Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Advice For First Month Please!

Im getting the band in 10 days! please give me your best advice for the first day, week and month. Thanks,

Keep drinking Water and get up and move as often as you can. You probably won't feel like it but it's the best thing for you. Good luck.

The first day, is rest...stay properly hydrated, and take your pain medication as needed. Try to stay ahead of the pain, that is to not wait until your pain level is high and then take the medication.

It is very helpful to get things moving again inside for the gas so be certain to take a short walk around the house every hour you are awake...I was also given a series of foot and lower leg exercises to do every hour to help avoid development of DVT.

The same goes for the initial week or so; it will seem difficult to get all of your fluids every day; do your best so that you are properly hydrated. Try to lengthen your walks around the house, maybe a bit outside as tolerated. The more you move around (within reason), the better you will feel. SF popsicles were great to have . I got a craving for salt a couple of times, so I had clear chicken broth which was a nice change from the sweet shakes.

I was on liquids for an entire 2 weeks post op, and was thrilled to finally to get to the next stage at week 3...everything went into the blender to be pureed. I used fresh fruit for my carbs (pureed cantaloupe was my favorite :) ), and also made homemade chicken salad and egg salad. I also had SF FF pudding for variety. I began to take walks around the lengthy cul de sac we live on, and it felt good to get some exercise which was not too strenuous.

Best wishes to you as your weight loss journey begins!

The first day' date=' is rest...stay properly hydrated, and take your pain medication as needed. Try to stay ahead of the pain, that is to not wait until your pain level is high and then take the medication.

It is very helpful to get things moving again inside for the gas so be certain to take a short walk around the house every hour you are awake...I was also given a series of foot and lower leg exercises to do every hour to help avoid development of DVT.

The same goes for the initial week or so; it will seem difficult to get all of your fluids every day; do you best so that you are properly hydrated. Try to lengthen your walks around the house, maybe a bit outside as tolerated. The more you move around (within reason), the better you will feel. SF popsicles were great to have . I got a craving for salt a couple of times, so I had clear chicken broth which was a nice change from the sweet shakes.

I was on liquids for an entire 2 weeks post op, and was thrilled to finally to get to the next stage at week 3...everything went into the blender to be pureed. I used fresh fruit for my carbs (pureed cantaloupe was my favorite :) ), and also made homemade chicken salad and egg salad. I also had SF FF pudding for variety. I began to take walks around the lengthy cul de sac we live on, and it felt good to get some exercise which was not too strenuous.

Best wishes to you as your weight loss journey begins! [/quote']

We're you on liquids post op for 2 weeks because the doctor told you, or because more solid foods made you sick?

I just finished my first month! I would say grocery shopping for your Clear Liquids, full liquids, and mushies ahead of time is a good idea. Use a heating pad and take your pain meds/anti nausea those first few days. Do as much walking as you can without overdoing it to help with gas pains and healing. Stay hydrated. follow your doctors orders and do not try progressing to solid foods quicker than they say you can.

The #1 hardest thing for me the first month was keeping a positive attitude. My emotions are starting to stabilize now. Lol. If youre like me, you will get so frustrated with those liquids and mushies you'll want to scream. Have family and friends around you and post on here for support! Will be over before you know it.

I am 7 weeks out. The first 3 days were not but I would recommend to try your best to stay hydrated. It gets better faster but then when the swelling goes down the hunger comes. The first

Month seems to be about patience. Which is hard. I lost 10 lbs first week then nothing for 2 weeks once I started mushers and that was hard mentally. Now I am down 27 lbs total including the 2 week prior. I feel good. Good luck! Be ready to be patient for month one. Consider hiding the scale till your 1 month visit for your mental sanity :)

We're you on liquids post op for 2 weeks because the doctor told you, or because more solid foods made you sick?

Most doctors require 2 weeks liquids post op because your stomach is recovering from having the band stiched into place. You don't want your stomach moving/grinding while it's healing.

My surgeon required a total liquid diet for an entire 4 weeks...2 weeks pre op, and another 2 weeks post op.

It was not the easiest to remain compliant with, but you get through taking a day at a time and staying busy!

My surgeon required a total liquid diet for an entire 4 weeks...2 weeks pre op, and another 2 weeks post op.

It was not the easiest to remain compliant with, but you get through taking a day at a time and staying busy!

thats what i'm having to do too. i'm actually on day 4 of the pre-op liquids. so i have a ways to go! i'm trying to keep busy and not think about how long it will be and just think of getting through this day with liquid... and not worrying about the next. i'm also hoping this will help me lose some! lol. how much did you lose during those 4 weeks?

also, at what point did you stop wanting real food? or did that want ever go away?? where you were like indifferent?

I lost approximately 16 pounds during the month I spent on liquids, though for the pre op diet I was also required to have 1 cup of raw salad veggies for Fiber every day.

Wanting to eat a normal diet decreased at some point during week 2 pre op, but I did not keep a journal. I know that for me it was a bit more challenging, as my husband continued to eat in the same room as I was in. And then left the dishes for me to clean up.

Post op, I really did not have my hunger return until about mid week on the second week of liquids. I never cheated on the liquid diet, as I had a number of pounds to loose pre op, and then definitely did not want any episodes of getting anything stuck or risk vomiting if I ate before being allowed to.

My surgery had to be postponed for over a year due to medical reasons, and I kept my focus on how long I had waited for the opportunity to have the surgery and regain some of the health my weight was taking from me. That helped me, too.

I hope that this information helps you...Best wishes to you as you continue on your journey!