Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How can I possibly eat/drink all I'm supposed to?

Not quite a food question so I thought I'd post here.

My surgeon & nutritionist's guidelines indicate:

• 3 small meals per day
  • 64 oz Water (protein drinks count)
  • No drinking 30 mins before a meal or 2 hours after
  • Drink no faster than 2 oz per 15 min, or 8 oz per hour

I don't see how this is physically possible to do. What am I missing? Let's say my day starts at 7:30 and ends at 10:30. Here's a sample schedule:

7:30 - 8:30 = 8 oz Protein drink/water.

8:30 - 9:00 = (waiting until I can eat)

9:00 - 9:30 = 30 mins to eat Breakfast

9:30 - 11:30 = (waiting until I can drink)

11:30 - 12:30 = 8 oz water/protein

12:30 - 1:00 = (waiting until I can eat)

1:00 - 1:30 = 30 mins to eat lunch

1:30 - 3:30 = (waiting until I can drink)

3:30 - 4:30 = 8 oz water/protein

4:30 - 5:30 = 8 oz water/protein

5:30 - 6:00 = (waiting until I can eat)

6:00 - 6:30 = 30 mins to eat dinner

6:30 - 8:30 = (waiting until I can drink)

8:30 - 9:30 = 8 oz water/protein

9:30 - 10:30 = 8 oz water/protein

So there's my sample day, and I'm still only able to get in 48 oz water.

I def. need to call my dietician and see if they can provide a sample schedule. Also, I'm seeing a few inconsistentcies -- for example, "sip water constantly throughout the day, always have a bottle of water with you" vs. "do not drink 30 mins before or 2 hours after a meal."

I don't just drink 8 oz a day now. When you are fresh out of surgery it is slow, I didn't get in anything for 2 weeks and jsut tried to sip all day. You are on liquids I am assuming so the whole waiting to drink thing really doesn't come into play. You're not supposed to drink right after meals so that it doesn't wash the food out of the pouch, since you are on liquids it is all going down anyways. That will come into play when you are back on solids and by then your swelling should be down enough so that you can drink more than 8 oz of Water at a time. You really have to play this by ear in the beginning. I was getting in 400 calories and 16 oz of water a day for the first 2 weeks, I didnt' wither away and the energy level wasn't all that low. Shows you that our bodies can manage on much less than we think. Try to do what you can in the beginning but don't worry since this part will be over soon!

It hasn't been an issue yet, you're right, since everything is liquid. But today (not sure if I'll do it today or not, scared to after my PB) I can start mushies: cottage cheese, string cheese, refried Beans, deli chicken/turkey, canned fruits, etc. and I will need to follow the Water guidelines when I start mushies (according to dietician's information).

I haven't regained my appetite since surgery, so maybe I'll just sub. a meal & waiting time for Water until it becomes an issue of hunger. :)

WOW your doctor moves you along fast. I was banded on the 24th and this friday is comming up on my 2 week post op. I have liquids first 2 weeks, which I am allowed cream Soup and Protein shakes. Weeks 3 and 4 I get to blend meat cassoroles and fruits, can not be too chunky yet have to be in liquid form. Then weeks 5 and 6 are my mushies, potatos, soggy Cereal, runny oatmeal, fish and eggs. Also any other baby foods I wish to incorporate, yuck. The thursday night starting my week 5 I have big plans, firing up my grill and misqute smoking trout.

As far as my intake of Water I can not do just a couple of ounces every 20 minutes or so. Almost 2 weeks out I am able to put down a pint of Water pretty fast. Especially when I am either working or excercising. My biggest problem is going to be lunch. I am off to work during the busy season at 6:30 am and run straight through to 3 pm. Because of the 1 hour plus wait to drink water lunch is out for me on work days. I have a lawn and landscape business and am unwilling to give up my water down here in the heat for over an hour. Perhapse I can have a Protein shake or something. i was never a lunch eater anyway.

