Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Knew This Would Happen Eventually But...

When I lay down and tense my abdominal muscles, my port sticks out pretty far (I had SILS so it's below my belly button). It looks like a freakin' pop up timer on a chicken! It is oddly fascinating and utterly disturbing at the same time. I expected that this would happen at some point, but I'm still at least 15 pounds from goal and have a considerable belly pooch, so I was surprised. I do a good amount of ab work so maybe that has something to do with it.

I guess I just need to express my freaked-out-ness, but I'm also curious if anyone has taken the step to have a low-profile port put in and if it has made any difference. I know once I lose more it will stick out even more, and Lord only knows what will happen when I have kids.

I have no advise on the port but thanks for the laugh.

The chicken timer cracked me up!

Congrats on the weight loss, awesome.

Very funny I'm not banded yet so no advice but thanks for making me smile

I was wondering about that!!! When I saw it in the dr office- it seemed pretty flat.

Mine looked truly freaky, and at a BMI of 20, I dint have to lay down, it stuck out when I was standing up too. It looked like a walnut under my skin.

I had a Tummy Tuck and ventral/inguinal hernia repair ten weeks ago during which my PS moved my port to right by my navel and took the back off it to reduce the profile (there's no low profile port for my 7 year old 4cc band). Its now virtually invisible, even at my low weight. Its very flat, but he also put it right by my navel where you have a natural fat pad, not up and to the side in that hollow we all have outside of our rectus muscles.

I was lucky to have this without getting a new scar (well, I got a tummy tuck scar, but you know what I mean). But I would say a scar is well worth the better look of no lumpy port.

I would definitely go back to your surgeon and have him do it right. I don't have a low profile port and I can hardly feel mine, much less see it. This just doesn't sound right. This is not funny.

There's nothign necessarily wrong abuot a visible port. They are a fairly large unit, well the old style ones anyway, and I had a BMI of under 20, there is no way you WONT see a port on a body that low in fat. Many many people have visible ports and there is nothing wrong with them.

It may not ever become visible if you're more apple shaped and carry more weight round your middle.

I asked for a low profile port & even reminded the dr when he came in to see me b4 surgery. I've lost 85 lbs & have about 40 to go. I'm also fairly small around my waist, naturally. So far it's not sticking out but I'm pretty sure the band may -- I can feel it easily. Hopefully, it won't show under clothes. If it does, we'll see. Congrats on a super accomplishment & doing all the an work!

The more weight I lose I can feel my port stick out. I talked to my doc and he said he can put it a low profile when it gets more noticeable. He said he just numbs it and does it in the office. I hope its not a big deal to get it changed. Let me know what your doctor says and how big a deal it is to change it.