Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Am I Crazy For Wanting Lap Band Surgery?

For all of you who have had lapband, did you ever get told you were crazy for thinking about it? I have my seminar this Saturday. You wouldnt believe the number of people who have told me to diet and exercise or that I'm just too lazy to do it the right way. I have tried all the diets: WW, Jenny Craig, HCG, diet pills, Nutrisystem, etc. I have lost 20 lbs or so and gained it back and then some. I am 5'0 and weigh 198. I have High blood pressure, high cholesterol and am pre-diabetic. I am so tired of losing it then gaining it back. My husband fully supports me in what I want but I am so tired of the negative comments from everyone else. I don't want to be skinny like I was before my son was born 26 years ago. I just want to be healthy and have a life and not stand on the sidelines when my grandkids want me to play because I get so out of breath. Any thoughts?

That is exactly the reason I told no one except my mother, husband and children before I had the surgery. After the surgery, more people eventually found out, but because they have seen my weight loss success so far, they have all be very positive.

No, you're not crazy. I've been there dieting long term, even with my band I'm still struggling. I work out all the time watch what I eat, but my body sometimes just doesn't want to coopoerate, and then often times neither does my brain or my willpower, lol.

Everybody is different. Do what you think is best for you, nevermind what anyone else has to say about it!

No you are not crazy you are making a good healthy choice for youself I to tried every diet every pill wirh exercise and lost nothing! This is not a lazy way out the band does not magically make you lose hundreds of points its a tool, aid, step in the right direction for healthy weight loss. Stay positive we are here for support weve been where you currently are!

All my best friends gave me similar advice. "Just do what I do", as if my situation and genetics are just like theirs. People who are thin or can lose weight easily don't understand so don't seek their advice unless you want negative responses. Even my wife questioned my decision for two years before surgery. Now she's a believer, but before, no. And she's a healthcare professional.

HAHA, the shrink I had to go to for BCBS approval told me I didn't need surgery and that her good friend had WLS and lost a ton of weight but put it all back on. The shrink wanted me to go on this P90X BS and come back to her office 3 times a week at $190 a visit. Kiss my what? :o

tmf

You're not crazy...I am 5 foot even and weighed 194 on the day of surgery. I got more grief from my family than anyone else. I was told that i didn't need it or why don't you do it the "right" way. As if I hadn't already tried that. You have to do whats right for you...and trust me this isn't the "easy" way. Anyone who says that hasn't travelled this path. My selling point on this is I needed a diet that I couldn't give up on...I wanted people to know because it makes me accountable. I want to prove the naysayer wrong and not disappoint my cheer leaders. It's a win/win :)

I too had alot of people tell me I was too lazy and stupid for wanting surgery. I told no one except my husband, kids, mother in law and just a few others. I come from an obese family and my father died in his early thirties due to his obesity so for me to make this decision, I know I did the right thing. No one knows what your life is about and how you've suffered so it is a choice that only you can make. I made my decision and said the he'll with everyone else.

Sorry but you struck a nerve. I also got the "try my diet" BS, like, the cabbage diet(ugh, I hate cabbage), or the organic acai crap fruit smoothy , or the prepackaged food diets(like I can live like this forever), and the P90X diet where you spend hours a week fatiguing your body with exercises that would kill most people. Or, "I just walk 3 miles everyday and I never gain weight"( good for you, it aint gonna work for me). And my favorite "eat from the pyramid group of foods and exercise mildly every day"(Duh!)

tmf

Who this conversation seems all too familiar. I got banned on Monday and I only told a few people. Since then more people are finding out and they are saying oh I'm doing it the natural way like my way is bad. I'm 5'1 at 192 lbs and my BMI is 36. I have high blood pressure and issues with my knees because I'm too heavy. I've been on every diet out there you can think of and as soon as I stopped dieting the weight came right back. Not that's my friend know that if got the band they are all claiming to exercise and eat healthy. Like they are trying to prove something to me. I don't get it. But to answer your question know you are not crazy. It amazing me how much I have motivated others to exercise and eat healthier but before they doin out I got the lapband they were not doing anything.

Who this conversation seems all too familiar. I got banned on Monday and I only told a few people. Since then more people are finding out and they are saying oh I'm doing it the natural way like my way is bad. I'm 5'1 at 192 lbs and my BMI is 36. I have high blood pressure and issues with my knees because I'm too heavy. I've been on every diet out there you can think of and as soon as I stopped dieting the weight came right back. Not that's my friend know that if got the band they are all claiming to exercise and eat healthy. Like they are trying to prove something to me. I don't get it. But to answer your question know you are not crazy. It amazing me how much I have motivated others to exercise and eat healthier but before they doin out I got the lapband they were not doing anything.

That's a great point emonie. My wife the healthcare professional and lapband skeptic, has lost 10 lbs since I entered the green zone. She's a believer now so that's a great point that we can influence others with our good eating habits.

tmf

I was repeatedly told by friends and family "Oh you don't need to have Lap Band surgery, you're not that big." I was carrying 251 pounds on a 5'4" frame, making me morbidly obese. I couldn't stand for long periods or my feet would hurt or go numb. I had unbelievable back pain to the point where I thought I had bulging discs and went to see a spine surgeon. I had heartburn every single day. My cholesterol and triglycerides were through the roof. I had polycystic ovaries and my future fertility was at risk. Most of all, I was depressed, tired all the time, and hated what I saw in the mirror. I hid from cameras, and isolated myself in my house. I knew I had to make a change or I would face an early grave. Lap Band was the best decision I ever, ever made, and I would do it all over again tomorrow.

My point is this: no one lives in your skin but you, and they don't know what you're going through. If you know in your heart that Lap Band is the right choice for you, tell everyone else to jump off a bridge. It's not their health, their happiness, or their life. Make the best decision for you, and you won't regret it.

I personally wouldn't worry about what other people thought! This is a choice that you will have to live with! If you want to get it done go for it...those people don't have to live in ur body and take meds that's all you! Like the other lady I haven't told many people that I've had it done,but I'm only 3 wks out. Good luck with whatever decision you make!

I was lucky in that no one commented to my face (just discussions and questions from family and friends). I don't know if they called me crazy/lazy/stupid behind my back! I've tried every other diet out there too. I knew I had such a hard time with them. This is definitely a tool which can make things easier. As long as your hubby is supportive, I hope that's all you need as he'll be the main one dealing with your new eating. Hopefully others will come around as they see you being successful, but as mentioned, you're doing this for yourself, not for what others are going to think!

Ummm yes. Ignore it! I look at my family and see that parents, grandparents, siblings, aunts and uncles all heavy some having bypass others lapband...health issues for those who didn't. Yoyo dieting. For the first tone in my life the band has helped me stay in control of my eating....no regrets and I don't care if anyone thought I was crazy. I did this for me and my family and life.

weight.png

I really didn't much care what people said. Though I really didn't get that much negativity from people ( that I know of).

The majority of my family I told after it was done. And I told the few girls that work with about two weeks before. I just told them when I would be out and what it was for. I am the boss, so im sure they didn't say what they wanted to say :-).

But I really didn't ask any one for an opinion as it is my decision. And now that I am almost at goal wearing a size 10. They would eat their words anyway. If they think it was the easy way out, oh well, at least I got there. Cheating death, not taxes ;-)