Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Acid Reflux, What Am I To Do.

I've had my band for about 7 years. My reflux got so bad I had all the liquid taken out. I was empty for over a year hoping it would cure the reflux. It did calm it down but the reflux has never completely gone away. I decided I might as well tighten my band since the reflux is still there.

I use an acid blocker and during the day I am fine. I don't eat past 7 pm but still the acid is so bad I have to try and sleep upright and even still I will get reflux.

I'm not throwing up so I question if it's a slippage. I've asked the nurse and the only solution she suggests is loosening the band and the acid blocker. I am so frustrated. Is there anything else I should try so I can keep my band tightened?

I'm so sorry. I know how frsutrating it is to have reflux. About 5 mths ago (about 2 yrs post op) I started having nightly reflux. So bad that I took rx Nexium, rx Prilosec, and 5 OTC Zantacs +rolaids and slept sitting up. Only to still cough up stomach acid all nite. I finally, after 4 mths, went in to the doc to see what was causing it (I was afraid of gaining all my wt back). I slipped my band from throwing up too much (my fault. I've never learned the art of eating slowly).

They took 1/2 of my 10cc of fill out and let me go for 3 weeks. Just last week, I went in for a fill and they only put 1cc in. I'm still gaining. But ever since the day they took out my fill, I've slept like a baby. Never needed another pill. Now I'm just bummed that I'm going thru the "bandster hell" yet again. Thought that was over long ago. You just started having problems with it 7 yrs later? Thats a good amt of time. I hope I'm so lucky to go another 7 yrs with no problems.

No advice here, just thought I'd say I know exactly how your feeling. When my primary care dr told me that untreated reflux can cause esophageal cancer, I decided it wasn't worth it. Good luck to you!

Marci

Talk to your surgeon. I had an EGD done and was diagnosed with hiatal hernia. I am having it repaired in 2 weeks. There may be something else going on besides a slip or being too tight.

HI there,

I often have reflux and take Nexium. I used to take the tablet in the morning and had reflux at night, so now I take the tablet in the evening and everything is fine.

Marce1

My only symptom of band slippage was reflux. It got worse over time. I just recently had a revisions and had to go throug 4hrs of surgery to fix the mess the slippage had caused which included a hiatal hernia, severe scarring. So go to the doc and make them do an upper gi.

A little about me. I've been banded for almost 2 years. I've lost 115 lbs. I'm at goal I haven't had a fill in about a year and have acid reflux for about a year. It started after I got pregnant. I miscarried at 20 weeks and the acid reflux continued. I had an upper GI and nothing. I actually wanted another fill and my dr ordered the upper GI? She thought something was wrong and nothing. Anyway please please please try OMPRAZOLE. I've seen it at Walmart and Sam's Club for a while and never thought to try it. I've been using it for the past two days and WOW. What a difference. I used to wake up in the middle of the night choking on vomit or acid. I suffered from it throughout the day, particularly when I was hungry. The worst was at night when I lay down. I tried to sleep on several pillows to keep my head elevated and nothing. I tried to stop eating at least an hour before i slept and nothing. I troed Tums, that provided temporary reluef. This OMPRAZOLE is the ONLY thing that has worked. I know I'm not too tight and I know there is nothing wrong with my band. I refuse to get an unfill. I'm crazy and refuse to mess up a good thing. I'm comfortable with my restriction and wouldn't change a thing except for this darn acid reflux. I'm and going to post a pic of this medicine and keep you posted about my success or unsuccess with it. So far so good. You use it for 14 days straight. You take it if you suffer from heartburn/acid reflux at least twice a week. I feel like screaming I'm so relieved. Good luck and God Bless you.

Well I had an endoscopy and barium swallow done and apparently my esophagus is not pushing the food down. I'm only tightened at a 1.5 and I have to have that taken out. Then I have to do the barium swallow again in a month and a half to see if the band being completely loose helps. Then if that doesn't work possibly I will have to have the band removed. Then what? Is there any other weight loss surgeries I should consider?

Well I had an endoscopy and barium swallow done and apparently my esophagus is not pushing the food down. I'm only tightened at a 1.5 and I have to have that taken out. Then I have to do the barium swallow again in a month and a half to see if the band being completely loose helps. Then if that doesn't work possibly I will have to have the band removed. Then what? Is there any other weight loss surgeries I should consider?

Oh no. That doesn't sound good. I hope the unfill will help. You would have to talk to your surgeon about other options. If there is an issue with your esophagus it may limit your options.

Was looking here because I've had some reflux for about 2 days whenever I have dairy. I can still swallow pills w/o a problem and no vomiting so didn't really think slip. It is strange though. I went back to liquids yesterday and still feel reflux with dairy. If it continues will call surgeon, but can't afford any problems since I have new insurance and nothing bariatric is covered.