Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is There A Dining Out Group For Banisters I Can Attend Near Nyc?

I am considering getting banded in Sept. I am self pay ( low BMI) and am saving cash. In the meantime I have so many questions about what eating is like with the band. Questions I really wish I had a great friend to ask. I would love to actually eat a meal w some bandsters and see JUST HOW MUCH chewing is involved, how much or little they eat, and ask some questions about what its like to be full after a few bites. Does anyone meet in the city to have dinner together and if so, would they mind having a pre op full of questions join them?

What the heck is a BANISTER?? Sorry about that, spell check changed it, I meant to say Bandsters.

I see you are having Dr. Ren do your surgery. You should definitely attend the meetings that happen (I think) on the 3rd Wednesday of the month. those are very helpful. Also, Dr. Ren's husband Dr. Fielding has events where he eats out with patients and shows them in a group setting how to get through a meal in a restaurant. I have never done one, but his office offers it.

You should absolutely look into going to a group meeting though.

***edited to add**** meetings are on the 3rd wed. of the month. details below:

1-12 Months After Surgery

Third Wednesday of every month, 6-8 p.m..

Location: 550 First Avenue, Skirball Conference Room. Take the "D" elevators to the 2nd Floor.

(you can attend even if you are considering the surgery)

I see you are having Dr. Ren do your surgery. You should definitely attend the meetings that happen (I think) on the 3rd Wednesday of the month. those are very helpful. Also' date=' Dr. Ren's husband Dr. Fielding has events where he eats out with patients and shows them in a group setting how to get through a meal in a restaurant. I have never done one, but his office offers it.

You should absolutely look into going to a group meeting though.

***edited to add**** meetings are on the 3rd wed. of the month. details below:

1-12 Months After Surgery

Third Wednesday of every month, 6-8 p.m..

Location: 550 First Avenue, Skirball Conference Room. Take the "D" elevators to the 2nd Floor.

(you can attend even if you are considering the surgery)[/quote']

Thank you So much. This sounds awesome. Are you into the vicar of dibley? Such a funny show. Where are you in your lap band journey?

Yes, I love Vicar of Dibley and I really love Dawn French too!

I'm just over a year out from my surgery and down just over 100lbs. Dr. Fielding did my surgery. Their staff is great so I know you will be in good hands if you choose to go with them.

No fills? Really? So what makes a person with no fills lose weight? And what happens when your port flips and you need surgery? Does insurance cover that? I am self pay and though I can afford the surgery (I've been saving) I won't be able to afford it if I need revisions etc. yikes!

Re the Wednesday group support at NYU, I have been totally looking forward to going tomorrow but I called today and I was told that I totally and completely can not go unless I've been operated on already. Do you know otherwise?

I don't know what made me lose weight with no fills..it has just worked for me. I feel satisfied and I don't think about food all day. if i stop feeling satisfied or start obsessing over food, i will have a fill. My port revision was covered by my insurance, so I don't know what would happen for self payers, but that is a question I would ask my doctor, just so you have all the info you need for whatever might happen.

as far as the support group. I had not had the surgery before I went to the meeting. you can really just show up. the support group leader doesn't know you haven't had the surgery and he won't kick you out. you can just tell him you are considering it and you are there to have some questions answered before you decide. The doctors are not present at the support groups.