i was banded september 13, 2011. my surgeon said that im doing everything right and that becayse since my band is a little bigger than the standard size itll take a little longer to loose more weight. anyway i want to hear your "unsucessful" stories. as well as successful stories. i feel that we can all support each other and our journeys :) thank you!

You are right... you are not the only one that is struggling. I was banded on 3/21/11. I have lost 50 lbs and have about 50 lbs still left to lose. I am going through a lot of stress right now and problems with my children that I never expected when I started this journey and I feel like focusing on my weight loss in the last thing I want to do. I find myself eating things that I shouldn't but controlling how much I eat because I don't want to gain back what I have lost. I have managed to maintain my weight loss over the last 6 months but have not lost anything. I know that I need a fill, but mentally do not feel ready for one yet. Also, I had to have disc replacement surgery the end of February that set me back in the exercise department and so I am fighting to get back into a routine again. Don't worry though. We all go through this, some more than others. There is light again and the weight will come off again. Just try changing up your routines, or diet and make it exciting again. I am trying to challenge myself again seeing that my husband lost 50 lbs on his own when I lost my first 50 and we have other family members trying to lose without help of weight loss surgery. Be patient with your band. One thing I did learn about my band in recent months was that if you are going to have a surgery after you have the band, you need to have some Fluid taken out before surgery if you are going to be intubated (sp?). It caused me lots of grief for a few months with eating but I have made it back from that. :blink: Hang in there! :rolleyes:

I was banded on March 8, 2011 and have lost 70 pounds. This was not my dream of waking up a size 6 but respectable I think! lol Could I have lost more by now? Certainly. There are things I can work on and need to work on but there has to be a middle ground between living and weight loss! I could not maintain exercising for 2 hours a day for very long. Everyone is different and we need to focus on what makes us happy! I can compare myself with the great "losers" out there but it will not aid in my weight loss and will probably just make me want chocolate! lol

You said it best-we can all support each other (successes and setbacks).

I am always looking for more support on this journey :)

we will all get through this together! atleast we have all started our weight loss journey. slow and steady wins the race :)

Slow weight loss is not unsuccessful, it is just slow. Slow weight loss is good for many reasons. You will get there. Be proud of your success! I was a slow loser. It took 4 years to lose 90 pounds. I am now recovering from a Tummy Tuck, lower body lift and breast lift. My life has truly changed.

The 1st 60 pounds were easier to lose than the rest. I had to get serious to lose the last 30 pounds but it was so worth it.

Keep it up. It is worth it!

Another thing to keep in mind...

Many of us decided to have this surgery because, despite diet and exercise, we could not lose weight AND keep it off! At least you are not gaining. That is a victory!

For me, I have always been pretty good about exercising regularly (usually just walking) and generally make decent food choices, but the quantity of food has been the killer for me. I am one of these folks that won't lose unless they are taking in very low calories (sub 1200) each day. I am looking forward to being able to stick with the smaller portions because that is what has been the hard part.

Let the band do its job. Go and get your fill!

I am definitely struggling. I was banded in August 2010. I had thought I would have been at goal by now (total 80-100 lbs lost) but I don't think I've really lost anything in a year, and I'm only down about 35 which I'm not happy about. Granted, I have had some issues with fill levels (some defills and refills), but I know it's pretty much all on me. I really still struggle with nighttime eating. I seem to basically lose all restriction in the evenings but the rest of the day, I just seem to be really tight. So, if I get a fill so that I'm tighter at night, I pretty much can't even drink my coffee in the mornings (PBing on liquids is worse than solids, I think!). And of course, healthier foods are always harder to get down. But, I can't give up....after paying 16K by myself, this would be my biggest failure. I refuse to accept it. So....somehow I have to find a better way to eat, or something...or try listening to my stomach way more than my head (those two fight constantly).

I had my original band done in may of 2007 and after 1 year i lost 100lbs and felt like a new woman, I looked great and was able to the things id always dreamed of. However, i developed a hiatal hernia which caused horrible acid reflux. That and the band just did not work together at all. if we took Fluid out of the band the reflux went away, So it was an up and down battle id have fluid removed so i could feel better and sleep at night for a little bit. due to gaining a little bit of weight id go have fluid put back in. Long story short my. surgeon kinda talked me into getting hernia fixed and giving me the new improved band in Feb. 2012. I have been back for 2 fills and 1 under fluro with the PA(who is not real aggressive with fills) i have gained 30 lbs since Feb. and am really discouraged. I can eat like i used to eat before the initial surgery. She just gives me such a hard time about filling it keeps putting .2 ccs in. At any rate the whole mind over stomach thing does not go away ever..the more i think about how i should not eat anymore the more i eat.

Slow weight loss is not unsuccessful' date=' it is just slow. Slow weight loss is good for many reasons. You will get there. Be proud of your success! I was a slow loser. It took 4 years to lose 90 pounds. I am now recovering from a Tummy Tuck, lower body lift and breast lift. My life has truly changed.

The 1st 60 pounds were easier to lose than the rest. I had to get serious to lose the last 30 pounds but it was so worth it.

Keep it up. It is worth it![/quote']

l

I am also a slow looser I do not regret getting the band at all. It's been 4 1/2 years down 70 + lbs and still loosing

Prior to being banded in 8/10 I lost 100 pounds. Post op I've lost 70 pounds. Did I think I would be further along than where I am yes. Please understand what I say next is not meant to brag but to demonstrate my lifestyle. I feel I am a pretty strict bandster. I stay at 1200 cals or below and do 1.5-2.5 hrs of cardio daily. One would think I'd have lost a lot more by now.

One the bright side I've lost over 100 pounds 3 other times in my life. Obviously, however I could not keep it off. I started exercising in the fall of 2008. This is the longest period in my life the I've been able to stay on a healthy lifestyle for this long. Would I have continued to loose if I had'nt gotten the band. Probably not.

More positives. At my heavist 380 + I could barely walk the store to grocery shop. At 212 (yes I know I still have a way to go) I do a 3+ mile walk daily and an do an hour Water based exercise (lap swimming or aerobics) daily. People don't stare/make comments at me in public. I'm not afraid to sit in chairs, and don't need a seat belt extender.

It's not how fast you loss the weight. I look at it as I keep off the weight and that is what I strive for. Keeping off what I have lost and losing more. The weight did not come onto our bodies overnight and it will not disappear overnight

Just keep on doing what you are doing and don't give up

I was getting really discouraged because I thought I should have lost more weight than I have . I feel a little better after reading several post where you all talk about how much you have lost but most important is thatis nit over night but will take time to get there and used to your new lifestyle . thanks