Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So we are not supposed to drink for an hour after eating because the food will get washed through but the band is supposed to help you stay full for three or four hours. My question is: if you drink Water an hour after eating does that not wash the food through? So theoretically wouldnt you get hungry soon after washing the food through only an hour after eating? Also, since we chew our food to a liquid like consistency why isn't all food slider food? Just wondering... I'm sure there is something I am missing.

There is lots missing.

A lot of Dr's now tell us that the food passes through in a minute or 2 and does not stay in the pouch so that would seem to make nonsense out of the drinking rule.

In truth I think they have lots of theories as to how the band works but no definitive answers.I find it really annoying. I much prefer facts to theories.

I've heard that the amount you eat makes you hit a nerve at the top of your stomach that sends a signal to your brain that you are full. So the concept of the band is to make you eat a smaller portion to reach this nerve to send the signal.

I was told only waiting a half hour to drink and that way that nerve has time to get working before you drink anything.

This seemed logical, so I stick with that thinking. That's why it so important to listen to your body. You need to be able to tell when u hit that limit. If the portion of your smaller stomach can only hold 1/2 cup, then it will hit that nerve and you need to stop.

that is what my doctors office has explained to me. :-)

For one i am having the hardest time not drinking while i eat. Who doesnt need a drink after or while eating?? Second i dont understand either. Im thinking the same exact thing you are!

Well, I am sure the food doesn't stay in your pouch after about half an hour (the time many of us are told to wait). By then it's gone through. So it's normal digestion by that point, but your hunger is sated. At least, that's what I find!

For one i am having the hardest time not drinking while i eat. Who doesnt need a drink after or while eating?? Second i dont understand either. Im thinking the same exact thing you are!

I usually drink a glass 15min before my meal, usually I don't need a drink after that til 30min after I'm done. If I absolutely need one, ill take a few sips after I'm done

I find if I have a glass of Water before eating I am fine. Also if you choose less salty foods that also helps. I don't chew my food to liquids I just chew in general. I think many of us were used to not really chewing at all.