Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help Please-Unusual Vomiting

I have had my lap band for almost a year. I have experienced food being “stuck”, and the “sliming”. Today I was eating some lunch, and everything was going fine, after I was done eating I had the usual slim come back up, and I had a little food come back up.

About an hour later, I was out and got a drink of tea. I had just taken a few sips, about 15 minutes later while I was driving home, I started throwing up uncontrollably, and I threw up everything I had eating for lunch. I guess my question is, is this a lap band thing, or do you think a touch of the flu?

Any comments would be so greatly appreciated!

Hi!

I've had my band for 3 years (or so) - I had all the fill removed for about a year (had breast cancer). I am back at it again, thankfully, but it is SO different this time around!!!! I HAD to learn exactly when I had enough to eat.....if I took 1 small bite or a sip of Water after I had enough, I would throw it all up!!!!! I was embarrassed a number of times while eating out....barfed into my napkin......RAN to the bathroom........leaned out of my car door.....was gross!! BUT, now I am super sensitive to the signals my "belly" and band give to me. I can be eating right along and - instantly - I feel this "pressure" in my chest and start to get a little of that "clogged-up" feel and I KNOW I HAVE TO STOP IMMEDIATELY or it will all come up & fast....I have had a nice bite of food in my mouth and chewing away and I start to get this "feeling" and I KNOW I can not swallow what is in my mouth......now that can be a dilemma!! I've had to leave and "use" the restroom and just spit it all out. Once I figured out the "body signals" I have been MUCH better and a ton more comfortable. It is really weird because I NEVER had this problem?? the first time around - before I had beast cancer - so it has been a whole new learning experience for me!! Took me probably 3 good months before I "got" it!! SO, good luck cause it can be uncomfortable..........but you will figure out your "signals" too!!

Hi!

I've had my band for 3 years (or so) - I had all the fill removed for about a year (had breast cancer). I am back at it again, thankfully, but it is SO different this time around!!!! I HAD to learn exactly when I had enough to eat.....if I took 1 small bite or a sip of Water after I had enough, I would throw it all up!!!!! I was embarrassed a number of times while eating out....barfed into my napkin......RAN to the bathroom........leaned out of my car door.....was gross!! BUT, now I am super sensitive to the signals my "belly" and band give to me. I can be eating right along and - instantly - I feel this "pressure" in my chest and start to get a little of that "clogged-up" feel and I KNOW I HAVE TO STOP IMMEDIATELY or it will all come up & fast....I have had a nice bite of food in my mouth and chewing away and I start to get this "feeling" and I KNOW I can not swallow what is in my mouth......now that can be a dilemma!! I've had to leave and "use" the restroom and just spit it all out. Once I figured out the "body signals" I have been MUCH better and a ton more comfortable. It is really weird because I NEVER had this problem?? the first time around - before I had beast cancer - so it has been a whole new learning experience for me!! Took me probably 3 good months before I "got" it!! SO, good luck cause it can be uncomfortable..........but you will figure out your "signals" too!!

this is interesting. thanks for sharing. ive been banded three months, and i reckon ive had sliming about average every three weeks or so. Yesterday i had a bigger than normal bite of pork, didnt chew it enough and it gave me problems for about 2 hours afterwoods. that did concern me. i was very sore after woods in the pouch and only had a cup of Soup later in the evening for tea. You are so right... its all about our control. are we taking small bites? are we chewing long enough? ive found that if my bite is too large then no amount of chewing is going to make the transition easy. i have my second fill on wednesday.

The usual slime? That alone sounds as though you could be too tight.

On the vomiting side - if it is continuing, then contact your dr. Vomiting with the band is not good so, regardless of the cause, you need to get it under control ASAP.

I have had my band for 2 weeks, no fills yet. What is the slime? Can someone fill me in on this and how it happens.

The usual slime? That alone sounds as though you could be too tight.

On the vomiting side - if it is continuing, then contact your dr. Vomiting with the band is not good so, regardless of the cause, you need to get it under control ASAP.

I agree sliming should not be a 'usual' u are either eating too fast, swallowing to big bites or your band is too tight, it may well be that your stomach was just swollen from being stuck and sliming when u were sick, but to be safe it sounds like u should get it checked out with your doctor... sliming should be unuusual not usual :)

I guess my choice of words was not the best. As far as slime, it does only happen when i eat to big of bites or eat too much! Thanks for the helpful suggestions

Are you feeling any better?

yes much better thanks for asking! i'm thinking i had a touch of the stomach flu!