Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hiatal Hernia Repair When Banded?

I did not know I had the hernia so was very surprised after surgery that I did. I had been experiencing severe chest pains which I have not had since the surgery. I think doing both saved you from another surgery and probably did not interfere with the band ( I hope). Also, my GERD is completely gone which is wonderful. I have had some nausea the last 2 nights, but I am sure I ate something I should not have eaten. My stomach is still tender and swollen and still some pain where the port has been placed. Hope you are feeling better. Doxie

after i woke up after my surgery, the doctor told me he repaired the hiatel hernia. the nurses and friends on here said there would be some pain and there was. for about 7 intense days. it will pass. just REST and do not over do it.

I had my surgery in March, 2006. Everything went well and I lost my weight. About a year or so ago I started having GERD. We had relocated, so I had to find a new doctor. After my first visit, and the barium swallow, I was told that I had a dialated pouch, and all of my fill was removed. Three months later, and after an endoscopy was performed, it was determined that I have a hiatal hernia, and my band has slipped. My surgeon has recommended that I have the hernia repaired, my old band rmoved, and replaced with a new improved band. This will be done all at the same time. I'm scheduled for the latter part of this month.

Anyone have any experience with these procedures.

Did the surgery with hernia repair take longer than the regular surgery? About how long were you guys out for? Everynow and then I get chest pain and there is also a sharp pain I get when I get into my car (it is low). I just want to be prepared if it turns out that is the case. Also, I am paying cash for my surgery... does the insurance cover that part if they have to do it?

I was self pay too and surgeon just included it if he found one which he did rather large and I had no symptoms. I think it made the surgery 15-20 minutes longer but nothing major. I think my recovery was the same as if just had band. No chest issues just incision pain/port. By day 3 doing pretty well and off pain meds day 4 or 5.

I have to have a hiatal hernia repaired during my banding as well. I am scared but i figure you mid as well do it while i am open than have another sugery altogether. Thats for the post though because i was worried about extra pain from having both done.

I had a hernia repaired during my band surgery that I didn't even know I had. That was 3 yrs ago and my gosh I have been able to enjoy foods I had not eaten in years even jalenpenos! Well until this week, I just got a fill after not going to the Dr for a year and a half. For the first time in three yrs I have such bad acid reflux at night, waking sometimes more than once an hour throwing up brown acrid bile. So my sleep is a mess, I'm so groggy. My Dr just left for vacation so I have to find someone to help. I can't figure out why it happened though after all that time getting the.5cc's should not have been a problem.I had lost 75 lbs and maintained it over the time I did not visit the Dr but really want to lose another 50/60 lbs and obviously needed another boost to get me working harder at it. This has been the best thing I have ever done for myself! Even with all the little problems that we deal with.

I'm having surgery on July 11th with repair also so I appreciate the info. I have found u

I get nauseous from simply drinking only the Protein Shakes. Did this happen to anyone else. Not sure I can tolerate more nausea than I already have.

Did the surgery with hernia repair take longer than the regular surgery? About how long were you guys out for? Everynow and then I get chest pain and there is also a sharp pain I get when I get into my car (it is low). I just want to be prepared if it turns out that is the case. Also, I am paying cash for my surgery... does the insurance cover that part if they have to do it?

Yes, I was a cash paying patient and insurance will cover it since it was needed and if we had discovered it they would have payed for it anyway.

Yes, I was a cash paying patient and insurance will cover it since it was needed and if we had discovered it they would have payed for it anyway.

You know my surgery was scheduled late in the day and I am not sure how long it took. My husband said longer than he thought. My insurance covered both, but I am sure ins. would cover the hernia anyway. I have had no nausea and no Gerd so I guess the hernia repair was a good thing. Of course I am not eating all the junk I did before! Good Luck Dox

I too had the hernia repair and I'm not having chest pain. Also I can bet down 3 shakes and 32 oz of water/ crystal light. Have y'all been walking and have y'all had a BM?

I too had the hernia repair and I'm not having chest pain. Also I can bet down 3 shakes and 32 oz of water/ crystal light. Have y'all been walking and have y'all had a BM?

Yes, I have been doing shakes, Soups and walking a lot. Chest pain seems worse but not sure if its because I have backed off of my pain meds. I had a BM with the help of fleet on day 3

Yes' date=' I have been doing shakes, Soups and walking a lot. Chest pain seems worse but not sure if its because I have backed off of my pain meds. I had a BM with the help of fleet on day 3[/quote']

Hmm have to tlk to ur doc abt ur concerns. I never had the chest pains could it be just the gas?

Hmm have to tlk to ur doc abt ur concerns. I never had the chest pains could it be just the gas?

I suppose it could be just gas. I am still gassy at times, lol. But no pain in shoulders anymore and gas comes and gos but the pain is pretty constant but not terrible...kinda like what it feels like when you eat something cold too fast