Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why So Tight In The A.m.?

I had a fill early this week and I think I may be real close to the green zone (yay!). My question is this: can anyone explain the physiology on why the band seems tighter in the morning than later in the day?

I was watching out for this since I had read that caution from others. I'll have a cup of coffee and then I feel fine and can eat well the rest of the day. It's not bothersome nor does it hurt, I'm just wondering why this happens.

I honestly wonder too! I can't eat when I first get up; I have to wait at least a couple of hours. And then, maybe a Protein Bar really slowly! Maybe it's dehydration from overnight of not drinking....although I do find if I happen to have a nap in the afternoons I'm tight after I get up from that, so maybe it has something to do with lying down. But I'm sorry, I have no answers for you, only that I sympathize!

I've only had 1 fill, and I don't feel my band at all. How do you feel when your band is tight?

I've only had 1 fill' date=' and I don't feel my band at all. How do you feel when your band is tight?[/quote']

The band doesn't feel tight (I can't feel it on my stomach). It's when I eat or drink, I can feel the food there. When I drink hot liquid, I can feel it "relax". Does this make sense? When you have your first stuck/eat to fast/too big of a bite episode, you'll know.

I had a fill early this week and I think I may be real close to the green zone (yay!). My question is this: can anyone explain the physiology on why the band seems tighter in the morning than later in the day?

I was watching out for this since I had read that caution from others. I'll have a cup of coffee and then I feel fine and can eat well the rest of the day. It's not bothersome nor does it hurt' date=' I'm just wondering why this happens.[/quote']

The reason your "tight" in the morning is because your stomach is a mussel and it swells in the night! Great comparison is your fingers....sometimes in the morning your fingers swell and prevents u from taking your rings off or if you don't sleep with them putting them on. As the day goes on the swelling goes down which opens up the opening to your stomach a tad bit making it easier to eat! Protein shakes are the best breakfast!

It's completely normal. I am tight in the morning too. Cant eat anything thicker than scrammbled eggs. I usually have cottage cheese with a berry mixed in.

I wish we had an answer from a surgeon or other medical prodessiional on this issue. Would Alex know? It's wild why band us so restricted at various times from lying down and in morning to stress, etc.

weight.png

I'm always really tight in the morning, too. Interestingly, if I take a nap during the day, I wake up tight all over again. I had a nap too close to dinner last week and couldn't eat because of it.

It makes me wonder if it's something to do with sleeping rather than time of the day? I don't mind it, I just have a Protein shake for Breakfast every morning. But I am curious why it's so tight when waking up.

I'm always really tight in the morning, too. Interestingly, if I take a nap during the day, I wake up tight all over again. I had a nap too close to dinner last week and couldn't eat because of it.

It makes me wonder if it's something to do with sleeping rather than time of the day? I don't mind it, I just have a Protein shake for Breakfast every morning. But I am curious why it's so tight when waking up.

Me too! Even if it's only a 30 minute nap, I'm still tight again when I wake up. Weird!

It has to do with lying in a prone position. It makes you retain water- something that happens internally as well. Retained water=tight band

-Cordelia, banded 1/08

I'm really tight in the mornings almost so tight liquids won't go down except hot coffee if I dont have my coffee in the morning then I can't hardly eat anything during the day but if I drink coffee in the morning I can eat fine!

I drink shakes in the am and lunch- cant get much solid down except bad for you foods like chips

-Cordelia, banded 1/08

I drink shakes in the am and lunch- cant get much solid down except bad for you foods like chips

-Cordelia' date=' banded 1/08[/quote']

I know it's tough...sometimes I stick to Soup or cottage cheese, something healthy that can go through band. chips sound so good but if I do this I'm in big trouble!!!!!

weight.png

The reason your "tight" in the morning is because your stomach is a mussel and it swells in the night! Great comparison is your fingers....sometimes in the morning your fingers swell and prevents u from taking your rings off or if you don't sleep with them putting them on. As the day goes on the swelling goes down which opens up the opening to your stomach a tad bit making it easier to eat! Protein shakes are the best breakfast!

Mollie is exactly right...during the night body fluids shift out of our cells and into the spaces in between cells...mine goes exactly like my wedding band snug in the morning (shake only), good during the day, and then too loose at night...my ring is slipping off and I have to have the discipline not to do the evening snacking while watching TV!!! I think since I am three years out this variabilty is the hardest thing about the band...

So glad to see this post!! I had my second fill on June 20th and was able to ask my doctor why I feel so tight in the morning. He said that is ABSOLUTELY normal and it is because of the laying down so long. He explained it more but I don't remember it all...lol. He also said that it is best to stick with Protein Shakes in the morning.