His plan is pretty quick - Water, Jello, popsicles days 1 - 4, then add in Protein drinks, thinned-down cream Soups, and yogurt days 4 - 6. Weeks 2 & 3 are mushies. I'm not too sure about beyond then, I only studied 2 weeks out. :)

This Water thing is killing me. There's already a 30ish pound difference in the scale, and I truly beliee at least 80% of that is dehydration. I'm accustomed to 120+ oz water a day, and I've been lucky to get about 30. I've started getting yuck mouth. :)

I'm not a Water drinker, so I have to change my whole way of thinking. I would rather drink cranberry juice or a diet cola (wow is my life going to change), but I'm sure willing to give it a try. It actually may help all the bladder infections I get because I don't drink enough water.

Wheetsin, you are still very newly banded. You don't have to worry about the liquids rules right now. You need to be concerned with getting nutrition and staying hydrated. If you aren't comfortable moving to the next stage, wait a few days. Stay on liquids for sure after that PB! Slow and steady. If it takes you 4 weeks to get to the 2 weeks post-op diet, you won't hurt a thing. Don't overthink it, it really isn't rocket science. Drink as much as you can and enjoy your down-time! You are doing great!

wheetsin

did your band doctor suggest a nutrition, or did you find one on your own...I am having trouble finding one that has knowledge of the band....i did call my band doctor and they suggested one, but she does it over the phone and i dont think I would like that.....

I see a lot of people eating mushies so soon after surgery I get a little jealous. With that said I decided to stick to my doctors rules. So far I am living on 2 Protein Shakes a day along with lots of Water. I also go to Baskin Robins, buddy of mine owns the one here, and get sugar free fat free vanilla yougart. That stuff is great. I also, at nights as a snack, have sugar free Jello with sugar free whip topping. I do add 1/2 banana to my shake everytime I make one, for potasium. I make sure there are no chunks left. Other than that I take vitamens and desicated liver. Once in a while i feel a little lite headed but I seem to have plenty of energy.

Hi...my name is Veronica and I had my lap-band surgery on the 17th of February. It has been almost 3 weeks now and I am feeling alot better now. Doing the creamy Soups, etc. When I went in for my follow-up a week later I had lost 7lbs:clap2:. I will be going in for my first fill in a couple of weeks and kinda excited about it but scared at the same time. I hear that they do not numb the area before doing the fill. I guess I will just have to wait and see.

Wondering if there is anyone out there that has also just had their band and if so, how are things going with you.

Also, for those of you that have had the band for awhile now....I would love to have some suggestions and/or information on how things started off with you. Is there anything else I can do to speed up the process:confused:?

did your band doctor suggest a nutrition, or did you find one on your own...
It's sort of a complete package. The center I used has a very comprehensive program complete with advisor, coordinator, psychologist, nutritionist, nurses specially trained on bariatric after care, etc. That's part of why I chose the surgeon I did, it impressed me.

Dody, I also get UTIs frequently. I only drank diet sodas pre-band. I can still drink them now, but because I burp less, the bottom-end gas isn't too pleasant. As far as I'm concerned, only pure Water (not the flavored kind) is the only way to keep my bladder in perfect working order.

However, I have developed my own all-natural UTI cure. When I start to feel irritated, I immediately drink 32 oz. of Water within 5 minutes. Once it comes out the other end, I'm all better.

And Wheetsin, as far as drinking before meals, you'll probably change those rules to adjust to your own body. I personally can feel water trickle through my empty pouch, so I don't need to wait 30 minutes after drinking to start eating. I think some of those rules are just there to scare us into changing our habits, but you'll make your own adjustments in time.

Wheetsin -

A lot of docs allow drinking up to eating, then drinking 1 hour after eating. That would certainly help with your timeline.

Also, I have never heard of rationing out the Water in oz increments except in RnY patients. I think most docs would say Water as tolerated, and not put restrictions on the amount at a time. As your stomach heals and the swelling goes down, most likely you will feel wide open and I can think of no logical reason to restrict your water to mere ozs at a time...

Of course, I am not a doctor - I am only relaying info that I've been told and info I've heard.

When all is said and done, one must always go back to their own doc for more guidance. I personally would challenge his instructions, but that's me... :D