Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

30 months and my band has slipped!

Kelly sorry to hear of your slip..I can rel;ate to your feelings of just wanting it removed. Once I found out i was eroded I wanted it out! Maybe you will be fortunate to have it slip back into place without surgery..hope things get better for you. Please keep us updated.

So sorry to hear your going through this. It is a very personal choice.

I was just rebanded due to a leak in my band and port. My recovery is much harder this time around, however if I went in next week and he told me that he needed to do it again, I am 99% sure I would do it again. I have only had it for 5 months and I am thrilled with the help that it has given me.

Best of luck, don't give up on yourself, hang in there, hugs

Hugs Kelly

I can see both sides - but I am still newbie enough to vote for keeping the band, drama and all. Even a little restriction is better than none - so maybe you could just keep it a little looser than you have in the past to lessen the drama factor? Just a thought.

I hope you feel better soon and can get liquids in. Dehydration is ugly.

Huge hugs!

Like Michelle, once we SAW the esophageal problems, I couldn't wait to get my band out. UNLIKE Michelle, I had it done along with the DS.

I'm so sorry for you, Kel...

Sue

Hi Kelly,

I too am sorry to hear about your slip. You will make the right decision either way when it comes time. What does the doctor think about it? I go in for my first endoscopy in a couple of weeks and am a bit nervous about the prospect of erosion (not because of symtoms but recent history of the surgeon) myself. Anyway wanted to send you warm hugs cyberstyle and wishing you the best. Teresa

Kellymoos,

I don't know if this helps but when I went for my very first fill my band was horizontal and the doctor said that it can happen and that it usually moves back into place when more weight is lost.

When I went for another fill last week it was in perfect position and had moved back. Could it be that you need more time? Maybe more weight loss? I'm so sorry it sounds like youve been through so much.

Hope things work out for you.

I'm being banded on Monday. Reading this stuff is so discouraging because it makes one think it's not "if" you slip, but "when" you slip.

Do US doctors truly have a handle on how to put in the band, or is the device just not perfected yet?

i went today i pb & throw up about 4 out of 7 days sometimes my food gets stuck sometimes not...i have hd my band for 13 mos & they replaced my portal in nov scar tissue hd healed over it which made getting a fill a nightmare....now they wnt me to go for a swallow test as well....i feel where u r comming from i feel very fustrated as well....

Well his office called my around 2 pm and told me to get to the hospital ER. I did and had the band removed around 9pm last night. I am glad that I did and I could not give the band time to move back in place due to not even being able to swallow my own spit. I had total blockage......I had not eaten or drank anything in 5 days. I was dehydrated and the ER nurse tried twice on a vein and then someone else had to try. I lost all the weight in the first year and had started to diet and walk 3 miles a day recently. I have even been taking Adipex. So without the band I will continue to eat right and walk and maybe even get a BowFlex or something of that sort. I am glad that I had the opportunity to get the band, now I won't have the what if's. But, I personally did not want the band put back in place and in 3 more years have to have surgery again. I personally know 5 people with the band and 3 of us has had to have ours removed. My sister still has hers but has to have a leak somewhere every time she gets a fill when they check it it's gone, her dr told her to start a diet plan...........she has not lost anything. I could not handle more than 1 cc after I had lost my weight. I know that I had the smallest band and maybe I just needed a bigger one. But, every one has their preference and I liked my band when I had it and did not have any problems, but I am glad for the worries to be gone.

Good Luck to everyone and I will still be around....

Awe Kelly - I had a feeling thats where you were!

I wish I had something wonderful to tell you - to make things better.

Just know that this is part of your journey (and many others). Banded OR bandless, please stick around. (((hugs)))

We need you now more then ever!

God bless.

ps - what did Spiegel say about the slip and you wanting it removed. Did he try to talk you out of it?

Kelly,

I do not believe we have chatted, but I am so moved by your courage. You really seem to have your emotions in check. Thank you for sharing this with us. You are really an inspiration. Don't leave us. We will always need you, and we will always be here for you.

Roni

I am sorry to hear that -- Do you have to pay for lapband complications -- meaning, if it slipped is it determined to be "your fault" or does the doctor do it for free?

If not free, how much would it cost to get it repaired? :)

He said in 5 months when I am 250 lbs I will wish I still had it...Yep, that is what my Doctor told me. When I left, no instructions, no prescriptions, no how much time do I take off, no when to take the bandages off or anything about if I have stitches or not, no how do I start eating...nothing. But, I called his office and found out.

I will succeed!!!! Sorry, Christina...had to borrow your slogan:-)

I'm so sorry your band journey has ended this way. Please stay with us and be a part of this family, with or without your band, we're all in this together. Hugs Sweet Lady!