Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Will I always have to drink 3 ozs an hour or can I drink normally but be mindful not to chug drinks?

Wow that is a new one on me. I drink over 100 ounces of Water a day and never worry about 3 ounces per hour. Is there a reason why you were told this?

I have found that the only way to be certain to drink enough fluids a day is to structure my day/evening so that I keep a pace with drinking my Water. I know that before Breakfast, I need to have 12 oz, after waiting the required hour and prior to lunch, drink another 16 oz. And so on for the rest of the day/evening.

I also have not heard of any exact measurement of fluids per hour before. Though I do admit that where ever I go, so goes at least one bottle of water!

This is my biggest worry because I am not banded yet and normally drink over a gallon of Water a day. On hot days like today I might drink more. I don't drink anything else, not even coffee or tea. The only other thing I drink is 8 ounces of almond milk with my Cereal or oatmeal. I am trying to learn to take small sips now, but honestly I have a hard time. Even when I take my pills I drown it down with a about an 8 ounce glass of water, oy!!! I have to keep trying harder!!!

Idk I have my follow-up appt tomorrow and will ask then I was just trying to see if maybe I could get some insight from others here. I am starting to think maybe it was just for immediately following the surgery and now perhaps I am just supposed to drink at a slower pace (like envision the liquid flowing through the band opening and then not chug the drinks to give the liquid time to get through) does that make sense.

This was a big worry to me before being banded, and I have to tell you, Water goes down very easily. i chug with no problems at all. I drink a lot of Water, at minimum 64 oz. per day..that's bare minimum though. I also drink through a straw and have no problems with that either.

The only rule I follow is no drinking for 20 minutes after I eat a meal. other than that, I drink, drink, drink. gotta get all that water in!

.....i did NOT chug right after surgery. you won't want to, it will be a struggle to get any fluids down for a few days at least. right after surgery, i filled the lid to my water bottle up and took teeny tiny sips. once you start feeling more hunger, you will start adding a little bit more Water. don't try to chug or drink quickly right after surgery. give yourself time to heal.