Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lost Of My Friend!

My heart is heavy! My friend pass away this morning due to complications from her band, that started the begining of this month She wasn't losing enough wait after having her band for 11mths she went to her dr he gave her a fill. A week later she couldn't keep anything down and vomiting a lot so she went a few days with this, finally she called her dr office he was out of town so she went to the ER that night ER dr called spoke to the on called dr from her dr office told the ER dr to take some Fluid out her band and sent her home that next night she began to voimt again went back to the ER and they spoke to the on call dr he had them to do ct and other test until he got their when all test came bk her band had slip the on call dr admitted her,her dr came bk that next day from being out of town her dr then took her into surgery that after noon to remove her band as she was getting ready for surgery she was vomitting then finally they took her in to surgery removed the band while in surgery she had a mild stroke she was kept in icu two days later her lungs collapsed from the voimt getting into her lungs a few days later her system begain to shut down ker kidneys shut down and she was on life support until this morning when the Lord finally gave her rest in his arms I love you and will miss you! You must go to the dr the minute your band start to act up and not wait to see if it gets better because time is valuable to when the band starts to act up and if you feel the band should come out demand it don't allow the dr tell you well if I do this or that it should be ok because that's not allways the case! I'm getting ready to have mines removed because mines is sitting on top of my stomach with no pouch in site I was going to have it repostion but after losing my friend today its coming out!

I am so very sorry to hear about your friend and my heart goes out to you.

There is a very good lesson to be learned here, when you feel there is something wrong DON'T wait.

I have also read over and over about ER doctors not knowing what to do with the band.

Big {{{{HUG}}}} and prayers for you.

I'm so sorry for your loss I just was looking for info on band slippage and read your post. I had a complete blockage and forcefully vomited multiple time to get it up I had severe heard burn develop so they removed a small amt of Fluid with has helped some but has not resolved it so I'm gonna have the ban checked under fluoroscopy in 3 week to check out the band. Again I'm so sorry for your loss if you or anyone else has any info to help me please let me know

I'm very sorry for your loss. How tragic the story is, but may some learn from it. Fellow bandsters PLEASE CONTACT YOUR DOCTOR when you are experiencing problems. Bandsters on this sight can give wonderful emotional support, however save medical questions for your doctor. Best wishes to you on your upco ing band removal surgery.

Oh happyt, I am so sorry to hear about your frined. What a tragedy. I had a slip and my surgeon was available, but i , also waited because I felt I was just sick with the flu. I, finally, called and went in, he said I should have come in on emergency on Sunday and not waited until Monday. He removed all the fill and operated on Thursday, i only need an adjustment and not a removal. But, I do hope that people read your friend's story and are cautious of slips. They do need to see their surgeon ASAP!!! God bless you and comfort you. Karen

Very sad, sorry.

but

Where did this happen?

It sounds like there were a lot of things that could have been done that would have averted this tragedy.

So sorry to hear about your friend, my prayers for you and your friend's family. Was this in Houston? As your Dr is Dr Hollis and he is in Houston. I think it will help people in the area to know where not to go during an emergency.

My Dr was very good about problems or questions on the weekend or after hours. I could call the answering service and get a call back in about 5 minutes with an offer to meet in in his office. That being said he has since relocated and the new Drs I have no idea what they would do in a emergency. Will find out ASAP!

Again so sorry for your loss.

cheri

WOW sooo sorry to hear that.Ironically I just posted that I had never heard of anybody dying from the band.soo sad.I have had a really good experience so far and my doctor told me " regardless of what u may read on the Internet ,vomitting is NOT normal !! If it happens you get to an ER and call me on my cell!!" I hope we all can learn something from this.We got the band to take better care of ourselves and hopefully live longer, but then we neglect the signals.I have read sooo many posts where people are not thinking that their issue is serious and dealt with ith it for days or weeks even before they post, Luckily there are great bandsters on here that have screamed ( in writing) Go see ur doctor !!

Praying for peace of mind for u and the her family :-(

Okay so maybe it's just me - and if this post is accurate I am sorry for your loss. . .Why is it that most doom and gloom posts are posted by people who have either just joined or have only ever made very few posts? We do all need to be aware of what is happening in our bodies and how it relates or does not relate to our band. Many of us are already obese or morbidly obese and prone to some of these conditions with or without the band!

If you are considering being banded don't let stories like this one scare you away. Do research for yourself and talk to your doctor and care providers. Educate yourself as to what is normal and not normal after being banded and advocate for your own health!!!

Sorry for your loss:( Thanks for posting because you are right about going to the doctor if you are having complications....I think your post will inform people about the dangers of seeing if it's going to get better on it's own.

I'm very very sorry for your loss, but you must realize the band isn't what caused her death. She had a stroke while under anesthetic during surgery, and that has nothing to do with the band. The same thing would've happened if she was having surgery for gall bladder or anything else.

The band can't cause a stroke and it's the stroke that lead to everything else leading up to her passing. It just so happened that it occurred while being treated for a slip.

Again, I am very sorry, but I also don't want people freaked out thinking their band is going to cause a stroke and kill them. It's not the case nor is it possible.

Delete:)

I believe it was band related. I believe the too tight fill caused severe dehydration which can lead to a stroke. I think she should have been given fluids or something before going into surgery. So, in a way it was band related but no the band cannot cause a stroke.

No offense, but that is incredibly unlikely. Dehydration can increase stroke risk in those already susceptible, but it's not going to cause a stroke unless it's so severe you're dying in a desert. And, she would've been on an IV during surgery, so she was on fluids.

There is zero proof it was the band. Only that it was incredibly unfortunate that the surgery (likely anesthesia) lead to her passing.

Delete

Good to see that others also thought this was strange for a 1st or 2nd post. I was going to say something but thought that for once in my life I should just be sympathetic and tactful instead.